So, how are the cats getting along?

I was wondering – and this is REALLY important – how are the cats getting along???? – Rhonda

Well, Rhonda, the cats’ relationship is best explained through this photo story I assembled last night before I realized how long it would take to assemble a photo story.

Cats - a saga

The relationship between Officer Krupke and Java Bean is similar to the one I would have with Rachael Ray during a long car ride. I’d have to be sure to drive very slowly so the cops wouldn’t pull me over and find her body in my trunk. I can’t find any real “faults” with Rachael Ray, but the thought of being locked up with someone that hyper in a small space for a long time makes me vomit-y.

Similarly, Officer Krupke and Java Bean are locked in a one bedroom apartment all day with their irreconcilable differences. Java Bean wants to play every second of every day and Office Krupke wants to nap every second of every day, except for those seconds when he wants to eat. Java Bean is too dense to realize Krupke doesn’t want to play, so he pounces on his prey and chases him until ultimately Krupke is hissing from the high ground of the microwave.

Thankfully, Java Bean is easily distracted by moving objects, so a feather wand or laser pointer can quickly diffuse the situation. But the fundamental personality differences remain. So my dreams of seeing my kitties cuddle up licking each other will never be. However, I love them both too much to give them up, so we just cope as best we can, and I keep their nails trimmed to limit emergency vet visits.

Barb Cooper • March 17, 2009 at 8:48 am

We have two cats with similar personalities. Nevertheless, they do actually cuddle on occasion. Java Bean will someday switch to decaf… I promise.

Of course, in our house the big fat cat discovered that he, um, well, REALLY, REALLY likes the thinner, more energetic one on occasion if you know what I’m saying (notthathere’sanytingwrongwiththat) which has added a complexity that, frankly, I could have done without.

Heidi • March 17, 2009 at 9:02 am

Hilarious post. I agree that Java Bean will probably calm down. Who knows if they’ll get along, but hopefully they’ll tolerate each other better. It’s kind of like the relationship between all of my cats and my dog–she REALLY wants to play with them and they hate her. Thank god for cat trees.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? • March 17, 2009 at 9:28 am

I have very similar sentiments about RR. Her recipes are great, she however, is not. Hopefully the cats will learn to love each other!

Rhonda • March 17, 2009 at 9:32 am

HEELARIOUS!!!!!

I am the Officer Krupke to the Java Bean’s of the human variety!

Rhonda

K. • March 17, 2009 at 9:46 am

LOL! Javabean looks & acts just like my Mimi! I cannot WAIT until she calms down.

still reading • March 17, 2009 at 10:18 am

No worries, when JB grows up, he’ll want to nap all the time too. It just might take a few years! I have an adult and a baby cat also, and the adult hisses at the baby a lot…I hate it,but so far no blood, and there is some cuddling and grooming, so thats good.

Pauline • March 17, 2009 at 10:21 am

I tried to suppress a giggle, as I am at the office right now, enjoying your photo “love” romance. Will there be a sequel? ;-)). You have talent for this! Enjoyed your book very much, by the way. Just finished it, being VERY inspired by it. Would like to lose 20 pounds, and will start with a little more activity each day. Thanks for being so open about your weight loss, I cried and laughed through your book! Best, Pauline

miss_thing • March 17, 2009 at 10:23 am

This totally has me doing the surreptitious snort-chuckle at my desk – so funny. I’ve been in the same situation, and Java Bean will eventually calm down as he gets a bit older. Officer Krupke may never have warm feelings for Java Bean, but eventually they’ll fall into a fairly peaceful coexistence. It took my 10-year old about 6 months to accept the new guy and to deign to be in the same room with him. Then they’d lay down next to each other (but not touch), and at the end of a year or so, the older guy would allow the younger one to groom him for a limited amount of time. So, patience!

