Tasty vs. Easy – Illustrated Fruit Graph from xkcd.com

My older brother sent me a link to this comic, which given my adventures in the produce section seemed relevant:

Coconuts are so far down to the left they couldn't be fit on the chart.  Ever spent half an hour trying to open a coconut with a rock?  Fuck coconuts.

The comic is from http://xkcd.com/ who has a cool license on sharing and hotlinking, so I’m not even thieving his work (which kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn’t it?).

Personally, I would move the orange higher up on the tastiness scale, and bananas are definitely tastier than green apples, which should be moved below the tasty-axis. They’re just too tart for my tastebuds. I would also move pears above blueberries. I love blueberries in smoothies or in pancakes or oatmeal, but on their own I prefer the sweetness of pears. While grapefruits can be difficult, if you have the right utensils, they become easier to manage, so I would add a picture of a grapefruit plus a grapefruit spoon higher up on the easy-axis. Coconuts didn’t even make the graph because according to the mouseover text “Coconuts are so far down to the left they couldn’t be fit on the chart. Ever spent half an hour trying to open a coconut with a rock? Fuck coconuts.” (He cursed, not me. Fucking potty mouths.)

If I had any artistic skill, I would sketch in all the fruits I’ve tried recently. Oh wait, I do have some artistic skill. (Sometimes I forget.) I guess I won’t do it because I’m lazy.

Chubby Chick • February 28, 2008 at 8:31 am

Cool comic! Strawberries would be at the top of my list. And bananas would definitely be higher than green apples and plums!

Comrade GoGo • February 28, 2008 at 9:09 am

Hah! My boyfriend was trying to describe this very comic aloud to me last night. Man, the xkcd dude really has it out for grapefruits.

VerseFameBeauty • February 28, 2008 at 9:22 am

I’d keep watermelon where it is on the difficult axis but move it much farther up on the tasty axis!

Pork Chop • February 28, 2008 at 9:22 am

You crack my shit up. :-D

Beckett • February 28, 2008 at 9:32 am

My husband and I love xkcd. We thought this one was great and had a great fruit tastiness debate!

Joanna • February 28, 2008 at 9:55 am

Where be the apricots? Kiwis? Mangoes?

If red and green apples get separate lines, then I’d argue for the same treatment of red and green grapes.

Way fun.

MamaMaven • February 28, 2008 at 11:00 am

I’ve become a bit of a picky apple eater in the last year, I bet I could do a whole chart on tastiness of different kinds of apples! Love this. I vote yes on the red/green/black grapes as well.

Red • February 28, 2008 at 12:01 pm

xkcd is truly everywhere!

I never thought I’d see a link to xkcd on one a fitness blog…

AndrewE • February 28, 2008 at 12:31 pm

I guess I won’t do it because I’m lazy. Hahaha…welcome to my world. :)

Heather • February 28, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Pomegranates? Untasty? They’re the most delicious things ever.. Difficult, yes. They are difficult.

victoria • February 28, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I like the cartoon very much. May I ask a question on another topic? I hope this is not rude: if it is a rude question, please ignore it. But I wonder whether your dramatic weight loss has made skin removal surgery necessary; whether you have already had it or plan to; whether insurance paid/will pay; how much it did/will hurt, etc. OK, there, I asked. Sorry if it was intrusive to bring this up. Even though you’ve already taken a lot of risks putting your weight loss journey on line like this, I understand that there are no doubt topics you don’t want to discuss with the entire internet, and if this is one of them, please forgive me for intruding.

PQ – The skin question is the most frequently asked question I get. I wrote an entry about it here.

don't be so literal • February 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Hi PQ! I used to cut my grapefruits in half and eat them with the special spoon, but because it was kind of a pain, I rarely bought them. I was given a grapefruit from a friend’s tree recently, and, having no utensils handy, I just peeled and ate it like an orange. I have to say that it was totally delicious. Since then, I’ve been eating one to two ruby reds a day. I usually use my $0.75 Pampered Chef orange peeler, to remove most of the pith, but even when I haven’t had it handy, those grapefruits have been goooood eatin’. I just thought I’d mention the option, in case you’ve never tried it.

Stephanie Quilao • February 29, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I agree on the bananas. But I wanna know where the Kumquats and Lychees are?

sb • February 29, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Totally off topic question… how in the world do you get the entire mouse-over quote to show up? I’m using firefox, and all I can see is:

“Coconuts are so far down to the left they couldn’t be fit on the chart. Ever spent half a…”

I have looked all over for how to make that box display all the text, but can’t find anythign that works. If you have a trick… please share!

Thanks

SB

PQ – Sorry, sb, I don’t know about that one. You can always right-click on an image, select “Properties” and read the “Alternate Text” listed at the bottom of the pop up box. It’s a pain, but it works.

sb • March 3, 2008 at 3:58 am

Thanks for that suggestion PQ! That’s actually a lot easier than viewing the source HTML of the page… which was the only thing I’ve figured out on my own. Yes, I am indeed a geek. ;-)

K • March 3, 2008 at 10:20 am

I suppose you’re never going to get a tasty/untasty lineup on which everyone will agree… (Says the woman who will happily eat a slice of lemon.)

Myself, I am wondering whether raspberries are too far off the top of the chart…

Dana • March 8, 2008 at 7:10 pm

He is so totally wrong about pomegranates. They’re one of my favorite fruits. And I am not a big fruit and veggie person, so that is saying something.

I love that strip. A couple weeks ago there was one about a guy who was staying up late because, quote, “Someone is WRONG on the Internet.” Oh sorry, my ears are burning. Hee.

PQ – OMG, I saw the one about being wrong on the Internet and loved it too.