Weight: 184 – Pounds left to lose: 24

A big thanks to everyone who commented on the binge eating entry. I’m now sure that I am not a binge eater, but I found everyone’s personal experiences with binging to be fascinating and educational. The internet is always much smarter than me. And dumber sometimes too. Strange that.

Nine minutes and thirty seconds. Do you know what can happen in nine minutes and thirty seconds? I can run a mile! Some of the more athletic among you might be wondering, “Why is she bragging about that time? My three-legged dog can run faster than that.” Well yeah, because he has three legs. I’ve only got two. Duh. For me 9:30 is smokin’ fast.

Lately I’ve been running three miles in 33 minutes, but yesterday I wanted to see how fast I could go if I pushed all my energy into a one mile burst. By the time the treadmill display switched from 0.99 to 1.00 miles, I doubt I could have run any farther unless I was being chased by a bear or a man with an axe or even worse, a bear with an axe. Maybe if woodland creatures were well armed we’d all be faster runners. Back in high school I think the best I ran was a 14 or 15 minute mile. My high school was obviously not situated near a forest or a zoo with poor security.

The more weight I lose, the more I’m finding that my fitness goals are becoming more important than my weight goals. If I had to chose between weighing 160 pounds or running a 9-minute mile, or dare I dream an 8-minute mile, I think I’d go for the speed. Reading about Debbi training for a mini-marathon has got me thinking I should try to run next year’s Indianapolis 500 mini-marathon, which is evidently the biggest mini in America. Who knew? (Besides Wikipedia which knows everything that’s true and some things that are false too.) It’s pretty popular. This year’s registrations sold out in December. And now that I have mentioned it I know you all will make me do it or you shall taunt me forever as a quitter and call me Quitty McQuits-a-lot.

My focus on fitness over weight began back in the fall when I learned I could run for periods of time longer than a TV commercial break. It’s hard to think of yourself as an athlete when all you can manage to do is walk. As my body has become more functional I find myself wanting to take it out for a spin, though I haven’t ever actually done a spinning class. Losing weight is nice too though, and losing fat will no doubt increase my running speed since I won’t be hauling around so much dead weight. Muscle may be heavy, but at least it earns its keep. I’ve added my mile speed to my stats bar over on the right to reflect this new priority in my life.

Debbi • April 14, 2007 at 10:21 am

9:30! I’m so impressed! I’m finding it’s so much more satisfying to work with my body instead of against it. If I want to run longer distances – I’ll never be fast, but I can endure – I have to feed myself nutritious food, sleep well, build up my muscles and think positively. All of this supports the ultimate goal.

If running the Indy race sounds like a good idea to you, then go for it. Don’t let us pressure you into it. If you want company, let me know.

summer • April 14, 2007 at 10:45 am

That’s awesome PQ! you may find this interesting:

Mymsie • April 14, 2007 at 11:17 am

You should totally do the Mini! What an accomplishment it would be :)

Sara • April 14, 2007 at 12:07 pm

That is awesome! I remember the first time I ran a mile in 13 min (as opposed to like 15 min in high school) and felt like a rock star. Now I’m at about 10:15… So I know how cool you must feel with 9:30! That’s darn respectable!

thrilled • April 14, 2007 at 12:23 pm

That’s pretty darn quick. My,the progress you’ve made. Congrats!

Lose Weight With Me • April 14, 2007 at 12:31 pm

I have found that my focusing on my fitness goals, the weight loss takes care of itself. It has also taken away worries and obsession about the scale.

Plus, it’s a lot more fun.

:-)

Brian

wendy • April 14, 2007 at 12:51 pm

that’s awesome — some people refer to it as a magic mile when you push through one mile as fast as you can. I’m not sure if you did a warm-up before that mile, but if you do a .5 mile warm-up you’ll probably be faster than 9:30.

Recently, I was basically forced to make the decision between losing weight or improving performance. I’m still not a fan of the number on the scale, but being semi-speedy is a good substitute.

have a great weekend.

PastaQueen • April 14, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Debbi – I’ll make a decision about it later in the year, but I wouldn’t mind company! I’m looking forward to seeing how you do two weeks from now. You’re very inspiring.

wendy – I did do a quarter mile warm-up. I didn’t want to injure myself! So the treadmill numbers actully rolled over from 1.24 to 1.25 when I was done, but I thought that would sound confusing in my entry so I just lied :)

egoldstein • April 14, 2007 at 1:26 pm

PQ, I’m so impressed with your progress and attitude. Good for you. About 3-4 years ago, I shifted to fitness goals and most are on track. But I still can’t do a full push-up or chin-up.

