Let your freak-flag fly

I always knew Drew Barrymore was prettier than me, but according to People magazine she’s more beautiful than everyone else too. She landed the top spot on their annual 100 Most Beautiful People list. And she has some awesome things to say about beauty:

“I just think happiness is what makes you pretty. Period,” she tells the magazine. “Happy people are beautiful. They become like a mirror, and they reflect that happiness.”

I second that, anyone want to third it?

When do you feel most beautiful?

Right after I’ve worked out and I’m sweating all over the place and my face is two different colors of white and red and my hair is half wet, half dry and I look like I’m about to have a heart attack. I feel like I’ve changed the shape of my body temporarily into something more flexible and strong.

I know lots of people feel embarrassed at the gym when their face gets red, but Drew makes a great point that exercise can be empowering.

“The only fundamental rule for me is to just be yourself,” she says. “Let your freak-flag fly, and if someone doesn’t get you, move on.”

This is so reasonable and positive, what is it doing in a major trade publication? Well, until the editors notice the vacuum caused by an absence of self-loathing messages in their publication, I’m going to buy a flag pole and mount it outside my bedroom window just so I can fly my freak-flag. The rental manager shouldn’t mind, right?

VegasGirl • April 27, 2007 at 10:26 am

OMG! I’ve always loved Drew Barrymore so much and now I love her so much more! I’m going to go buy that magazine and post the article next to my work out calendar. hehe

Amy • April 27, 2007 at 10:47 am

was it kevin? because he’s totally my boyfriend now. 4eva!!!

Xena • April 27, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Yes, I have always loved Drew, even if she’s not ‘conventionally’ beautiful. I’ve always marched to the tune of a different drummer, so I’m gonna let my freak-flag fly too! Love it!

Kimberly • April 27, 2007 at 3:07 pm

I love that! I’m meeting a bunch of online friends for the first time this weekend, and I’ve been really freaked out about it.

I suddenly realize there’s no reason to be.

I’m going to let my freak-flag fly! And they’ll either love me, or dart uncomfortable looks at each other as we munch our lunch.

Yeah!

melissa • April 27, 2007 at 3:59 pm

I have been lurking here for some time, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I especially enjoyed todays blog. I found it quite freeing. I’ll just bet you are very beautiful right after a workout. You are so evolved and witty and according to your pitctures, you are very pretty. Thanks!, Melissa

Emily • April 27, 2007 at 5:54 pm

I love that quote about feeling the most beautiful after a workout. I always act like I look terrible when my face is all red and I’m sweaty, yet I think I secretly love looking like I just worked really hard. I guess I don’t have to keep that a secret!

K • April 27, 2007 at 6:21 pm

That happens to me too after I’ve worked out. It’s weird. Obviously one workout hasn’t made me thinner and more athletic (jelly-legged and exhausted, more like) but I feel all lithe and strong.

Must be those endorphins.

All this reference to freak flags is making me want to sing “How Can I Sing Like a Girl?” But I am a girl. Hmmm.

Chris H • April 27, 2007 at 9:58 pm

I just love Drew Barrymore, she is a real person in a world full of bullshitting holier than thou people….I feel most beautiful when I am feeling great about my day… so pretty much all the time now! Life is so much better when one is feeling neat…. hey, just to be a pain…. how do you feel when you post a comment on someone’s blog and they take exception to what you said ? I sometimes put a comment on that is hopefully going to make them sit back and ask themselves the honest questions, instead of just bleating about their weight….and yesterday I got blasted outta the water…. and feel yuk now! What would you do?

Sarah • April 28, 2007 at 5:06 am

I’ve always thought Drew Barrymore had that extra little something to her. She always seemed more real to me than most of Hollywood, always marching to the beat of her own drum.

I think it’s funny you touched on this subject because I was just thinking to myself yesterday that I feel beautiful now… at 240 (ish) pounds. Not many 240 pound people can say that but I really do feel absolutely beautiful. I still have a ways to go but it’s good to know that even in Hollywood the most unconventional beauties can still be thought of as beautiful.

Sarah • April 28, 2007 at 5:07 am

Good Lord! Sorry that repeated so many times. I was having soe slight computer problems (obviously).

PastaQueen • April 28, 2007 at 8:27 am

Sarah – Don’t worry about. Duplicate comments happen sometimes and I deleted it for you. I remember when I got down to around 220 pounds I felt totally awesome. I checked myself out in mirrors all the time even though I was still technically obese.

Heather • April 28, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Sweet! I like Drew Barrymore… Always seemed more natural to me– in appearance and demeanor.

Denny • April 29, 2007 at 12:56 am

Drew Barrymore is cool. And beautiful. Conventional and otherwise. But isn’t it easy for the beautiful people to say that that say it comes from within?

katieo • April 30, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Love those Drew comments, great post!

Mymsie • April 30, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Love Drew! She always seems to be bubbling over with good energy.