There might be better jobs, but I don’t know what they are

I’ve attended a couple career fairs in the past, but I never saw a booth advertising this job – Cadbury chocolate taster! I suppose that’s the kind of job they don’t need to advertise. Even if I did see it listed in the classifieds, I’d probably think it was as genuine as the blurbs telling me I can make thousands of dollars a week at home stuffing envelopes. No college education required!

The only down side would be that you’d probably have to taste some unsuccessful chocolate experiments. The article explains some of the chocolate tasting jargon and mentions that the word “hammy” is used “if they detect overtones of putrefying meat.” Putrefying meat? Are they using the corpses of the chickens that lay the chocolate eggs in their products now?

Unless I migrate to Britain, I doubt I will ever get to be a Cadbury chocolate taster. However, there are evidently positions for ice cream tasters as well, and that guy in the article has got to die sometime, hopefully not from dairy-induced health trauma. The hardest part of the job seems to be that you spit the ice cream out instead of actually eating it. I don’t know if I could do that. Seems like a big tasting tease to me.

I know some people live to eat, but these people eat to make a living.

amyt • March 16, 2007 at 10:49 am

i knew a woman who worked at a chocolate factory. she gained 30 pounds in 6 months. she had to quit. she couldn’t handle the weight gain.

Amber • March 16, 2007 at 10:55 am

I dont think I could be so brave to eat chocolate for my living that would be so dangerous. I think it is interesting and had no clue that some people really do it for a living, wow!

Debbi • March 16, 2007 at 11:48 am

When I was a WW leader, about 30 years ago, one of my members was a food taster for Procter & Gamble who, at that time, made a variety of food products (Jif, Pringles, Crisco, etc.). She lost more than 100 pounds following WW and spitting out food at her job. We were all in awe of her.

I doubt I could spit out chocolate, though.

Flora • March 16, 2007 at 12:27 pm

I lived near a chocolate factory for a couple of years as a kid. Not all the processing aromas are good. Some of them are downright nasty. I wonder if that’s why I’ve never been crazy about chocolate.

Cheese, now, forget it. That’s my biggest food addictino. I wonder, if I moved next door to a dairy farm would it put me off cheese? I might have to try it.

Vamp • March 16, 2007 at 12:44 pm

If they ever have a Harry & David’s dark chocolate truffle taster position open up I’m submitting my resume.. no fooling, they are SO good! ^_^

Michele • March 16, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I’ve been to Cadbury World in England…. (benefit of being married to a Brit and travelling there to visit family)and it was FABULOUS!!! I know I could NOT work there…Cadbury chocolate is my downfall!!!

Mymsie • March 16, 2007 at 1:41 pm

*applying for Visa to move to England*

Heather • March 16, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Oh geez– my weight increases enough in a restaurant… and sweets (not eating out) have always been my downfall. Scary!

Megan • March 16, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Tasting ice cream and then spitting it out? Blasphemous! That’s like wine tasters who spit out the booze after it has saturated every ounce of their mouths. I’ll drink the whole thing, even if I hate it. (Probably why I’ve only been wine tasting a couple of times; I don’t exactly want to add “alcohol” to my list of vices.)

Lose Weight With Me • March 16, 2007 at 6:24 pm

I’m still looking for a beer-taster position!

Brian

Amy • March 16, 2007 at 10:26 pm

I can think of a better one – Godiva chocolate taster!

lovelines • March 17, 2007 at 3:51 am

That’s why I don’t get wine and cheese tasting. I love wine and cheese, but I generally like actually, you know, eating it, not just tasting and spitting out. Where’s the fun in that?

tonya • March 17, 2007 at 9:25 am

I moved from Indpls to the DC area in December.

They have chocolate volunteers here!

see my entry from January

Mark • March 17, 2007 at 11:10 am

I worked at a donut shop in high school. For fear of overindulgance, I resolved never to eat any of the donuts, even though it was all-you-can-eat for the staff. And I didn’t.

After I quit I occasionally went back to buy donuts.

Rosemary Grace • March 17, 2007 at 11:40 am

I just found out my husband hase NEVER had a Cadbury’s Cream Egg! Can you imagine? he grew up near H ershey, PA though, so he’s wel fed with Hershey’s treats.

Vic • March 18, 2007 at 11:24 pm

Interesting job if ever I got one. It would only mean serious exercise for the rest of your life to remove all those excess sugar you’ll get from all those chocolates. Nevertheless, it would be like living a life in a chocolate factory.

Carrie • March 19, 2007 at 10:13 pm

I won’t surprised if lots of people will fall in line trying to get the job. It’s will be like an easy job for almost everybody. Sitting on a chair and trying out those new chocolates.