Some stuff about my stuff

My stuff

Do I need to keep the Corn Chex branded Rubik’s Cube with blueberries and strawberries on the side? What about The Bangles EP for “Hazy Shade of Winter?” Is it worth storing all these young adult novels in the closet when I haven’t read them since I was a young adult?

I’ve been asking myself these questions the past few months as I clean out my closets and bookshelves. I hate having too much stuff. Stuff sits around, taking up room. Stuff is heavy to lift and carry down stairs to a moving truck. Stuff consists of very little I need.

I enjoy getting rid of my stuff. When I went through my file cabinets last year, I was tempted to keep all the notes I’d taken in college complete with doodles. The more doodles, the more boring the class. It reminded me of that time in my life, but I don’t need those notes anymore. If I needed the information in them, I would turn to Google before my file folders. I hadn’t even looked at these scribbles since the year I scribbled them. So I tossed out two garbage bags full of graphite marks on paper and I don’t miss them, though I was afraid I would when I shut the door to the garbage bin. That’s the amazing thing about throwing out stuff, I never need it as much as I thought I did.

Sometimes getting rid of my stuff means accepting who I am, and not who I tried to be. It’s okay to get rid of that book about how to paint furniture because I am never, ever going to paint my nightstand. If I was, I would have done it 5 years ago when I bought the book. And it’s okay to throw out the “Oliver and Company” toys we got at McDonalds. I am not throwing out the memory, I’m just throwing out some plastic.

I can’t let go of all my stuff though. My She-Ra action figures will follow me wherever I go, though I never play with them. The papers from my childhood schoolwork seem more precious than my freshman biology notes, so they stay in the closet too, causing the wooden shelf to bow. I tried to throw out the boxes full of origami I folded in high school, but they seemed too beautiful to trash.

I have a one-bedroom apartment, so I can only store so much stuff here. As I buy new stuff, like waffle irons and Hello Kitty toasters, I start to run out of space. So, every few months I have to cull my stuff again. Things I thought I needed to keep a year ago start to seem disposable. If I’m ambivalent about trashing something, I take a picture of it on my digital camera, converting my memory from atoms to bits.

I’m picky about the new stuff I bring in. I’ve started to shy away from grabbing free hats and t-shirts I know I will never wear. I don’t need any more free bags to stuff in my closet. I traveled all around the country last year, but I only bought one or two souvenirs. There were many sparkly and colorful items I could have purchased, but before I buy I ask myself, “Do I really need this? Or is this just something I will be listing on ebay in five years?” I prefer to take pictures instead.

When I visit friends with china cases and dozens of full bookcases, I think to myself, “Oh my God, I could not handle owning that much stuff.” I remember how my mother had to purge our house when she moved to an apartment. She sold the king-size bed to a women we later figured out was a stripper. She gave the extra fridge away for free to anyone who would cart it away. We sold the washer and dryer to my cousin who later sold it again when she moved for a profit. And you know what? We do not miss any of that stuff. It was nice to have it when it served its purpose, but my mother is just as happy without all that clutter filling up spaces. It makes me anxious thinking about owning that much stuff. I don’t want to be attached to stuff. I want to own my stuff. I don’t want my stuff to own me.

It’s easier to get rid of things because I know the Internet is out there and the libraries are well stocked. If I really need something, I can probably find it. I will only regret my decision to not have much stuff if a revolution comes and the Internet collapses. But in that case, I will probably have more to worry about than where my copy of “10 Kids, No Pets” ended up.

I hate that my suitcase is so full when I travel. If I could live with only a laptop and a bag of clothes, I think I might. I still think I have too much stuff, even though it all fits in a 750 square foot apartment. So no, I do not need the Corn Chex Rubik’s Cube. I do not need the Bangles record. And I will not keep the young adult novels. But if you head to the Goodwill or the used bookstore at the right time, you might end up owning some of my stuff someday.

jenny • February 10, 2009 at 7:46 am

I can relate. As an apartment dweller, and student, I have moved probably 8 times in the past 11 years or so. This has forced me to whittle down what I consider to be my essentials. It was annoying at first, but I have grown to enjoy the process of shedding stuff that I don’t ultimately need. I was a messy girl growing up, but I like my space as de-cluttered as possible these days.

