Some days you just feel like some links

Sound Medicine

It is very quiet where I work. I sit in a room with several other geeks and the only sound is the mashing of keyboards as we type to each other on IM. I listen to podcasts on my headphones to break the silence. My latest find is the show Sound Medicine, produced by the Indiana University School of Medicine and WFYI Public Radio.

It is well produced, so I was surprised to discover it’s not a national show, just a home-grown Indiana product. Each week they cover several medical topics, interview authors, and talk to experts. They cover obesity fairly frequently, so if your ears need some company, I suggest you check them out. This week in particular they have stories about the effects of overeating, how exercise elevates mood, and how money can motivate you to stick to a diet.

GoodFoodNearYou

I usually delete most of the press releases I receive, but I recently got one for a site called GoodFoodNearYou that is worth mentioning. You enter your zip code or location into their search box and the site returns a list of nearby restaurants and suggests the healthiest item on their menu. You can also download apps for your iPhone or Blackberry. Looks handy and saves you the trouble of searching the restaurant’s site for the nutritional information so you can make a healthy decision.

Mel • March 18, 2009 at 10:32 am

Thanks for the links!

The good food near you site seems like it would be a great idea.. but beware.. I checked it for my location and it’s all chain restaurants.. AND the info was way off..

Example:

Moe’s Southwest Grill

Healthiest Choice: Homewrecker Meatless Burrito with Pinto Beans

Within 1 miles | View Menu

Fat 27g | Calories 7 | Carbs 100g

A 7 calorie burrito… really?..

Just a heads up for you and your readers!

: )

PastaQueen • March 18, 2009 at 10:56 am

@Mel – Good to know. It looks like you can report errors on the site to get that fixed.

Terri • March 18, 2009 at 10:58 am

Money does it for me! I’ve just lost 13 pounds in the Scaleback Alabama program and got $50 for reaching my goal! Scaleback Alabama is a program where people compete for prizes if they lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks.

Nina • March 18, 2009 at 11:15 am

Mwahaha! Apparently, the healthiest thing near me was buffalo wings from Chuck E. Cheese, and a pretzel from Costco.

Meg • March 18, 2009 at 11:19 am

oooh! Thanks for the link to GoodFoodNearYou! Definitely something helpful for someone who likes to eat out as much as I do.

JEM • March 18, 2009 at 12:08 pm

GoodFoodNearYou has some kinks to work out for sure. The Healthiest Choice recommendation is rarely the healthiest. It looks like it is just the lowest in calories. However it has the potiental to be a useful site for sure!! Thanks.

Karen B. • March 18, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Loved that link goodfoodnearyou but they only have fast food near me. No regular restaurants. I hope they’re still working on it.

Thanks for the other links, I’m going to look up that radio show, it sounds interesting and I love talk radio.

Maggie • March 18, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I donno if you like Jillian Michaels, but if you do she has great podcasts on KFI AM that you can find on iTunes.

Lila • March 18, 2009 at 7:02 pm

OMG! That good food for you site SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I live near a million healthy restaraunts and cafes and vegetarian places, etc, and all it showed was starbucks, 7-11, mcdonalds… I don’t even know where those chains are in my area! Ridiculous.

Shannon @ The Daily Balance • March 18, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Great links!

I love your blog (and your sarcastic wit)!

I’ve been reading for awhile, but this is my first comment.

I recently launched my own blog and I hope you check it out!!

Heather • March 18, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Thank you for the podcast link. I’m always looking for new additions to my iPod. :)

Rebecca Hoover • March 19, 2009 at 2:35 am

Awwww, I just read your tweet, I don’t tweet but now I’m very sad too. I’m so sorry, I hope you feel better tomorrow. I wish I could do something for you, you do so much for all your readers. I’ll be thinking of you.

Herbalife Australia • March 19, 2009 at 11:47 am

I have now googled such a link for myself in our area but it does not have the option for our area. great read in your blog though enjoying it thanks

LacubriousOne • March 19, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Why are you sad, PastaQueen? Is it your cats, your headache, the weather, or something more terrible???? Please tell us!

DLPF • March 19, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Exercise elevates mood – absolutely! If you work out regularly you know this. The hard part is getting started if you don’t, and sometimes just getting out there and doing it when you’re feeling burned out and unmotivated. I know from personal and professional experience – I do nutrition counseling.

As for GoodFoodNearYou – it’s a great info app, obviously may have some kinks at first. It doesn’t claim to do anything but give you information, and plenty of people appreciate the timely calorie information when they’re staring at a menu. If it doesn’t have all the little local places listed it’s because those little local places haven’t posted information, or they just haven’t gotten around to it. After all, there are only like 1 million restaurants in the US.

OneScoop • March 22, 2009 at 4:51 pm

@Mel –

How funny! I saw the same chain foods near my city. The noteable listings that cracked me-up: Popeye’s and 7-Eleven!

Denise • March 23, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I appreciate the goodfoodnearyou link. I shall keep checking it to see if the suggestions improve. So far the closest place to me is a 7-11 that offers a 45g fat hot dog. Mmmm. Hot dogs… wait what? I mean, I’m repulsed! hehe They offer turkey/cheese sandwiches there; surely they are healthier. Does this mean when I eat the hot dogs and gain more weight I can say the site made me do it?? ;)