A good reason to work your core

It can be hard convincing yourself to work out everyday. The burn, the sweat, the orgasms. Oh wait, did I say orgasms? Why yes indeedy, I did. The Page Six gossip column just revealed the best reason to work out that I’ve ever heard. I think registration is required, so here’s the except:

More Than Squat – SATISFIED women have been e-mailing Men’s Health, thanking the mag for a recent feature on an exercise that produces a strange side effect. “One of our fitness experts, Alwyn Cosgrove, described a great exercise called the single-leg squat,” says Men’s Health Editor in Chief Dave Zinczenko. “But since the story ran, at least half a dozen women have e-mailed us to report that they experience orgasm during the exercise,” an effect attributed to pressure on the pelvic floor. “It’s a core exercise, so we’re calling the results ‘coregasm,’ ” quipped Zinczenko. It doesn’t work for men.

In the interest of helping all the ladies out there develop their core, I tracked down a description of the exercise:

Single-Leg Squat

Stand on a bench or box that’s about knee height. Hold your arms in front of you and flex your right ankle so your toes are higher than your heel. Keeping your torso as upright as possible, bend your left knee and slowly lower your body until your right heel lightly touches the floor. Pause for 1 second, then push yourself up. That’s one repetition.

YOUR BEST EFFORT: 0 TO 1 REPS

THE PROBLEM: Individually, your legs aren’t strong enough to support your body weight through the entire range of motion.

THE FIX: A two-pronged attack using “negatives” and “partials,” both of which help you challenge your weak spots and lower your breaking point. Do this workout once every 4 days until you can perform at least two single-leg squats with perfect form.

I think we’d all love to experience multiple reps. Good luck and don’t lose your balance!

Blair • April 18, 2007 at 11:43 am

Here’s a thread you’d like: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1457656

PastaQueen • April 18, 2007 at 11:47 am

Why has no one worked this into a marketing campaign for the gym? The memberships would sell themselves.

dg • April 18, 2007 at 12:48 pm

heeeeehehheheehe! this is the same exercise my physio prescribed for my dodgy knee. what a pervert!

Kelly • April 18, 2007 at 2:10 pm

This is hilarious. Now where can I find myself a knee-height box…?

Chris H • April 18, 2007 at 4:37 pm

Two words: bloody hell !

Ty • April 18, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Ummm, I think I have been doing the wrong kind of squats.

Lose Weight With Me • April 18, 2007 at 7:34 pm

I dunno…I do one legged squats twice a week and don’t find that they feel good at all!

I mention it only because it’s related to this topic, but i just posted a beginner’s routine to for core and abs on my blog today.

Brian

Heather • April 18, 2007 at 8:33 pm

It doesn’t work for me. :(

Not that I got immediately up and tried it or anything.

bazu • April 18, 2007 at 8:45 pm

I. am. going. to. try. this.

erin • April 19, 2007 at 11:04 am

I am so trying this on my lunch break. hehe.

almost vegetarian • April 19, 2007 at 1:41 pm

All I can say is I can’t wait for my workload to ease off a bit for me to try this. Heaven knows, it is probably much healthier than tea and a biscuit. Happier, too.

Cheers!

Kimberly • April 19, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Wow…I’m loving this blog. What an awesome thing to do. I say that oh so modestly since I started one yesterday. Looking forward to reading more here. =)

laurie • April 19, 2007 at 6:32 pm

Darn, I must be doing it wrong.

Um, not that I also immediately got up and tried it or anything.

anonomous (today due to confession) • April 20, 2007 at 11:31 am

hmmm…not sure if this is the place for this “confession” but…………when I was still a kid venturing into puberty , well maybe younger, I sort of could get one by wrapping around a pole, scooting up it or doing chin ups or sitting indian style pushing my body off the ground w/my hands. I didn’t know I was a pervert, just that it felt good.

Why am I admitting that! Or even remembering it. Oh well …I’m anonomous today. I hope!

m • April 20, 2007 at 3:09 pm

I must be very lazy because the first thing I thought was: surely there are easier ways to get it off?

But, as always, the benefits of exercise are not to be underrated!

gq • April 20, 2007 at 5:54 pm

I tried it, and I’m not quite strong enough to do a full one. However, I felt good tingles at the very base of my abdomen, and I could certainly see how this would work!

Thanks for the heads up, gonna keep working on this one! LOL

Erin • April 21, 2007 at 8:55 am

So that must be why I always have an inexplicable craving for a cigarette after Pilates.

Jen • April 24, 2007 at 4:59 am

Hmmm I do these All. The. Time. I think t-nation are having laffs with us. You ever read the rest of T-nation? Not particularly PC, but amusing and informative all the same.