Jenni • March 17, 2009 at 10:38 am

That is such and awesome photo story. It describes almost exactly the situation at my house. Except the role of Java Bean is played by a 76 lb puppy and Officer Krupke is played by a grumpy 10 lb cat that occasionally will chase the pup with a front claw extended while running on the other three legs. Quite amusing (to me not the cat or the dog). Maybe I will have to do a photo story now.

Jenni • March 17, 2009 at 10:40 am

@Jenni – I meant “an” not “and”. My fingers have a mind of their own!!

Jen • March 17, 2009 at 10:49 am

They totally cuddle when you aren’t looking. At least, that’s what I tell myself about the felines that live in my house.

Tanya • March 17, 2009 at 10:54 am

@Barb Cooper – I get what you’re sayin’. One of my cats does that, too, once in awhile. The vet said it’s a dominance thing. Which is weird, because he’s not a very dominant cat.

Annalisa • March 17, 2009 at 11:59 am

I laughed so loud looking at your photos!! That is fantastic. It made my morning.

I have an 12 yr old snarky dog, who I adore, and a 6 month old kitten who couldn’t be more affectionate — the relationship is similar to your cats….

I kind of feel bad sometimes about the situation but it is hard not to laugh when the cat goes all kamikaze crazy on the dog who just sits there and takes it…..I’m told I have about 8 more years until the cat calms down.

At the end of the day, they are pretty neutral to one another.

Peggasus • March 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm

HA! Mine are just like that too, only the dumb, skinny black cat is named Griffin and the lazy one is Juno. They are both almost two years old (we think). Griff is totally her bitch, though, he does most of the licking/grooming shit (you know what I mean). He’s the most fun and affectionate by far, whereas nobody really likes her very much.

Damn, you’d think she’d be more grateful after being rescued from the shelter and all.

Lori • March 17, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Though I am not a cat person, this is cute.

And by the way, when RR is on, I mute the TV.

Jen Hughes • March 17, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Oh, man. You just described the relationship of my two (Gracie is 10 and Dewey is not even one yet).

I really, really feel your pain.

jennywenny • March 17, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Oh bless them, so cute! I hope java bean calms down one day!

MS Sarah • March 17, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I will say, we had a similar situation in my house, except with dogs. They were both young – about 1 yr and 1.5 yrs when the younger one came home. They definitely took time to warm up. There wasn’t all out warfare since they are two of the most non-dominant creatures known to man – however, there was a lot of indifference and unhappiness when big dog wanted to lie there and little dog thought it woudl be fun to eat her leg out from under her. At about the 1 yr mark they suddenly became best friends forever – they sleep on top of one another on the couch on occaision.

Jamie • March 17, 2009 at 2:29 pm

You singlehandedly just moved my day from a cranky one to a happy one. I loved that, and your cats have the best names ever.

Jess • March 17, 2009 at 2:35 pm

The last photo reminds me of this webcomic: http://www.nekothekitty.net/cusp/daily.php?date=090305

anji • March 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm

You know me and my story… and, they never got along except at the end when the other knew the other was dying. Peace lasted for one week out of five years.

I love the comment about the short-nails… well, sometimes after a good fight, I’d have to do a “once-over” on the cats, separately of course. Often I’d find parts of their nails/claws in each other’s heads and things. Ick!

Quix • March 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Also not a cat person personally (and it’s a good thing because they give my fiance asthma attacks), but this is adorable!

Tina • March 17, 2009 at 5:26 pm

That really made my day. It totally reminded me of my cats. Since I have that same rug, I could just picture that the same thing was happening at my house – although my rug has a fair amount more cat hair on it. Mine are long haired and it’s impossible to keep under control.

emi s. • March 17, 2009 at 5:46 pm

awesome post, i LOVE the photo essay. and i feel you on the cat-problems, i had a similar one at one time.

Sara • March 17, 2009 at 6:52 pm

That’s hilarious! Your black cat looks just like my kitty Spike :)

Kori • March 17, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I read somewhere that there is a ‘glade-plug-in’ type product that emits some kind of Happy-Cat pheromone which calms cats down and makes them get along better. I think you can get it at a pet supply store or a vet’s office. I haven’t found it here in Canada so far, but if I could, I’d try it for my two troublemakers.

eggy weggs • March 17, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Wolfie was hissing at Java Bean’s sister this evening!