I will admit however, that the thought of looking at She-Ra figures again has me giddy! I loved her. I myself have a shoe box full of Garbage Pail Kids I just can’t bear to part with.

Mrs Lard • February 10, 2009 at 7:49 am

Yes, that is the constant dilemma with stuff. Do we really need it? I think it’s the same with weight (well, it is for me), the more weight I lost, the less stuff I needed. The weight, like the stuff, anchored me at one time in my life and then just weighed me down – literally. And it’s taken me a long, long time to understand why!

You hit the nail on the head when you wrote:

“That’s the amazing thing about throwing out stuff, I never need it as much as I thought I did.

Sometimes getting rid of my stuff means accepting who I am, and not who I tried to be.”

Absolutely.

X. • February 10, 2009 at 7:56 am

I’m with Jenny on She-ra. And while I desperately want to tell you NOT to discard anything by the Bangles…it’s okay. If you haven’t used it in a year (or 20)–drop it.

X.

Elle (XL) • February 10, 2009 at 8:50 am

@Mrs Lard – I was just wondering about the connection between weight and stuff. I like to hold on to both. I’m attached to my stuff, which is why I cart around about 40 boxes of books even though I live in a 500 square foot apartment and have moved 7 times in 7 years. I wonder if I’ll work through all of this as I lose more and more.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? • February 10, 2009 at 9:15 am

I have the same problem with massive amounts of “stuff.” My fiance is just about done with all my stuff and wants to get rid of it, but for some reason I’m attached to it.

nolafwug • February 10, 2009 at 9:30 am

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, I truly learned what the essentials are: electricity, running water, food, clothing, a shower and clean towels, socks, and underwear. After that it’s all just extras. Or “lagniappe” as we call it round these parts.

The funny thing is, the whole experience made me appreciate my stuff a lot more, without feeling like it owned me because I knew I could live without it. We were lucky to get most of our stuff back undamaged after about 2 months. So my box of Jem dolls is tucked away safely in my closet. :)

It’s much easier for me to get rid of stuff now but I think that comes with age not just natural disasters.

Tina • February 10, 2009 at 9:34 am

I agree! I’ve moved every two years for the past 10 years. Each time I pare down my belongings but I always seem to accumulate more. Now that I’m finally fitting into those skinny jeans I’ve stashed for the past 7 or so years, I’ve found that I’ve been much better able to release this “stuff” as I’ve released the weight. Now I have a huge apartment that I’ve been in two years and although it’s tempting to stuff it to the gills, I’m resisting the urge.

dg • February 10, 2009 at 9:39 am

Ohhh I don’t know if I could bring myself to throw out anything by Ann M Martin :)

April • February 10, 2009 at 9:49 am

I start to get anxiety if I get too much stuff. I am constantly going through my stuff tossing out what I don’t really need to hold onto. The only thing, so far, that I’ve actually later regretted happened during a closet decluttering spree when I was mad at my ex, father of my children, and tossed out a shoebox full of old love letters from back when we lived hours apart from each other. I thought it would somehow free me of that pain but it didn’t work and now I wish I hadn’t thrown them out. There’s absolutely nothing else that I regret tossing, though. If I outgrow clothes, in either direction, I give them to goodwill immediately. Makes no sense to hold onto that stuff. (one size difference I’ll hold onto for weight fluctuations, but that’s it)

When you clear that stuff out of your space, you are not only freeing up your space and time (it takes time to keep that stuff neat) but you are potentially blessing someone else.

Kate • February 10, 2009 at 9:55 am

Ten Kids, No Pets! Total blast from the past (and now I kind of want to re-read it).

Sarah • February 10, 2009 at 10:06 am

Do you read the Unclutterer blog? It’s not my site, but put it in that space up there. They have lots of tips for how to organize and unclutter your life. I vote for getting rid of all of the items. If you’re keeping them for the memories, you can take more pictures with your digital camera and then get rid of them. But don’t throw them away… plastic doesn’t degrade well and is bad for the environment. List them on craigslist for a couple of bucks, or donate them to a local charity.

Tara • February 10, 2009 at 10:08 am

The only thing I have a hard time getting rid of is books…even the young adult ones

I have the entire series of Trixie Belden that my mom passed to me when I was a tween (and before that word was invented), and I can’t bring myself to get rid of them. It’s especially sad considering I have an 11 year old cousin who would probably appreciate new reading material.

