Weight: 185 – Pounds left to lose: 25

Back down to 185. I must admit, I do prefer being on this side of the “half of me” mark, though I’m also enjoying my new muscles too.

I’ve decided to start my own personal “Lick the Produce Department” challenge, in which I buy fruits and vegetables I have never cooked with before. And then actually cook with them. Just buying the food and trying to eat it with my eyes would be rather silly. This week, I made eggplant pizza-ettes which were delicious. For some reason I thought eggplant would be purple inside as well as out. I was surprised to discover it was greenish and I’d actually eaten it before in pasta at The Olive Garden. Currently in the fridge – a yam, a zucchini, and a butternut squash. I’ve always been scared to try a new recipe if it contains too many ingredients that I’ve never used. Maybe by cooking with one new thing at a time I’ll be able to feel comfortable taking on more exotic recipes.

I’ve been running on the trail this week and I’m starting to realize how much rougher the concrete is on my joints than the treadmill is. My knees let out little aches and moans as I climbed the stairs a day after my run. I think they were mumbling “Stop grinding us to the bone, woman!” They never did that during the winter months on the treadmill. I just bought some new running shoes, so hopefully that will help absorb some of the shock of running on a hard surface. The shoes have tongues, but they haven’t started mumbling anything to me yet.

Hilly • March 31, 2007 at 10:55 am

First of all, congrats on getting back under your mark but I am guessing the working out is a great thing! I love all squash and eggplant…being half Italian, I grew up on them before they were hip. I will dig around for some of my recipes for you!

thrilled • March 31, 2007 at 11:41 am

I thought of you trying new fruits yesterday when I was in the store and decided to pick up a vegetable I’d never tried. I chose some chayotes — a type of squash grown in Mexico.

BTW: Zucchini cakes (shredded zucchini, some breadcrumbs, seasonings, a little onion, and a bit of egg to hold it all together and form into patties for cooking in a nonstick pan) are a foolproof way to eat the vegetable. I’ve never seen anyone not like them. But also, zucchini is so mild that you can shred it up on a grater and mix it into almost anything (burgers, crab cakes, taco meat, spaghetti, casseroles, you name it) anytime you want to add vegetable bulk to a meal that’s otherwise lacking. You’ll hardly notice it’s there!

Good luck with your cooking adventures!

catzmiyow • March 31, 2007 at 11:46 am

Hey, PQ! Long time reader, first time poster. You are the shizzle.

About your jogging pains, you could try barefoot running (check out barefootrunning.org); not that I’m a wacky omg-how-dare-you-wear-shoes nutso or anything, but it is compelling. While I’ve never tried barefoot running personally, I do not and have never worn shoes while lifting weights, for pretty much the same reasons that barefoot runners run barefoot.

Glossy • March 31, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Butternut squash is lovely roasted and then put in a risotto. I also love squash soup or squash and sweet potato soup – delicious.

I do cooked sliced eggplant (or aubergine as well call it!) layered with a tin of tomatoes and some low fat cheese on the top baked in the oven. It is really nice and fills you up with hardly any calories.

marygrace • March 31, 2007 at 3:05 pm

hi! i took up running a couple of years ago, and when i first began, i quickly realized how important the right pair of shoes are. if you can, it would be really beneficial to go to a running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes by one of the salespeople. they are very knowledgeable, and, after watching you run for a minute, can determine a lot of things about your gait and will be able to recommend what type of shoe would work best for you. when i first started running, i went to the closest foot locker and picked out a cheap pair of nikes on the “running” wall, and was really uncomfortable! after being fitted for a pair of brooks at my local running store (i had to spend about $100, but it was definitely worth it) i’ve had a lot less problems with pains in different parts in my legs.

brittany • March 31, 2007 at 4:39 pm

I was curious because I started pilates about a week and a half ago (i love it), i know this is a silly question. But I weigh 300+ plus, were you terminally ungraceful when you started? and did it get more fluid as you continued pilates and lost weight?

Brittany

Lose Weight With Me • March 31, 2007 at 5:46 pm

Congrats at being back at 185…we knew you’d be there again!

I love butternut squash, but have never tried eggplant. You’ve got me curious now, though, so I may just pick one up!

Brian

PastaQueen • March 31, 2007 at 6:15 pm

brittany – Oh, yeah. I wasn’t very good at all when I started and I was probably about 250. I think some of the moves are just harder when your legs and torso weigh more, like side kicks and the tesaser. Rolling has gotten easier as I’ve lost weight because I don’t need as much momentum to do it.

ann • March 31, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Congratulations! It must feel incredible to have lost so much weight – and this blog is a major inspiration to so many readers.

Chris H • April 1, 2007 at 12:00 am

I commend you for trying new foods, I wish I had the time and inclination to do it too… I tend to do 3 seperate dinner meals, one for the littlies, one for the biggies and one for me… so trying new recipies is just not on right now. Love new sneakers.. hope the tongues keep shutting up!

Kini • April 1, 2007 at 10:45 am

After reading this post, I picked up an eggplant to try out. I remember my parents cooking them (have NO idea what they did to the poor suckers) and my brother and I HATED it…

I love it now. I think maybe I am finally growing up. ;)

Deirdre • April 1, 2007 at 1:16 pm

I’ve been having fun experimenting with beans of all things. I guess my father must not have liked them because we didn’t eat them when I was growing up, and I never cooked them when my children lived at home because my older son is deathly allergic, but I loved them in Tuscany last year. I made a cassoulet last night. I’ve discovered they’re great in turkey soup. Now, I’m looking for a good, simple chicken chili recipe and for Tuscan beans.

D

D

the veggie paparazzo • April 1, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Yay for trying out a big variety of vegetables! I post vegetable-centric recipes regularly, so check my blog out if you need some ideas at some point. Also, my comment may get eaten for including a URL, but this blog I’m posting is a mom and her son going through vegetables alphabetically and trying different recipes to see what he might discovers he likes. It’s very interesting, and the recipes look great: http://www.greatbigvegchallenge.blogspot.com/

lovelines • April 2, 2007 at 3:17 am

Mm, eggplant

And yeah running on concrete is killer for your joints. Maybe try swimming instead?

Erin • April 2, 2007 at 11:42 am

Hey, just wanted to say I’ve read all your blogs and I think you’re cool. I know you don’t claim to be the diet know it all or anything, but I just thought I’d let you know that your blogs, and the combination of my stomach hanging over my pants have inspired me to lose 20 lb so far this year! whoo hoo. So if you’re ever in Chicago, let me know, and we can go eat healthy things… or not.

Lisa • April 2, 2007 at 11:54 pm

You are a braver woman than me, trying all those new veggies. I’m still stuck in veggie childhood. Although I’ve learned to like a few more like asparagus and broccoli, I still despise squash and eggplant. Don’t even get me started on mushrooms!

Running on concrete is a lot harder on the knees and feet than a treadmill, but you get a different workout too. I’ve found that the more stretching I do the happier my knees are, so I do a 10 minute warmup, 5 or 6 different leg stretches, do my run, and then do the same stretches after.

Happy running!

PJ • April 3, 2007 at 11:57 am

I tried the baked sweet potato fries. The rest of the family didn’t go for them so much, but I thought they were FABULOUS! Thank you!