He looks so handsome and grown-up now.

Krupke looks lovely, as always.

Inny • March 17, 2009 at 11:58 pm

As someone who’s had 5 cats in the house (not to mention the other animals) I’ve been in the same situation. What a great idea to make a photo story!

Katie • March 18, 2009 at 12:47 am

“The relationship between Officer Krupke and Java Bean is similar to the one I would have with Rachael Ray during a long car ride.”

That made me LOL. Perfect mental image. heehee.

Dee • March 18, 2009 at 3:08 am

Since this post referenced your kitties, I thought it was the perfect time to ask about the pedipaws. You mentioned it being in the background of your oatmeal gift basket photo, and since that time I have wondered whether it would be a worthwhile investment to use on my kitty (Maya, who happens to be a 12 1/2 lb version of your Java Bean) Hoping to hear back. Thanks. Dee

Rah • March 18, 2009 at 8:16 am

I liked Rachel Raye when she first came on the air and was real, but stopped watching when she got so hyper. People, it is merely a cheese sandwich, not a [hair toss, fake laugh] !!YUM !!!!!! SAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [arm pump, giggle]

The cat story is hilarious. Even without words. Go Krupke, hold your ground!

Rochelle • March 18, 2009 at 8:42 am

I love it!

My two kitties have the same personalities, even though they are brother & sister. I do catch them snuggling on occasion! The grooming starts out tame but one inevitably gets annoyed with the other and all hell breaks loose.

maggieapril • March 18, 2009 at 10:41 am

My two cats get along well (although there is no snuggling) but I just added a super-hyper 2 year old chihuahua to the mix. I can only hope she mellows with age. I find myself constantly yelling “leave the cat alone!!” Fortunately, the dog is half the size of the cats so they aren’t the least bit afraid of her, but that doesn’t stop the dog from going back for more – not unlike human sibling dynamics.

Manda Pants • March 18, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Ah! You are my hero! You have managed to bend the will of kittens to accept the scary but superior pedi-paws. HOW?! Mine are still cowering in fear.

logtar • March 18, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Weird that those cats look so much like mine and they behave so similar.

Angie • March 18, 2009 at 4:30 pm

We have a 8 year old cat, a 1 year old cat (that we got when she was six months old) and a three year old cat. The 8 year old will very occasionally play with the baby, but most of the time the baby will torment the 8 year old over and over and over again until the 8 year old finally gets up, gives her a good swat, and she cries and slinks off.

We keep hoping she’ll learn to quit instigating. :P

Tori • March 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm

@Kori – It’s called Feliway or Comfort Zone.

You can buy it online. It’ll probably be the best thing you’ll do for your cats if there is a rivalry going on.

KateG • March 19, 2009 at 8:12 am

Thanks, this made my day! I wish I could have 2 cats, but my kitty absolutely hates other cats. She is ok with dogs though, as long as they are not cat-sized.

Esmeralda • March 23, 2009 at 3:40 pm

This photocomic is so perfectly expressive. I know this situation so very well, and live every day.

My empathy and amusement are both on full

Robyn • April 7, 2010 at 12:18 am

Lol! Luckily BOTH my cats are lazy, but they still don’t get along. They do seem to have developed rules over the years though. Tigger, the older, slimmer cat, is allowed to sleep when he’s on an ottoman or a chair. This is mostly because Sully, the younger, enormously fat Maine Coon cat, does not like jumping onto ottomans or chairs. They are high and sometimes he does not make it. That can be quite embarrassing for him.

I still love them! They make me laugh. :)

Also, if you haven’t already seen it, you should go watch this parody of Rachael Ray on youtube… it’s hilarious!

Pam • July 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm

That picture story was hilarious!