Jules • April 14, 2007 at 3:35 pm

9:30 is fanatastic progress. I think you don’t have to worry too much about the choice between 9:00minute mile and 160lbs — they might very well go hand in hand. Once again, you’re very inspiring. Happy trails!

vickie • April 14, 2007 at 3:57 pm

I feel that way about tone – number on the scale isn’t as important (now) as the tone of the tummy, thighs, butt, etc.

jodi • April 14, 2007 at 8:13 pm

wow, 9:30 – i hope to get close to that someday but then again, i’m not into the running thing to beat a certain time… i was overly impressed myself today when i managed to go for 2 miles, outside, with my running group – i’ve never done that before… i think the more you push yourself, the more you are learning just how far you can go… :o)

Chris H • April 15, 2007 at 2:48 am

Bugger me, you ARE my twin! I am now much more focused on the fitness side of things too, though I must say I am still totally commited to losing the extra weight too. My husband and I were just saying today that we can’t believe that we are now talking about building our muscles as if it’s “normal” when 20 years ago it was the last thing on our minds! Too weird! I am only just starting to jog, so am a long way off timing a mile run, but who knows? One day I will do it. WE ROCK KIDDO !

Kyra • April 15, 2007 at 8:08 am

Good for you! Actually, I’m a “slow runner” too. I’m just not built for speed. I looked up the mini-marathon (because I had never heard that term before) and I guess it’s a half-marathon? I have to say, I have never run a half. I have run 5k’s, 10k’s, 15k’s (which is close) and a full marathon (never. ever. again. But I will wear my finishers medal to the grave.)

There is something so COOL about crossing the finish line, even if most everyone else has already gone home. :) But I’ll tell you something – for an odd reason you really don’t lose a lot of weight. In fact, a LOT of women gain it when training for the longer distances (beyond a 10k). Just something to be aware of, it’s an odd little side-effect. I chose to run a marathon after finding out I could actually run, and running my first mile ever after I had dropped a bunch of weight. It was quite by accident, really. And then I got excited and wanted to see exactly WHAT I could do.

100% worth it. You never forget crossing the finish line, no matter how many times you do it. I say go for it! :) Want company?

Ty • April 15, 2007 at 8:42 am

Just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for an award. Stop by my blog if you get a chance to check it out.

Sunny@Glamour • April 15, 2007 at 11:45 am

I say go for a full marathon, girl! If you’re running three miles at a time AND running at least one 9.5 minute mile, you can SO do it. (I did it in ’03 and am also a slow, never-been-an-athlete runner.)

BMary • April 15, 2007 at 10:11 pm

Oh my gosh, I love reading your blog and finding all these weird little details I can relate to. I can’t remember exactly when I found Pasta Queen, but I commented at the time that I was down from around 400 pounds to 330 or so and already felt “cute,” even though I knew it was absurd. Anyway, although I rarely comment I’d just like to say that I’ve been reading you regularly since, and I’m now at 283 and just recently figured out I can run for at least as long as a TV commercial break! I thought I was probably the only person in the world to use that unit of measure. :-) Anyway, I definitely think you should go for the marathon, be it mini- or full.

Heather • April 15, 2007 at 11:43 pm

It feels nice when you start focusing on fitness— on what your body can do, rather than what it looks like. :)

You can totally do it.

Sara • April 16, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to re-time my mile at the gym today.. scraped in at 10:00.. yay!

I was wondering where that fell on the bell curve of run times.. I couldn’t find any table for adults but I did find the dreaded table from those “presidential fitness” tests that I detested as a kid. Your mile (and my mile!) is faster than the average teenage girl and would qualify you for some spiffy award these days… http://www.presidentschallenge.org/educators/program_details/physical_fitness/qualifying_standards.aspx# –if you’re interested..

G.G. • April 18, 2007 at 1:57 pm

PQ–What is your weekly fitness routine? Do you run on some days and do Pilates on others? What’s your mix like?

Just curious.

PastaQueen • April 21, 2007 at 12:35 pm

G.G. – I do Pilates every other day. I do weight lifting every third day. I run every other day (usually the day I’m not doing Pilates), though sometimes I might run two days in a row. I try to space it out though so I don’t hurt my knees. I also started doing my kickboxing aerobics class on Tuesdays. When that concludes I think I’ll look for another new activity to try. Right now I’m eyeing tennis.

I record what I’ve done on a calendar in my kitchen and let things just shake themselves out. I never do all three things on one day because I don’t want to spend two hours a day exercising. I also take off at least one day every week or so where I don’t do anything to avoid burn out.

PastaQueen • April 21, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Kyra – You know, I have no idea why they call it a mini-marathon and not a half-marathon. I didn’t even notice it until you mentioned it because that’s just what they’ve always called it around here. Anyway, the more the merrier! Funny you should mention the weight thing, because Debbi has been frustrated by the fact that she hasn’t been losing while training. Good to know it’s actually common.