Weight: 187 – Pounds left to lose: 27

One pound away from officially losing half my body weight. Maybe I won’t have to lob off a hand to make it after all. The amount I have left to lose is equivalent to one bucket of kitty litter. When I started out I got a sense of how much I’d lost by hefting those bright yellow buckets into my grocery cart and thinking “Wow, I’ve lost 1/2/3/4 of these!” Eventually it got a point where it was so much weight I couldn’t even judge it anymore. Now we’re reaching the other side and I can actually lift the amount of weight I need to lose.

It appears my weight loss is back to the pattern of hold…hold…hold…HUGE LOSS! The ride down is exhilarating, like sledding down the enormous snowy hill in our backyard on the bright orange plastic sled I had as a kid. Climbing back up that snowy hill, slipping and sliding in the wrong direction, getting snow down my butt crack, was the tedious cost of the thrill ride. Seems like my weight loss is following the same pattern. But I’m down six pounds from last week!

Thanks for all the congratulations in my last entry! To answer some questions, I don’t know what the status is on international releases, but I’ll tell you when I find out. At the very least, the book will be available from online retailers, so if you are willing to pay the shipping costs you can get a copy. Also, I will make sure everyone who wants an autographed copy gets one, though you might have to pay some extra shipping costs. I might end up selling autographed copies directly on this site or just set up a PO Box where you can send them to be signed. I don’t know, but I’ll let you know when it gets sorted. Also, I’m aiming for the book to be 80,000 words long. And I’m going to go work on it right now because oh-my-God-I-have-to-write-80,000-words! See ya’!

Jeni • February 3, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Congrats on the book and the amazing loss this week! You are such an inspiration to so many bloggers out there – not just because of your weight loss but because of your willingness to share it with the world. I love your writing and can’t wait to see the book.

Lisa • February 3, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Wow a published author! That is so fantastic! I’ve been reading your blog for a year now and know you’re going to write a great book. I’m also at the 27 lbs to go mark, so here’s to reaching our goals this year!

Kala • February 3, 2007 at 1:11 pm

SWEEETTT!!!!!

la guera gordita • February 3, 2007 at 2:04 pm

I just want to take a moment to let you know how much you inspire me. To lose weight, to write more, to start my own blog, to go for a walk, to have confidence in myself….. and so much more. I have spent the last 2 weeks in my office reading your blog (while no one was looking) and I have finally gotten to a point where I just don’t feel like I want to die anymore. I feel like there is hope. Thank you. SO MUCH. I have something to look forward to in my life. I can do this.

Samiam • February 3, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Thats awesome! good to know it’s possible to still have a big downward slide so close to goal! Congrats!

the veggie paparazzo • February 3, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Congrats on your loss this week! It can be so disheartening when you have a long pause in the weight dropping; it’s so nice to see a happy ending to that happening. :)

d • February 3, 2007 at 3:17 pm

You really are awesome. Congratulations!!

I think a really good thing that you can think about as you write is how your book will motivate people. Your writing captures what it is like to be fat, and what it’s like to experience the loss of that weight so well, and I know your book will too.

I think your blog motivates me because you are able to make your reader experience the happiness or the wonder you personally feel when you see the scale go down. You make it all seem so worthwhile. And you make the process seem really positive and laughter-filled — of dealing with calorie-intake control, and having to exercise, and clothing issues, and all the stuff that comes with the challenge. And when i say “laughter-filled,” I don’t mean in some cheesy rachael ray/step class instructor fake way, but in a really honest way.

For whatever it’s worth, I’d really like to hear your more take on the Fat Acceptance movement in your book (particularly since you are internet savvy and that’s kind of an internet scene), and your take on men and male attention. Those are two intriguing topics for women interested in weight issues i think.

Debbie • February 3, 2007 at 3:17 pm

I think you’re going to find that writing a book is a lot like losing weight. You start off very excited and the first few pages or chapters go off very fast. Then you sort of get bogged down in the middle, but you’re still trying. Then you’re almost to the end and it seems like you just can’t finish. There’s something that just seems to stop you from reaching your goal. It’s almost like you don’t want to let go because you’ve been working at it so long and it’s consumed so much of your life. So good luck. I’ve been there. Not just with books, but with other writing projects. Just use the same mindset that worked for you in losing weight and you’ll get the book done. I can’t wait to see it.

Judi Finneran • February 3, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Thanks for being my example of what can be done. With a total of 185 pounds to lose and 172 of those left to go you are my motivation. Thanks for being there as a role model for us.

Cheers,

Judi

Haystacks • February 4, 2007 at 3:42 am

You are very much deserving of publishing. But does this mean no more blog?

Say it ain’t so…..

Melissa • February 4, 2007 at 10:30 pm

What a victory!

Kathryn (Ona Diet) • February 5, 2007 at 2:51 am

Hello hello, a million congratulations for all the weight you’ve lost!!! You are such an inspiration to me! I can’t wait to see such great results in my own fight against weight. I look forward to seeing your book on the shelves and picking up a copy. Good luck with the 80,000 words. I’m sure you’ll be able to get through it like you’ve gotten through the weight. Yay! …and keep up the fantastic work. :)

Silas • February 5, 2007 at 10:18 am

Losing half of yourself – what an amazing thing to say. Not very many people will ever accomplish what you already have. No wonder someone wants to publish your story :)

Keep us posted.

-Silas

Janice Bridge • February 5, 2007 at 2:37 pm

Smiling all the way!!! Good news is great for motivation – hense for weight loss. Congratulations. . . . NOW are you going to register at Amazon so we all can send you “Half of Me” gifts?!?!?!?

fatkat • February 5, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Glad to see you got over that plateau! Congrats on the book deal! I can’t wait to read it!

PastaQueen • February 5, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Janice – I put together a wish list at Amazon if you simply insist on buying me something :)

PastaQueen’s Wish List

BTW, you’re very sweet.

Jo • February 5, 2007 at 11:18 pm

Add my congrats to the earlier ones! I’ve had my own issues with weight loss over the years and I have an observation you may appreciate.

Since you described yourself as a bit of a techie, I think you’ll understand me when I say: one’s weight may asymptotically approach one’s goal. Having gone up and down several times and always getting close but never achieving the goal (sometimes just a few pounds away *sigh*) I have decided to move my goal – having a ‘fake’ goal and a ‘real’ goal to trick my math-challenged body.

It’s worked for me!

Rach • February 6, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Congrats on your success!!! How tall are you? (I’m sure you’ve mentioned this before, but I’m new to your world.)

mal • February 6, 2007 at 10:34 pm

This is the nice thing about tracking your weight so carefully. You can see your body’s patterns and talk yourself down out of metaphysical trees. Awesome work, lady. One pound to go! Hardly believeable.