Meme – 5 Things Few People Know About Me

I was tagged by Bitch Who Blogs, so forgive the lack of any weight-loss related posting today. Here are 5 things few people know about me, which will now be called 5 things few people know about me except for all those people who read my blog:

1) I had 5 wisdom teeth. It’s one of the little known side effects of being smart, it goes straight to your teeth. Strangely enough, my older brother only had 3 wisdom teeth which makes me wonder if he left one in the womb for me. I’m pretty sure my parents got charged extra to have the 5th one removed. The 5th one was like a tooth cap and didn’t have a full root. Here’s an x-ray of them. For the observant among you, I had 4 bicuspids pulled when I got braces, which is why there are only 29 teeth showing. I think everyone has on average one mutation, so that’s mine!

2) My high school chemistry teacher was Dr. Jeffrey Wigand, a former tobacco company researcher who testified against the industry and was portrayed by Russell Crowe in the Michael Mann film The Insider. The first six weeks of school he was just another teacher, but one weekend I flipped over the front page of the newspaper to see he had done an interview with 60 Minutes that had been pulled (and was later aired) due to corporate pressuring at CBS.

In a weird twist, a local television affiliate had filmed footage of our class as part of the traditional first day of school story, which led to a one second clip of me being aired on 60 Minutes. Which just goes to show it really does matter what you wear on the first day of school.

Dr. Wigand wasn’t that great of a teacher, but I suppose I should cut the guy some slack since it’s probably hard to put a lesson plan together when the tobacco industry is leaving you death threats and your wife is divorcing you. It took years before I was able to see Russell Crowe as a sex symbol because whenever I’d see him I’d think, “Ew, Dr. Wigand.”

3) I can wiggle my pinkie toe independently of the rest of my toes. It almost makes up for the fact that I cannot roll my tongue.

4) For the first 6 years of my life I went by the nickname Jenny, short for my full name of Jennette. However, since Jennifer was the most popular girl’s name of 1980, there was always another Jenny in the class and I got sick of being Jenny F. When we moved in 1986, I switched to Jennette. It took about 10 years after that to get all of my extended family to quit calling me Jenny.

5) Instead of twiddling my thumbs or shaking my knee up and down, I sometimes play the introduction to Mozart’s Concerto in C for piano with my fingers. I only took piano for two years, but the fingering for this song has been burned into my neurological pathways. I also used to be able to play the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, but only if I didn’t look at my fingers since that would instantly screw me up. I just had to let my brain run on automatic.

Haystacks • December 12, 2006 at 12:12 am

Is your brother not too bright?

Suey • December 12, 2006 at 12:21 am

Is that why my younger brother’s smarter than me? I only had 3 wisdom teeth too…

Suey • December 12, 2006 at 12:27 am

Oh yeah, hey PQ, I recall you said you’re a web developer. I’m curious what your undergrad major was…computer science? Multimedia production? And what do you do at your web development job? Do you have to know some graphic design?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions…just a college student trying to figure out her future…

Marla • December 12, 2006 at 7:37 am

“Ew, Dr. Wigand.” LOL!

Re #5, I type in my head – a very annoying habit – and sometimes it makes my fingers twitch. If anyone remarks, from now on I will tell them I’m playing air piano: the introduction to Mozart’s Concerto in C.

C. Froggenhall • December 12, 2006 at 1:27 pm

That’s cool about Dr. Wigand. I saw THE INSIDER, and thought that it seemed that Wigand was happier being a teacher than being a high-powered executive. And I used to be able to play “Trepak” from THE NUTCRACKER on the guitar, after having memorized it for a music fair when I was in 7th grade. For a long time that was my test to see if a guitar was in tune. I would play it and if it sounded funny, I knew something was off.

NicoleW • December 12, 2006 at 3:32 pm

I was born with *no* wisdom teeth. (Yes, I know that’s a setup begging for a punchline…)

K • December 12, 2006 at 8:40 pm

My best friend at school had no wisdom teeth (like Nicole) and used to say she was the next step in human evolution. Mine started coming in when I was nine, so I didn’t get any wiser as life went on :(

I can wiggle my pinkie toe too…

Also have one tune burned into my brain from piano lessons, but I can only remember the fingering if I actually have a keyboard there. Sadly, I had lessons for over ten years and I still wasn’t very good.

Samiam • December 12, 2006 at 11:01 pm

Thats cool about your chem teacher! I teacher chemistry(and biology :) and it’s never easy no matter what you have going on! I had 4 wisdon teeth, but they idn’t start coming in until I was in college!

Lynise • December 13, 2006 at 1:17 am

Hi there,

Love your blog. Well done on what you have lost so far. I’m just at the start of my own weight loss mission and are WL blogs give that extra boost of inspiration. For those girls who said they had no wisdom teeth, I thought I didn’t have any either, but earlier this year I started having a few problems (and noticed my teeth had shifted a bit over the years) but was surprised to find that I had all four wisdom teeth but they were ALL lying sideways. (known as impacted) I am now facing surgery 4 days before Christmas as I am booked in to have them out.

So I have since been told that people who think they don’t have them often find they are compacted. (drat) Ciao for now

kim • December 13, 2006 at 2:56 am

I used to type, like Marla, though not in my head. Now I write with a pen (either upside down or capped) Some people notice and want to know what I am “writing”

v'ron • December 13, 2006 at 9:43 am

Wow, I got hit with this same tag, and I ended up doing it on my regular blog, not my weightloss blog, mostly because I pretty much spill everythign on the weightloss blog. Don’t we all?

Oh, the teeth thing. I can’t help but comment — I had normal (well sort of) wisdom teeth, but my two front lower canines are still my baby teeth. I never developed the adult teeth. My dentist says he’s never seen anything like it, but heard about it in dental school. They’re solid as a rock, but he says if I ever lose ’em, they’re gone. No grownup teeth waiting in the wings.

Paige • December 13, 2006 at 9:47 am

Ha! I had 5 wisdom teeth too, only it was my DAD who had 3…..how weird is that?! And yes, you do get charged for the extra tooth (had mine out last year, so I looked at my bill).

Monica • December 14, 2006 at 2:39 am

Ok, you know I like you and everything, but I had to point this out so that I can stop gnawing on my cuticles because of it: 1) second sentence: “effects”, not “affects”. 2) last sentence: “due”, not “do”.

Whew! It’s not for you, it’s for me.

Now I gotta go rent The Insider.

PastaQueen • December 14, 2006 at 10:05 am

Monica – Actually, thank you for pointing out the errors. The problem with self-publishing is that I may have a spell checker, but I don’t have a proofreader. I’m sure there are other dumb errors like that scattered about in other entries, so if you ever see something, feel free to comment or e-mail me so I can fix it and look smarter than I obviously am :)

Tamara • May 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm

@Marla – I, too, type random things rather frequently, and not just in my head. My fingers actually twitch whenever I do it. Usually it’s a word or a phrase from either a show I’m watching, something I’m reading, or just my thoughts.

The really funny thing is that no one ever noticed it (to my knowledge) until my (now) husband asked me if that’s what I was doing, not long after we started dating. I said yes, surprised that he knew. He told me it made him happy because his ex-wife also used to do it, and it is one of his only fond memories of her.