Restoring sanity next Saturday

Rally to Restore Sanity

Being a sane person who now lives within a five-hour drive of Washington DC, I’ve decided to attend the Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive next Saturday, October 30th. For those of you who live in foreign lands or don’t have cable, this event is being held by Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, hosts of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. They generally serve as court jesters pointing out the absurdity in American politics. Anyway, they are hella’ funny and smart, and I think the rally will be a blast as long as I bring several layers and a polar fleece. I’m also exactly the type of person the rally is intended for—someone who believes in sanity in politics, but is too lazy to leave my apartment to campaign or attend any rallies to do anything about it. It’s a rally for people who don’t usually attend rallies! That’s me!

I’m crashing with an old high school friend Friday night, and I’m leaving the city right after the rally ends at 3pm. But if you are in town Saturday morning, perhaps we could meet up and eat up at a breakfast establishment before huddling together for warmth at the rally. Comment here or email me at blog (at) pastaqueen [dot] com. We’ll figure something out. Just don’t be surprised when you see that I’m 50 pounds heavier than from my thinnest, ok? It’s good insulation, my head hurts, and sometimes I need the ice cream.

If you don’t live close to Washington DC, you can check this meetup page to see if there is a satellite rally happening near you. According to the rally web site, the event will be broadcast live on Comedy Central and streamed live on their web site. Watch and try to spot me! It will be like playing Where’s Waldo.

Emily • October 22, 2010 at 8:32 pm

maybe I will see you there!

Agatha C. • October 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I am so jealous. I live in California and am having a Halloween party that night, but I would so be there if I could!!

Carol • October 22, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I live about 90 minutes west of D.C. and I don’t think you’ll be all that cold next week. October is usually D.C.’s best weather month…not to hot, not too cold.

Have fun at the rally. I’ll be hanging out at soccer games where the only politics involve whether the kids on the opposing team are playing a little to rough. Ahhh, suburbia.

Ana • October 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I vote for an NC meet up, since it looks like I will have just missed you (in DC this week, but back in NC the next). Have a great time!

KitschenBitsch • October 22, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Heading up there from NC, too! Mayhap a meetup? Though I figure I’ll run into you in the triangle eventually…. but that sounds creepy.

Lanie • October 23, 2010 at 6:54 am

That’s so cool!

Ron • October 23, 2010 at 7:28 am

Very cool,,,,,, it should be alot of fun….

Welmoed • October 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I’d love to have the chance to meet you. Where were you thinking of breakfasting? Everything downtown will be insanely mobbed, but there are plenty of nice places away from the Mall.

PastaQueen • October 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

@Welmoed – Cool! I’ll be coming from the Arlington area, so if you know anything near the subway lines between there and the mall, I’m up for recommendations.

Cathleen • October 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I’ll be attending the Chicago satellite rally. Wish I could go to DC!!!

Kelly • October 24, 2010 at 11:34 pm

My husband is planning to go to the Rally, though I am not (I am recovering from a broken foot, and I’m not sure I could handle the necessary amount of walking). I’d be interested in meeting for breakfast, though. Especially since I just realized that we were probably within miles of each other this afternoon!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • October 25, 2010 at 10:32 am

I wish I was closer, what a fantastic event!! Enjoy PQ!

Charity Froggenhall • October 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Awesome! My hubs & I are going too! We’re taking Amtrak down that morning!

Lisa E.. • October 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm

PQ,
I don’t know of any breakfast places in Arlington but there is a fabulous Whole Foods Market on Wilson Blvd. that has hot breakfast, coffee and just about anything else you would want. There is a nice seating area in an upstairs loft. Once you decide, post where you will be. I would love to join you!

Barry Hughes • October 26, 2010 at 8:13 pm

That ought to be a very fun time. If I weren’t getting ready to head to Alabama then I might make the trip. It’s only 6 hours for me from Ohio.

PastaQueen • October 27, 2010 at 4:25 pm

After consulting people familiar with DC, I decided it was best to have the meetup in Arlington to avoid huge crowds. Someone suggested the Whole Foods at2700 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201. They have a breakfast bar which serves a variety of items from eggs, bacon, pancakes, coffee and more. They’ve got a seating area (in a loft evidently) which I think will work better than meeting up at a restaurant because we can sit there for a few hours and people can come and go without annoying a waitress or other people waiting for tables.

So, I will be there from approximately 9am-11am until I head down to the rally. The Whole Foods is halfway between the Clarendon and Court House stops of the Metro’s Orange line. We can take the Orange Line down to the Smithsonian stop and walk to the mall.

I’ve created a Google Map with all the locations marked here: http://tinyurl.com/pqdcmeetup I’ll monitor my Twitter @jennettefulda on the day of in case anyone needs to contact me.

Looking forward to meeting you all!