Joggling

It can be tricky juggling my schedule to make sure I get my runs in while I’m training for the half-marathon. Thankfully, I am not literally juggling while training, but that is evidently an option. Some guy ran a marathon while “joggling” back in October, and he had a damn good time too 2:52:15. He’s now the Guinness World Record holder, taking it back from another guy he’s been competing against. You’d think joggling would be weird enough that no one else in the world would be doing it. I couldn’t run a marathon that fast even if I wasn’t juggling. And just to show off he chewed gum at the same time.

What other weird things could people do while running? I could try to crochet and run, but I’d have to loop the yarn around my head in a big hank and I’d probably strangle myself. I once read a book while I walked, but I doubt I could do that while running. My arm would get tired holding a book in one position instead of moving back in forth in a normal running stride. I would settle for just being able to juggle, never mind juggling while running.

Cathleen • February 6, 2008 at 8:36 am

I would settle for being able to run that far at all!

Adrienne • February 6, 2008 at 8:51 am

I don’t think this qualifies as something people do while running, but I did once see a guy run an entire 10K barefoot! It was July, so he wasn’t cold. But the race was on a mix of road, sidewalk, and dirt paths. Yuck. I thought maybe he was doing it to make a statement or something, like anti-war, or fight poverty, but he wasn’t wearing any slogans, carrying a sign or saying anything. The kicker is he came in behind me, and I walked the whole thing. So I think overall I would advise against the barefoot running…

adrienne • February 6, 2008 at 9:14 am

balloon animals? miming the plot of a classic novel? sock puppets?

zombie mom • February 6, 2008 at 10:36 am

I would love to figure out something else to do while I run. I get super bored sometimes especially now that I am running longer stints (half marathon in two weeks), but what would it be? I would love the be able to finish knitting projects, read more Proust, or complete my corporate taxes. But for now, its enough when I get the dog exercised, mileage in and if the baby is with me she is still smiling…

Zombie Mom (AKA: bitch who blogs)

Joanna Zuk • February 6, 2008 at 10:50 am

Hi. Here’s a link to the Joggler’s blog.

He’s a friend of mine up here in Toronto.

Congrats on the training!

DD • February 6, 2008 at 12:01 pm

My specialty is jiggling while jogging.

Lisa • February 6, 2008 at 1:08 pm

psst! Adrienne! If you want barefoot runners, look up Zola Budd: Twice world record holder at 5K. Competed in the 1984 Olympics. All barefoot.

Happy • February 6, 2008 at 1:12 pm

How about spelling out messages to the crowd using the semaphore flag signalling system?

Although if it were me doing a half-marathon, I’m quite sure that I would only spell out curses and complaints. The crowd would probably be greatly offended.

Melsky • February 6, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I truly can’t understand how people can run those things, let alone do anything else at the same time.

Karen • February 6, 2008 at 2:23 pm

And if you fall on that ice, you could stab yourself with those crochet sticks (or whatever they call them) ROFL

Jenny • February 6, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I’m just happy if I can jump rope without smacking myself in the face. Anything else, for me, is dangerous.

Perry • February 6, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I like to think of joggling as the “sport of the future”.

There are lots of us out there and if you are interested in learning how, check out this blog…

Incidentally, in addition to the world record for joggling a marathon being set, the world record for joggling a 50-mile ultra marathon was also set.

Kyle • February 6, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Just and F.Y.I. that link right above this comment is REAL. I totally thought that guy was kidding. Wow, that’s pretty cool!

Umm, I can read and drive a car at the same time. Does that count for anything?

PQ – Well, just don’t tell you car insurance company. They might raise your premiums.

K • February 6, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Even I can’t read while running. Not even on the treadmill!

As for juggling… my sister tried to teach me once. Not a success. Some of us have it, and others of us don’t!

zelda • February 6, 2008 at 7:03 pm

yep, i’ve seen him running in a couple shorter races when I lived in Ontario. he’s quite something to see!

Janice Bridge • February 6, 2008 at 8:10 pm

MULTI-tasking is HIGHLY over-rated. . . just Jog and enjoy life.

angiev70 • February 6, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Wow…I’m such a dork. I was reading “joggling” as “JOGGING” and wondering why it was such a big deal for someone to be jogging in a marathon. Then I thought I was complete idiot when it came to running because I wasn’t sure what the difference — other than speed — was between running and jogging and why it would set a record. And why was it “showing off” by chewing gum while jogging? LMAO

When I got to the second paragraph I realized I had missed something. Perhaps the letter L?

Signed,

Your Biggest Dork of a Reader Who Is Not a Jogger Nor a Joggler

anji • February 6, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Hey, did you see the link to the Japanese female runner off of that guy’s site? You can find it on mine with today’s link… amazing. I hope that’s not you! Totally inspirational!

Allison • February 7, 2008 at 10:04 am

I ran the Army 10 miler last year and there’s a guy from the Army who runs it and plays a FLUTE. I cannot fathom how he’s able to do that. I barely had enough breath to finish the race much less play an instrument that pretty much requires 100% of your breathing.

PQ – I used to play flute in marching band. Or more accurately, I DIDN’T play flute in marching band. I was too out of breath to play the second half of the show. So I really admire that guy.