Tuesday mash-up

The fire marshal’s dilemma

I went to see Michael Pollan, author of The Omnivore’s Dilemma speak last night, but I ran into the fire marshal’s dilemma instead. The room Pollan was speaking in was filled to capacity, so I headed to the overflow room with a video feed instead. A woman guarding the door to the room asked me, “Do you already have a seat?” to which I should have replied, “Of course!” and stridden confidently into the room. However, I am far too honest for my own good and said, “No” and was turned away from the lecture. So, your burning questions about locally grown produce will have to go unanswered. Sorry! At least you didn’t have to parallel park and walk briskly in the freezing rain all for nothing.

Help a triathlete out

Want to feel good about yourself without having to do anything requiring your credit card number or copious amounts of free time? You can help Sarah win the final round of a contest to be a member on a sponsored triathlon team. Sarah recently lost a lot of weight and became a runner, starting out by running a 10K and a half-marathon (not that I would relate to that or anything). Now she wants to be on the Evotri triathlon team, but she needs you to vote for her. Read more about her story and watch her video on her blog. Then, assuming your heart has not swelled out of your chest and caused cardiac arrest, vote for her by sending an email to: vote@evotri.com with ‘Sarah McKibben – Final Round’ in the subject. You can only vote once and voting continues through Friday at 11:59 PM PST. I haven’t met Sarah, but I love her spirit and I’d love to see her rock the triathlon!

Speaking of running

Ever since I ran to the roller derby and back, I’ve had this weird thought every time I drive past 38th street on the way home. Once I pass that point, I know it will be okay if my car breaks down in the sleet and snow because I could run home if necessary. It would take me longer with all my work stuff in my back pack, but I could make it. Which is good to know in case that “Check Oil” light that keeps coming on when I start my car actually means something is wrong. I should probably get that checked out, eh? Or I might be running home for real, and not just in my imagination.

I love the sense of freedom I get from the mobility I’ve gained by losing weight. Even as I was running around in the icy dark last night, I loved the fact that I could park two blocks from the lecture hall and walk there without it being an issue at all. Weight loss solved my parking problems.

Galley contest addendum

Don’t forget to sign up for my mailing list and automatically be entered into the contest for 10 advance galley copies of my book. While only US and Canadian residents can win copies, everyone is still welcome to sign up for the list. (And I hope you will!)

Kate H • February 26, 2008 at 10:34 am

Yeah, go talk to the nice guys at the garage and tell them what’s going on. My mom ignored her check engine light on her car for quite a while, and she ended up using up all the oil in her engine, and it seized right up. 5k later, she had a brand new engine and learned her lesson the hard way.

Red • February 26, 2008 at 12:11 pm

That would be a great shirt:

“Weight Loss solved my parking problems.”

Lisa • February 26, 2008 at 2:58 pm

It’s just not that hard to add a quart of oil to your car. DO IT NOW before you kill the engine. Really, don’t mess around with this one. Your owners manual will show you exactly how, and exactly what to buy. You can buy the oil at a gas station or probably at a chain drugstore or supermarket or Target or whatever.

JEMi @ MyFavoriteDietBlog.com • February 26, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I am a new – rather delighted – reader of your blog and yes, I am very impressed by you and what you’ve done.

I notice you mention running alot – its something I would like to take up. I was doing ok with it until i thought I would seriously hurt myself

When you started to take up running, did you do it everyday? Is that a bad idea? Ok idea?

its like my abs question- some trainers say oh sure yes, do it everyday and some are like NO NO NO NO NO bad idea!

I just want to ask this from someone’s whose been at the heavier weight and knows what it feels like to work it off and the tolls it would take

that and I dont know where those trainers are anyway.

O:-)

PQ – Rest is an essential part of any training program, so I would recommend that you don’t run or do abs every day. Your muscles need time to repair themselves and grow stronger. A lot of that happens while you sleep, which is why it’s important to get enough sleep if you’re training or trying to lose weight. Just listen to your body. The more you exercise the more you’ll be able to tell where your limits are.

JEMi @ MyFavoriteDietBlog.com • February 26, 2008 at 3:12 pm

..just read some of the oil comments

*blank stare*

*blink*

*slinks back to Nissan*

lee • February 26, 2008 at 5:16 pm

CHECK YOUR OIL! my ’88 camry recently blew a gasket because it ran low on oil.the oil light was only staying for a nanosecond when you cranked it, and my friend who was borrowing the car never mentioned that it was staying on. so, my car that got 38 freaking mpg is toast! so i am stuck with the car that gets 22 mpg.

Marshmallow • February 26, 2008 at 5:38 pm

I signed up for the mailing list, even though I FAILORZ on my country of citizenship. Woe!

[and I totally checked the oil in my car after reading this post]

s • February 26, 2008 at 10:05 pm

PQ, honey cakes, did you even SEE that awesome review from Kirkus!????

You need to IMMEDIATELY paste the following on your book blurb on the upper lefthand corner:

“A winsome, charming memoir of personal discovery.” — Kirkus Reviews

Also, you need to watch out — people will sell your galleys on abebooks.com

PQ – Thanks for noticing the review, s. I was very happy with it too. My publisher sent it to me a couple days before Kirkus came out.

Cynthia • February 27, 2008 at 2:13 am

Sorry you missed the lecture. But honesty is never a bad thing.

Heh, I nearly accused my husband of lying the first time a cashier girl offered us a discount if we were over 50… then I realized I *was* over 50, sigh! One of those ACK, I’m old moments.

‘Course, now he’s celebrated his 51st and I can tweak him about being younger… for two whole months.

I sent a vote for Sarah!

Heather • February 27, 2008 at 9:35 am

Sarah is awesome. I already voted for her, but was glad to see her name dropped here. :)

To me, it’s always weird getting in the car and driving somewhere, and thinking, “I’ve run this far” for a lot of places I go to– and almost every place I go to — “I’ve bicycled this far.” Such a weird feeling of pride and even wonder at yourself!!!

Rah • February 27, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Total non-sequitur, but what ever happened about your headache? Was it flu, or did it just go away in the night one night, or what? Just curious, because it sounded awful.

PQ – The headache morphed into a sinus headache that still hasn’t gone away. It feels like there’s pressure in my sinuses, around my nose and through my forehead. I saw the doctor again and we’re attacking it. Hopefully it will go away soon. It’s not really “painful,” just extremely annoying. And, of course, I wish I knew what the hell was causing it.

Mary • February 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm

PQ,I love your honesty, snarky humor, and joy in your newfound fitness. As an old English teacher I am also mightily impressed that you know the past participle of the verb “to stride.” Stride on, girl.

PQ – Okay, I got to come clean on this. I actually typed in “strided” when I wrote this entry in Microsoft Word, but noticed it was wrong via the spell checker.

Kelly • March 5, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I missed Michael Pollan when he was in Providence, but not because I got turned away. My husband (who knows I worship at the altar of the Omnivore’s Dilemma) forgot to tell me that Pollan was going to be speaking at Brown. That sort of put a strain on our marriage.