Call me selfish, but those are MY books!

Kyle • February 10, 2009 at 10:17 am

I think I would be facing similar dilemmas had I not moved abroad…and then moved back…and then moved abroad.

Now I have little extra stuff.

Clothes. Books. And the furniture I have to buy every time I end up in a new place. But trying to fit your life’s possessions in two suitcases that don’t weigh more than 50 pounds is reason enough not to be a pack rat.

Karen • February 10, 2009 at 10:32 am

Toss ’em! They don’t add to your life in any way, you will never use these items again, so unless they hold very special sentimental memories for you, there’s no reason to keep them.

The only thing I have trouble getting rid of is books — the few times I’ve managed to get myself to purge my library, I called my former grammar school and donated them. But if it’s only a few items, just throw them away — they’ve lived long, long lives.

Camevil • February 10, 2009 at 10:57 am

You should check for (or set up) a local rummage sale/flea market. For sure, there are some hipsters who would buy that stuff. I was involved in a punk rock flea market a few years ago and unloaded a buttload of junk. Still couldn’t get rid of my unmanageable collection of gumball machine toys, though.

Keep the Bangles record.

Rachel • February 10, 2009 at 11:13 am

It would be CRIMINAL to get rid of your She-Ra stuff. I still have mine–safely stored in my parents’ basement. My nieces wanted to play with it once a few years ago. I gave them the stink eye and then very reluctantly let them after giving them very strict instructions on what was and wasn’t allowed. Hey, that stuff’s collectible, man!

Abby • February 10, 2009 at 11:18 am

I’m going through the exact same thing right now, I’m 27 and live in a 750 square foot apartment, but am moving in about a month. I have decided to use the move to decimate my clutter. Last night I sold 4 boxes of books and my car currently contains 5 trashbags full of clothes for goodwill.

It’s pretty unbelievable how many sets of clothes I have because my weight fluctuates with the seasons it seems. I’m donating nearly everything that doesn’t fit right now. Couldn’t part with three pieces of “skinny clothes” though. Fitting into those again will be well worth the surrendered closet space.

Dawn • February 10, 2009 at 11:24 am

Throw a husband and 3 kids into that mix. Five people with “stuff” and memories to sort through every now and then and figure out what to get rid of, it makes my head spin. I think we all play this game.

Sweetie Pie • February 10, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I can totally relate to this post! When I finally finished being a student and moved into my current apartment 4 years ago (hoping to buy… someday… just not right now…) my mom and brother drove to the east coast to bring me a u-haul full of my things. Some of these things were useful items of furniture and the like that I had requested. Other things in the U-haul included notes from college, beanie babies, my teapot collection, every card I got to congratulate me on graduating from high school (in 1992), and every last kitchen gadget I had every purchased and then used to clutter up my mother’s kitchen. I have an apartment that is around 640 square feet, so things have been culled and reculled. As I’ve lost weight, I’ve had to go through a similar process with my clothing.

I feel like the things on my kitchen counter, in particular, have earned a position of honor. I love my griddler. I don’t mind having it take up space on top of the counter. The ice cream machine, on the other hand, is buried under a pile of sheets in the bottom of my closet. I’m not sure why I still have it. I guess I need to either make some ice cream or send it out in the world to clutter up other people’s cabinets.

I’ve become a generous donor to Goodwill, and I need to drop off yet another load of stuff. I do think I’ve become pickier, as you mentioned, about what I allow in, but I could do better. That’s a good goal for the year!

Meg • February 10, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I’m trying to do the same thing, with less success than you it seems! My main problem is that most of my stuff is boxed up and stored upstate at my parents house. I really need to get rid of most of it, but that requires going through it first, which is time consuming.

Although I think I’m going to steal your idea of taking pictures to keep the memories!

emi • February 10, 2009 at 12:33 pm

oh man, I would love to buy your corn chex rubik’s cube. I think you have access to the email I used to make this comment – if not, comment back & I’ll email you.

I’m happy to pay shipping, plus a couple dollars for the cube if you want.

scfrogprincess • February 10, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Oh man, your post has me looking around my apartment. I have collected so many things over the years. The only constant is frogs. I should really get rid of all the other stuff.. the unicorns, the dolphins, the raccoons.. oh my!

