January 11, 2008 at 7:29 am
Money. One of the last taboos. It would probably be more comfortable for me to ask you what your favorite sexual position is than to ask you how much money you made this year. But I’m going to ask this anyway: how much do you pay for your gym membership?
There are a lot of funny power and status issues wrapped up in money. No one wants to be seen as an idiot who paid too much for a car. It makes you feel dumb and devalued. But knowing what other people paid is important because it gives you leverage to negotiate a better price. So I want to know, how much are you paying for the gym? You can respond anonymously if you wish, but give me the A’s to these five Q’s:
1) How much do you pay a month?
2) Was there an upfront fee? How much?
3) What city do you live in? (Rent for a downtown New York space is going to be higher than the rent for a facility in Nowhere, West Virginia. Gym rates are going to reflect that.)
4) What is the gym like? (The LA Fitness near here has flat-screen TVs, a pool, a sauna, a spinning room, and a smoothie bar. It’s understandable that it costs more than the Cardinal Fitness which is essentially a treadmill warehouse.)
5) Did you negotiate a lower price? How? (Something I’ve learned with age is that everything is negotiable.)
The comments are waiting to collect your stats. Thank you!
ETA: A summary of the survey results as of January 14th can be read here.
Earlier: Lick the produce: Mutant spawn edition
Home: Main index