The Taco Bell was closer though

I might be going to the Derby tomorrow, and if you don’t know that the Derby refers to the Kentucky Derby then you probably can’t say Louisville correctly either. Queen Elizabeth will be there, so it will be a meeting of the monarchs, the Queen and the PastaQueen! I lived in Louisville for 8 years, but I never once went to the derby, which is a bit odd. I’m like a New Yorker who’s never been to the Statue of Liberty. I’m going to check the weather before making a final decision though. Despite my royal status, I would be hanging out with the common folk in the infield, which I hear is kra-zee enough without adding mud to the equation.

When planning this little trip I had to ask myself, “Where the hell is Churchill Downs anyway?” My middle school went on a field trip there once, but I couldn’t recall where the racetrack was. I looked it up on Google Maps and discovered it is only a mile and a half away from my old high school where I spent four years of my life. Then I exclaimed, “Oh, that’s not too far away from the McDonalds!”

To review: I did not know the location of Kentucky’s most famous landmark, a racetrack whose twin spires once graced our state license plate. I did, however, remember the location of a McDonalds close to my high school a good nine years after I graduated and left the state. Yeah…at least we know I wasn’t spending my lunch money betting on the horsies.

jenni • May 4, 2007 at 10:25 am

If you can get in to the museum do it. In a visit to Louisville, my gracious host took me there and secretly I thought a pencil in my eye would have been more fun way to spend an hour. BUT, once I saw the film about the prestige of the animals and the grandeur of the race and some of the hisorical items, I was a convert! Have fun and wear an obnoxious hat. Oh, and you can have the julep – mint IS an herb!

Debbi • May 4, 2007 at 12:37 pm

I’ve been to the Derby once in my life, probably 25 years ago. Definitely when I was still drinking; I brought home a matched set of eight – count ’em! Eight! – mint julep glasses. Arghhh.

I was in the infield and never saw a horse. Saw lots of tits, though. Get ready for cra-zeeeee!

Bree • May 4, 2007 at 1:12 pm

hahahahahaaaa…. that was too funny! Thanks.

Bree • May 4, 2007 at 1:13 pm

I forgot to ask …do you have one of those big hats to wear?

bazu • May 4, 2007 at 1:30 pm

How cool! I hope you do end up going, and wear a hat bigger than that other queen’s. Here’s what we yanks think of your Brit protocols- he he.

You are so right- I think that is always the way when one lives near a major monument… I was the New Yorker who had never been to the statue of liberty until I had visitors to show around… and the Orlando resident who never went to Disney World and Universal until visiting family made me. I think the Kentucky Derby is neater than those things!

Patty • May 4, 2007 at 1:52 pm

The derby sounds like fun! Yeah, wear a hat and dress up! I don’t even own a hat like that though.

mickey • May 4, 2007 at 2:03 pm

almost none of the native new yorkers i know has ever been to the statue of liberty, or the empire state building for that matter. i went to the statue once in junior high for a field trip, and the only time i’ve been to the ESB was for meetings (many businesses and organizations have their offices there).

Chris H • May 4, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Show my any teenager that does not know where the closest McDonalds is! Or KFC! I will look out for news articles in the next few days telling us down here all about the two Queens visiting the Derby! Hope you don’t outshine the English Queen, oh Pasta – ness.

Hilly • May 4, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Oh seriously, I can tell you what is on the “four corners” of Marconi and Eastern in Sacramento, CA. Those four corners all have some sort of food going on and even though I have not been there in ages, I still know it by heart ;).

Lily • May 4, 2007 at 7:31 pm

I’m the same way with landmarks in my area. It seems that the only reason I would visit them is if I an out-of-towner wanted me to take them to them.

krissie • May 4, 2007 at 10:04 pm

I lived in Louisville for 4 years (I went to Bellarmine University) and Derby was always the week after finals so I was ready to go back home. So I never made it to derby either. But it was always fun to do all the pre-derby festivities – especially the Chow Wagon…wow, now I really feel fat.

Last year I had a derby party and we played a great game of wiffle ball and missed the race.

I hope you have good weather…and that you get to go!

tonya • May 6, 2007 at 9:33 pm

i *seriously* hope the weather was good, that you wore an obnoxious hat AND that you’ll be treating us to the photos

and its