Maureen Brand • February 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I used to have that Chex rubix cube! I had forgotten all about it until now. I belong to a Yahoo group called “Freecycle” where I can offer my unwanted items to someone in the group who might need them. I’m all for decluttering!

PastaQueen • February 10, 2009 at 12:46 pm

@emi – Sorry, my brother already called dibs!

Pam • February 10, 2009 at 12:56 pm

i feel better when i start pitching stuff. i go through spurts where stuff really starts to annoy me, mostly it’s my partner’s stuff! i have 2 kids and work in a specialized toy store. i LOVE toys!!!! my office space is filled with toys (mostly HABA, Schleich figures, and Papo figures). i donate my stuff to my kids’ school when i go through one of my purge sessions. incidentally, there is an article about holding on to stuff in the February issue of Psychology Today. and hey, i’m reading your book right now!

Pam

emi • February 10, 2009 at 1:27 pm

@PastaQueen – @PastaQueen – too bad – but at least it’s going to a good home :)

skaakiko • February 10, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I highly recommend purchasing an Amazon Kindle for all of your reading needs. I used to have so many books taking up space, I didn’t know what to do. Now all my books are stored on the Kindle, and it fits in my purse quite nicely. I love it!

Sheila • February 10, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I never got rid of books because of the deep respect I had for their authors—the books were keeping them alive, so to speak. Then I realized that all those no-longer-read books had no more life in them than corpses in a cemetery. I decided to bring the books (and their authors) back to life by passing them along to someone who would read them. Now book donation is a source of joy to me. As a writer, perhaps you can relate to this.

Rachael • February 10, 2009 at 2:02 pm

We have lots of stuff. Hubby is a big time collector. He even collects stuff for me. At one time, he had found every Strawberry Shortcake friend for me. I sold them all on Ebay a few years later. Well, I kept one – Strawberry Shortcake herself! He’s also purchased me an 80’s My LIttle Pony, A Rainbow Brite, Inspector Gadget, Jem & Rio. I was never into She-ra. Having 1 of a few things that remind me of my childhood is much better than a roomful of fruit smelling dolls!

ps. I recently purchased a Hello Kitty cereal dispenser.

Stephanie • February 10, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I really needed to read this now becuse I’m feeling very overwhelmed with stuff in my house right now! There’s a few things that I’ve taken photos of before donating and blogged about the memories that are tied to it. It clogs up cyberspace but at least it’s not in my house.

I always get stuck when getting rid of “collectables” – stuff that I know is probably worth something to someone, but I’m too lazy to list it on ebay or craigslist.

As a side note, any old t-shirts, towels or sheets that aren’t worthy of donating are much needed for critters at the vets or shelter.

Lynn • February 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm

My daughter will be glad to know you’re keeping your She-Ra action figures. In fact, she’d probably want to come to Indiana and play with them. Bad mother I am threw them out a long time ago. In my defense, she took a lot of baths with them (and her My Little Ponies) so they were kind of, well, washed out and stinky.

Sheila O • February 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm

2nd the recommendation for Yahoo Free-cycle.

eileen • February 10, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Have you seen this: http://www.discardia.com?

It does a body good to just reduce the amount of nearly everything. I could have written your post. Except for the dolls, I think.

PastaQueen • February 10, 2009 at 3:54 pm

@Lynn – You…you…threw out her She-Ra? I’m amazed she still speaks to you :)

Morgan • February 10, 2009 at 4:43 pm

You’re better than me! I can’t get rid of anything. I have to keep every ticket stub, receipt, and knick-knack. I have some odd fear that without tangible evidence of my life, I don’t really exist and things that I thought happened didn’t… I get this from my father who gets it from his parents who lived through the Depression and kept everything they ever touched..just in case.

PS- I’m totally jealous of your She-Ra collection!

nazilam • February 10, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I buy socks instead of tschokes. Then I can just pull out Madrid to enjoy the memories….

