Weight: 186 – Pounds left to lose: 26

If my sore triceps are any indication, this small bounce back up a pound is at least partly due to muscle. About time too, since everyone said I would gain weight because of muscle and it hadn’t happened yet. I was beginning to wonder if my dumbbells were broken.

Last night I discovered I can now squeeze into those size 14 jeans I bought on the last day of 2006. I know most women try to convince themselves they are a size smaller than they actually are, but I must have some brain synapses crossed because I typically try to convince myself I’m a size larger than I am. I actually missed the time I was a size 24 and went right from a baggy pair of size 26’s to a pair of 22’s. I get so used to the looser feel of my jeans as I shrink that I don’t believe the next size down should feel as tight as they do when I first put them on. I also like to keep muffin top a product of my stove and not my waistband. I find it amazing that I only have to lose about 10 pounds now to get down to the next size.

Yesterday I realized I have four big milestones crammed into these final 26 pounds. First, when I finally fit into a pair of size 12 jeans and thus no longer have to shop in the plus-sized section. Second, when I weigh 172 and have lost 200 pounds. Third, when I weigh 169 and am officially no longer overweight according to my BMI. And finally, when I hit my goal weight of 160.

Besides those goals, I’m also looking forward to Daylight Saving Time this weekend because it will finally be light enough in the evenings for me to run on the trail again, assuming it gets warm enough. The treadmill is fine, especially for getting in my TV shows, but I’m sure my downstairs neighbor will appreciate it when I stop pounding on his ceiling. Hopefully I can finish watching Justice League: Unlimited before that happens though. Will Lex Luthor become president? I have to know!

Laurianna • March 10, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Congratulations on the muscle! That is always a great thing to start to happen! Means you are working hard!

I know you hear it all the time- (at least I HOPE you do!) But you are ROCKING… amazing to keep to this goal and get to it like you have! I know I am definately inspired when I come see your blog and your progress- plus it is always good for a chuckle too! :)

I am excited for the next bunch of big milestones for you!! Keep it up!!

La-

vickie • March 10, 2007 at 1:24 pm

As you continue to tone and loose – it will take fewer and fewer pounds to make a difference in sizes. Consider trying on a couple sizes – the next time you shop. Sometimes I have been so shocked to fit into a smaller size that I haven’t realized that I was REALLY close to the next size down (after that).

Lose Weight With Me • March 10, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Congratulations on your results so far…you are truly rocking!

I was so excited when I made the transition from the “Big and Tall Man” section to the “Regular Guy” section, so I can relate to what you’re saying.

Way to go!

Brian

Chris H • March 10, 2007 at 5:26 pm

My god, you are nearing that amazing time with all those 1sts coming up! I can still remember how fantastic it felt to walk into a “regular” shop and buy clothes.. it is AMAZING… and you will find the smile just won’t leave your face! I got such a buzz out of the shop attendant asking me “now, what size are you?” and me saying “Well I used to be a 28, but now I think I’m a 14” and found I was a 12 instead! Good luck!

bazu • March 10, 2007 at 7:00 pm

I like this post because of all the optimism and possibility it represents- all those milestones that you are about to achieve, and of course, warmer weather, longer sunlight, outdoor exercise… thanks for that!

bbabbo • March 10, 2007 at 8:27 pm

For some instant gratification, try ordering some clothes from LL Bean these days. They seem to have redefined all the standard sizes, so that women (or at least I) wear a much smaller size than I ever imagined. A few months ago, I had to keep sending back some corduroy shirts I’d ordered until I finally got the correct size: “small petite.” Now, let me tell you, I am neither small NOR petite! And a few weeks ago, I ordered some corduroy pants from them in a Size 10, and they are the right size, and even a little baggy, and I’m no Size 10! But it’s great for the ego. :)

starbird • March 10, 2007 at 10:40 pm

How many bounce backs have you had? You take it so calmly, I’m impressed.

I used to totally freak when one of my weight-loss programs (read: “I”)appeared to be failing. Now that I’ve come so close to my goal, a little bump doesn’t scare me any more.

Way to go, PQ. You are an inspiration to us all!

Trixie Belden • March 11, 2007 at 1:22 am

These last 26 pounds must be an emotional rollercoaster for you. It must be so exciting to hit so many milestones all at once. I wish you many happy thoughts as you pass each one by!

Mymsie • March 11, 2007 at 8:43 pm

Exciting milestones ahead!

P.S. I’m bitter about losing an hour, but it is nice that it’s light out later.

PastaQueen • March 12, 2007 at 12:44 am

starbird – I’ve had two plateaus and various bounces along the way. I actually weigh myself everyday now, but only post the weight on Saturdays. During the week my weight fluctuates by 2 or 3 pounds, so a pound gain doesn’t freak me out. A 5 pound gain would be reason for anxiety though.

Heather • March 12, 2007 at 3:54 am

Careful! You’re are entering no-cute-clothing zone. Most my life I’ve been between size 10 and 14. I could find cute clothes up to size 8 and at 16… but it’s a lot harder in the midrange sizes. People forget us.

Les • March 12, 2007 at 8:54 am

Congrats on the muscle. I assuming you don’t workout too heavy; so you should gain much weight, but you should also notice a loss of inches.

BrightAngel • March 12, 2007 at 11:16 am

“Waistband Muffin Top”

This is the first time I’ve heard it.

What a great and accurate term for the afliction

commonly caused by Too Tight low-rise pants.

Lily • March 12, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Ha Ha. You watch Justice League? You are so cute. My husband and cousin watch it and recommend it. Maybe I should give it a try.

Congrats on all your milestones. The not-overweight one is the most impressive. Hope to join you soon!

loadoff • March 12, 2007 at 2:18 pm

I’m just starting on my journey, and seeing where you’ve come from is a great inspiration so I took the plunge to start my own journey and blog. Thanks for sharing with us and inspiring me to do that.

BTW: It’s going to be so much fun to shop in the regular section. I know they’re out there because I’ve seem people wearing them, but I’ve never found any plus-sized clothes that are cute and flattering for me. The cut is just always all wrong. Because of that, I can’t wait to get into 12’s too!

Debbie • March 12, 2007 at 2:39 pm

It’s a nice feeling to have clothes that feel loose instead of too tight, isn’t it?

Rah • March 13, 2007 at 7:26 am

You teach me so much about not letting little changes discourage me. You remain an inspiration, PQ! BTW, although you may gain temporarily from those muscles, it is the muscle mass that revs up your metabolism, so in the long run you will benefit bigtime!