Donuts and Milkshakes

I had to giggle when I saw that Krispy Kreme has introduced a whole wheat doughnut. I’m typically a fan of whole-wheat products, but looking at the nutritional information (PDF here) on Krispy Kreme’s site this donut doesn’t seem to be much of an improvement over the original glazed donut. It has only 20 calories less per serving, only 3g less carbohydrates and only a gram or two more fiber. A slight improvement, but not a remarkable breakthrough in food science.

I’d be willing to try one if I ever found myself in a Krispy Kreme again, which is about as likely as finding me in the next Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. But I’m of the opinion that if you’re going to have a treat you should go whole hog and get the treat you want. If you compromise, you don’t enjoy it as much as if you’d gotten what you really wanted and you’ve still got more calories and carbs swimming in your stomach than you would have otherwise.

When I drove home from my friend’s theatre performance this weekend, I stopped at Steak N’ Shake and got a mint chocolate milkshake because I had been thinking about it for at least 20 minutes while driving. I told myself “Geez, if you’re going to obsess over a silly milkshake you should just go get one already.” It was damn good and I’m still wiping the drool off of my car’s upholstery. I enjoyed it, probably more than I used to because it’s a rare treat these days and thus more precious. I enjoyed it a bit less when I came home and looked online to discover it had 717 calories. But I don’t regret it because I really wanted that milkshake and that was also the day I discovered I could run 5K continuously, which almost burned off all those calories.

I certainly think it’s good for restaurants to include healthy items on their menu if at all possible. But when it comes to a donut company, adding a healthy donut is like dressing up a cow up in a tomato suit and trying to sell it to vegetarians. It’s not beef, it’s a vegetable! Ignore the taste of cotton/polyester blend! If you go to Krispy Kreme you want to eat something you know isn’t good for you. If you were being health conscious you would be eating at one of the restaurants that has a halo of a healthy brand, like Subway. So, nice try Krispy Kreme, but if I’m lured into your drive-through again I think I’ll stick to a chocolate iced custard filled donut. Yum.

Laura • March 2, 2007 at 12:19 pm

Some things just can’t be healthy. Donuts fall into that category. I’ve seen whole wheat donuts at Dunkin Donuts, too. Another thing that can’t be healthy are croissants. I see whole wheat croissants and think, “add some fibre but you’ve still got all the fat so what’s the point?”

Christy • March 2, 2007 at 12:41 pm

I agree. If I have already decided to go to Krispy Kreme I am not really worried about saving 20 caloried on a donut.

jodi • March 2, 2007 at 12:49 pm

i don’t think i’ve ever been in a krispy kreme shop, let alone tasted one… weird… i guess i’m just not a huge donut person (but was when i was younger – mmm, tastycake cinnamon!)… and IF i have a choice, i most always go for the bagel anyway… why bother making something, that is clearly not much healhier, and claim that it is? donuts are donuts are donuts…

coraspartan • March 2, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Mmmm…Krispy Kreme. Oh, how I miss ye. The Krispy Kreme by us closed about a year ago and I haven’t had one since. The only time we ever ate them was when my stepdad came to visit (about twice a year) and insisted on stopping there. Thanks for the PDF–I was surprised to learn that an original glazed only has 200 calories! That’s not nearly as bad as I thought. The next time I drive by a Krispy Kreme and see the “hot, fresh donuts” sign lit up, I may just have to stop in and indulge if I have enough calories left in my calorie budget that day!

BTW, I am a huge advocate of whole grain foods, but even I think a whole wheat donut is wrong.

mickey • March 2, 2007 at 1:33 pm

whole wheat donuts are actually good tasting in a way (if you like that grainy flavor with some additional sweetness), but not by krispy kreme. ew.

i am always happy when there are things that i don’t actually need to be eating that i don’t like. krispy kreme falls in that family. even during the KK explosion, i was just never tempted.

Chris H • March 2, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Shit you make me laugh! You are so like me in some respects it is uncanny. I too do not deny myself if I am craving something wicked, what’s the point? Life is still for living, and one indulgence occasionally is not going to kill us. That is why today I am going to eat cake, and enjoy every mouthful, it is my “day off”… oh yeah!