Bonnie • February 10, 2009 at 5:28 pm

You must be the same age as my son. I still have his He-Man and Skeletor toys. I’m not sure if we still have Skull Mountain. We moved 2 years ago (after 20+ years and 6 kids) — it was tough. I packed and gave away 27 boxes of books. I am sorry for about 1/2 of them — when I go to look for a book and realize it’s gone. I love books. They are like companions for me. You can’t have too many books …

nicole • February 10, 2009 at 5:30 pm

You shed the physical weight, now you are shedding the clutter weight. I’m proud of you!

quix • February 10, 2009 at 6:18 pm

We purged about half of our stuff from our stuffed 2 bedroom apartment moving from CA to TX. Honestly, I found myself fantasizing about the rest of it getting lost so I can get all new stuff…but I know I would have missed some of it.

Instead of TX we were looking into Australia as well, and the purging of the junk would have been 10-fold.

Ang • February 10, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I love to get rid of stuff! I especially hate it when my closet appears to be full of clothes, but there is nothing to wear. Every so often I go through and get rid of the stuff that doesn’t fit or looks funny or is uncomfortable. It is refreshing! Your idea of taking a picture of sentimental items is good for kids’ artwork, too. From time to time I hang up all of my son’s artwork and take a picture of it. I keep the memories and lose the clutter.

GP • February 10, 2009 at 6:53 pm

as an innkeeper having to keep our place clean constantly… i find pitching stuff out downright cathartic… less is more.. there now i feel better :)

gp

GMS • February 10, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Hey! My 9 year old just finished that book! Wanted to know why we didn’t employ the same naming method.

Have you ever read the book called Does All This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? Methinks there is some real truth in it. We hold on to mental stuff….we hold on to other stuff.

DonnaLynn in Hawaii • February 10, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I was drowning in stuff, having been raised by packrats, when I came upon flylady, I know now how. I’ve been really grateful since then and now feel like you do, that I don’t want to be owned by my stuff. I want everything in my house to work for me rather than the other way around.

Good going, girl!

Theantijared • February 10, 2009 at 8:09 pm

HA! I used to have that Chex Cube. It was 3 UPC symbols!

DonnaLynn in Hawaii • February 10, 2009 at 8:13 pm

After reading all the comments so far, I’m shocked that I’m the only one who mentioned flylady. She’s the queen of decluttering and teaches you way more than just that. Here’s the link:

She also has a great yahoo group which is where the meat of her decluttering teaching really is, besides her website. Pasta Queen, maybe you’d enjoy her. I’ve met her in person and she’s one really sweet lady. She doesn’t just deal with those who are true packrats, though she really does understand where you’re coming from if that’s where you’re at. Just like you’ve done with your weight, she picked herself up from the bottom and drug herself to the top, through consistency and hard work. There’s a lot more to her website than decluttering though. She has health experts as well, and many other things to offer. You might really enjoy her. I have for about 8 years or so.

clickmom • February 10, 2009 at 8:19 pm

There is a chance I am going to have to move in a couple of years and I am already in a small panic over all the ke-rap I am going to have sort through. I just might become a craigs list seller.

PastaQueen • February 10, 2009 at 8:47 pm

@DonnaLynn in Hawaii – I have heard of FlyLady before, but I have never gotten far through her site because OMG HER WEB DESIGN IS FUGLY! I’m sorry. I’m sure she’s a sweeheart, but she needs a new web designer.

Liz • February 10, 2009 at 11:05 pm

PQ-

I just want to say Amen. I love this post. Lots of good nuggets in there, and reminds me I’ve been needing to do a little purging myself.

I often look around the house and think “where did all this stuff come from?” Isn’t that funny how we just accumulate “stuff” and then suddenly we are swimming in it?

I bet if we lived in Tibet that would not be true. :)

Anyway, really cool post.

Chrissy • February 10, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Yeah, you are right PQ, Flylady’s site IS bad. whoa… She needs you. Great that she inspires a lot of ppl.

I just wanted to make sure you search ebay before you get rid of some of your things. [Not really your college notes, probably, although you are getting more well known all the time.] I know you have sold on ebay, so just make sure you first search the demand and value of stuff before it goes to GW & such. [anything your brother doesn’t want.]

Colorado Mama • February 11, 2009 at 12:40 am

That Chex Rubics Cube is flashback material! I had forgotten that I even had one until I saw your pic. AND your comment about Fly Lady made me laugh…

Just read your book (in a 24 hour period no less!) and loved your story. You are amazing! Thanks for sharing it and reminding me again why I need to get back out there and “move my body”. If ever you want to hit the hills here in Colorado, let me know.

