For the past two Januaries, I’ve written out a list of 3-5 goals I want to accomplish in the upcoming year. I’ve also reflected on last year’s goals to see if I did what I wanted to do. I like to at least attempt to have forward momentum in my life, and having my list of goals above my desk helps with that.
Here’s where I stand with my 2009 goals:
1) Continue to pursue headache treatments
I first went to the headache clinic in January of 2009. Within a few months, we were managing my headache much better, though not ridding me of it completely. We’re still tweaking meds, but overall this goal was pretty much met.
2) Work to become full-time freelancer
I chucked my job in July of 2009 and haven’t looked back. I don’t know how I ever coped with working in an office in the first place. I still don’t have a long-term health insurance solution, but I’ll deal with that at the end of 2010. Another goal accomplished!
3) Maintain my weight with regular fitness and health eating
I’m going to give myself a C+ on this one. I continued to gain weight at the beginning of the year, but I’ve been maintaining for the past several months. I could do better, but managing the headache comes before weight loss, even in this list.
4) Secret goal I will not reveal because I like driving you crazy
Also, I did absolutely nothing to work on this goal, so major FAIL on my part.
5) Travel outside the country
Done. I saw London, I saw France! I only packed four pairs of underpants! (Travel light, and do laundry in the sink.)
Overall, pretty good job, but there is room for improvement. After some thought, here are my goals for 2010:
1) Secret goal I will not reveal to preserve an air of mystery
2) Lose at least 20 pounds by July.
3) Travel to at least 3 new places.
4) Finish and promote headache memoir
5) Another secret goal, in case I hadn’t driven you mad already.
I’ve printed my goals and taped them to my desk. Now I just have to achieve them!