Jen • March 2, 2007 at 2:04 pm

I feel the same way about those 100-calorie packs that are supposed to taste like oreos or girl scout cookies or doritos. Or low-calorie ice cream. They just make me want more — and because of the aura of low-calorieness, I’m tempted to go ahead and have the second, or third, serving. I’m better off buying a single serving of the real thing once in a while and enjoying it.

Glad you enjoyed your milkshake. :)

Lee • March 2, 2007 at 2:45 pm

love this blog and all, but, please people, it’s doughnut! ;)

honi • March 2, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Wow I just stumbled upon your blog. its about my third visit actually.. loved the doughnut post… not a big fan of those personally unless they are fresh hot out of the oven… I started my weight loss journey Jan.22.07 and I have lost about 12.5 pounds.. and it is possible to eat whole good foods and enjoy it. Every day I learn that the most best food is the food we prepare at home.. I do like to go out and eat from time to time.. but we now chose places with healthy options… your pictures by the way look great.. congradulations !!!

Amanda Jane • March 2, 2007 at 4:24 pm

A drive through donut store… wow… it is hard to even find a drive through KFC in Holland, actually I don’t even think they have one here. I haven’t eaten a donut in over 6 years so I don’t think I will be rushing out to try this new one, even if I could… there are no donut stores in Holland… no wonder the Dutch people keep so slim… it is all that cycling they do looking for a fast food place! lol. :)

Haystacks • March 2, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Yes they deep fry it and glaze it 4 times in sugar frosting, but it’s whole wheat!

Vamp • March 2, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Good god, I cannot stand donuts! Umm.. other than maple bars and old fashioned glazed.. Those are… *drool* ..against the diabetes rules… *sigh*

I did however recently discover that Weight Watchers fudge bars are only 110 calories and taste absolutely amazing! They can also be consumed in two days or less!

….let’s just say they’ve been added to the ban list when I go grocery shopping. -_-

Debbie • March 3, 2007 at 12:25 am

You just had to mention the chocolate iced custard-filled Krispy Kremes, didn’t you? I feel a snack attack coming on.

Debbie • March 3, 2007 at 12:26 am

You just had to mention the chocolate-iced, custard-filled Krispy Kremes, didn’t you? I feel a snack attack coming on.

sweet_talker • March 3, 2007 at 1:52 am

something that hurts more than a whole wheat donut is when you get something like say, a bagel, when you really want a cinnamon roll and then you find out later that they have the same amount of calories. ughhhh

MonicaMay • March 3, 2007 at 2:38 am

MMMM a donut sounds sooo good but youre right, when you treat yourself, you should go all the way! How ever did you teach yourself to jog?! Ive been wanting to do that for years!

Glossy • March 3, 2007 at 4:08 am

I agree, if you want a doughnut just eat it and get it over with. If I leave things like that too long I’d end up eating 5 doughnuts I was so desperate. And a 5k mile run as well – eat away!!!

lovelines • March 3, 2007 at 11:55 pm

I agree completely. Eating healthified desserts and toned down treats doesn’t really satisfy anyway, and it just ends up making you want the real thing in addition to whatever “healthy” alternative you just ate.

Mary • March 4, 2007 at 6:59 am

I would think that wheat donut would be good for people like me who only eat the glazed Krispy Kremes anyway. If I indulge in a donut, why not get the wheat? If you prefer one of the others, though? That is certainly NOT going to cut it!

Heather • March 4, 2007 at 1:26 pm

I love your metaphors. They’re always so great…

I adore Steak and Shake banana milkshakes. If I find an excuse to eat one (and I do, everytime I run over 15 miles and see a Steak And Shake before reaching the food-safety of my house)– I am all about it… No matter how many Calories they have.

Treats make life better. :) They just do.

anji • March 4, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Off-topic: I have been working at this school as a supply and there is a mini-pastaqueen there! OMG, it’s so creepy (in a good way). She’s not overweight (that’s not what I see in people) but – she has the same hair, face, eyes, mouth, EVERYTHING as in your pictures! She also seems a bit shy, which I’m not sure if you are (or were) but she’s a gr-5 pastaqueen!

amyt • March 5, 2007 at 10:09 am

chocolate iced custard filled is a boston creme. aslong as we’re testing the vernacular.

Lady Rose • March 8, 2007 at 4:09 pm