Now back to reading your blog posts…

Kalexias • February 11, 2009 at 1:06 am

Your post is timely for me. In 6-8 weeks I am moving back to America after being in Australia for almost 2 years. You can just imagine how much stuff I have accumulated! I have baby furniture that I can’t justify taking back with me since my youngest is now a toddler so I thought of the Bushfire victims and just called the Salvo’s collection truck (what the Aussies call the Salvation Army). Hopefully some family who lost everything will be happy to have a crib, highchair and stroller to put their baby in. I really, really like your blurb about taking digital photos. I think I will do that with some of the items I will not bring back with me but want to remember.

cc • February 11, 2009 at 4:37 am

thanks PQ! I can’t believe I never thought of taking pics of the stuff I want to throw out. Because in my case, without the stuff, my memories also disappear, so I hoard and clutter with abandon. Photos are the memories without the clutter. Brilliant.

Adrienne • February 11, 2009 at 9:31 am

For unwanted books, I have to recommend paperbackswap.com. You can trade paperbacks and hardcovers there. I’ve been a member for 3 years and I’m often amazed that people request some of the books I’ve put on there. It’s an awesome site, but be careful, when you trade you can get another book in return…

PastaQueen • February 11, 2009 at 11:16 am

@Chrissy – Unless I know something will make at least $10 or $15, it’s not worth listing on ebay for me. All the time I have to spend taking pictures, listing it, answering questions, collecting payment, packaging it, and going to the post office could be spent on more profitable ventures unless I’m getting a good amount for it. I consider my time to be valuable. I sold more stuff on ebay when I was an unemployed college student with lots of free time.

Mymsie • February 11, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I’d ditch everything except the record. I half regret getting rid of my records, even though I don’t have a record player anymore. I remember when I finally relinquished all my Baby-sitters Club books too. *sniffle*

DonnaLynn in Hawaii • February 11, 2009 at 1:31 pm

@PastaQueen –

Yeah, her website used to be a lot different. I haven’t been there much myself lately since the changes except to refer people to her babysteps.

Her email list still rocks though, and has improved greatly since it’s beginning. That’s where the best stuff is.

I had to laugh at myself when I thought about how long it’s been since I went to her actual site. I didn’t realize it had been as long as it had!

Zandria • February 11, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I’ve never been the kind of person to keep a ton of stuff (at least not in comparison to other people I know), but there’s been some stuff that was harder to part with. The funny (and GOOD) thing is, once it’s gone I no longer think about it. I’ve never wished, after the fact, that I’d held on to something.

Haystacks • February 11, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I hate hate hate having too much crap. Hate it.

We don’t need 2/3rds of what we own. We might as well live in junk heaps.

Sinead • February 12, 2009 at 10:04 am

We’re packing to move so your note hit home

If you need to get rid of anything other than paper try http://www.freecycle.org local yahoo groups where you can post stuff and nice folks come pick up who need it. Be warned as addictive and you find yourself looking for items to give away! One persons junk is smothers treasure

Also http://www.paperbackswap.com is great for thrifty folks to get rid of books and get some more cheap!

I enjoy your blog and read every morning

Cheers

Mar • February 15, 2009 at 3:25 pm

i have a box of babysitter’s club books and a she-ra castle stored in my mother’s attic at home. i’ve asked very specifically that they not be thrown out or sold at a garage sale.

i have no idea what i will ever do with them again, but after i got rid of most of my nostalgic items during a yard sale around age 13, and felt deep regret somewhere around age 16, i’m clinging to them in the hopes i figure something creative to do with them later in life.

Amber • March 4, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I am like you – anti-pack-rat. My mom is the opposite. As in, she could go on TV it’s so bad. SHE has all my old tween books (it’s awful!). I just moved into a place twice the size of our old one, and I still got rid of a bunch of clothes, and a couch beforehand. After we moved, I got rid of probably half the paperwork in my files. I also took snapshots of mementos and then threw most of those away. I have moved a LOT since leaving the nest, and lost some things along the way that I would have loved to keep, but otherwise, I love getting rid of extra stuff. I do it pretty often. I fear “stuff” because of my mom.