Lock up your china!

Below is my most favorite-est mug in the whole, wide world in a photo I snapped earlier this month while testing my new shock-proof, water-proof, gravity-proof, Jennette-proof camera. (Thanks, Dad!) I love this mug so much for reasons I don’t quite understand. Perhaps it is the translucent coating that makes it seem blue and purple at the same time. Perhaps it is the smartly curved lip and the easy to hold handle. Perhaps it is the weight and the size and some undefinable quality of love injected into it by its creator. But let it be known, I do love this mug.

And here is my mug as of this morning:

If my little Java Bean were not a total cuddle monkey, I would have to get rid of him. Sometimes I suspect he is a sociopath who quietly manipulates me with snuggles and nose lickings only so he can systematically break every piece of china and glassware I own without fear of reproof. My Beanie Baby is a total mischief-maker, but he also cuddles my face and sleeps on my pillow at night, so he gets away with it. I guess I love my kitty more than I love my mug, but damn, I really did love that mug.

One Trackback

JenFul » Glass breaker · June 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm

[…] Bean has broken over ten glasses, two plates, and one beloved coffee mug over the past few years. (I’m evidently not a fast learner, but I swear I can be trained!) […]

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • April 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

Oh man! I hate when shit like that happens…thank goodness he’s a cuddle monkey! You’ll have the memories, you’ll have the pictures, you’ll remember the warmth of the coffee in that pretty mug…

Lisa • April 28, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Hahaha! What a little demon! My kitties have broken many many things. And always look at me innocently. :)

eggy wegg • April 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

His sister is just as evil and certainly crazier.

Laura Pugh • April 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I’m sorry you lost your favorite mug. I’m wondering if Java Bean maybe knew how much you loved that mug and could not tolerate the competition.

He’s awfully handsome. You have to be ware of the dark, handsome, charming ones. They seem to always have an agenda. :)

Sheryl • April 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Yes, my cat has broken quite a few things — I put my collection of Depression glass behind cabinet doors because of her desire to leap onto every display shelf I have.

As for the mug — an opportunity to find a NEW favorite — how about a Hello Kitty mug?

Susan • April 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm

This tragedy recently befell another blogger I love. Your mugs are surprisingly similar:

Lyn • April 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Oh. See, I saw this coming. He is totally getting back at you for not putting HIM on MSNBC. See?

RNegade • April 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Oh, damn! That really was a beautiful mug, but the mug on the critter is so much more…what’s the word…cuddlishus. Also, be grateful he doesn’t spray all over your apartment. *sigh*

MB • April 28, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Bummer. That mug was a beauty. I just lost my most favorite mug too. I’ve been searching and searching but haven’t been able to find a good replacement yet. You would think it would be easy but I want a really big mug so I don’t have to keep refilling my caffeine. ;)

Rebecca • April 29, 2010 at 8:52 am

Well, on the bright side, you can start hunting for that next inanimate object to love and adore, right? ;)

Jessica • April 29, 2010 at 9:24 am

My little baby recently knocked an angel off the shelf, ripped it’s head off, and whacked it around the house. Now she’s gunning for the only other angel in my house, but it’s less breakable. So while Java Bean destroyed something you love, take comfort in the fact that he’s not on God’s bad side!

Amy • April 29, 2010 at 9:53 am

I totally understand. Before I bring anything into my apartment I ask myself, “Is it Norman proof?” My cat Norman is a monster when it comes to mischief making!!

Rebecca • April 29, 2010 at 10:53 am

This post made me miss my own kitty so much! Sadly, she had to be put to sleep in January and the apartment is just not the same without her. She never broke any dishes but we couldn’t leave any food out (think apples, peaches, pears, tomatoes) in a bowl because she would sneak up on the table in the night and take a little nibble out of each piece of fruit…except tomatoes…we’d find them all over the floor in the morning hollowed out with just the skins left! It was so strange. She didn’t just nibble one peach…she would nibble every single peach. It’s as if she was just testing to see if they all tasted the same!

Karen • April 30, 2010 at 9:24 am

My son has a cat like that. I had her live with us for a while. I was about ready to kill her before she was taken back home. She loved to watch items “commit suicide.” That means she would see an object on a raised surface, and then she would tap, tap, tap with her paw until it “jumped” off the surface.

I know what you are going through. I had many a prized object meet an untimely death thanks Sasha!

Lurker • April 30, 2010 at 10:52 am

Weird coincidence. My very favorite mug broke yesterday morning, and I completely surprised myself at how upset I was! I hadn’t even realized how much I loved it, or how I always picked it first, until it broke. Other weird coincidence: I also have a very mischievous black cat who breaks things. But this time it wasn’t his fault, it was mine.

Sorry about your mug!

Mary • May 1, 2010 at 8:24 am

I am sure this is anathema, but I use an old coffee-stained plastic mug, almost 30 years of togetherness now. I garden a lot and take it with me and do not have to worry about it breaking. Sometimes I lose it in the garden, but I always know it is waiting for me, I just have to find it. No one else would ever take it, it looks like a hazmat team should cart it off.

Rob • May 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm

We have a manipulative little guy just like that one!

Lanine Bradley • May 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm

At least for you it’s the kitty. The teens in my house seem hell-bent on destroying all my favorite cups.

Nina • May 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm

My niece has a New England Patriots mug, that look just like it, in size and shape! She says all the NFL teams use the same style mug!

Pam • August 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Years ago my cat (since deceased) got up on my chest of drawers in my bedroom, and it had intricate little shelves along each side so she had to work hard to find her way onto one of those little shelves, and knocked over (and broke) an antique Wedgewood vase I had inherited from my Great Aunt. I glued it back together, but it is totally worthless now. Yet, I kept my kitty, and she wasn’t even very nice to me–she liked to bite. She lived to the ripe old age of 18, guess meanness equates longevity?