Take your cheese back because there’s no whine here

One of my favorite new shows this season is Friday Night Lights which centers around a high school football team and the community’s cult-like devotion to them. I can tell this is a great show because I enjoy it and I don’t even like football! The coach of the team can’t seem to go anywhere – even out to breakfast – without everyone in town giving him advice about how to play the game. I feel for you Coach Taylor because that’s what it’s like to be a weight loss blogger. Thankfully, I at least don’t have rally girls baking chocolate coconut cakes for me.

I got a lot of good advice on plateaus in my last entry, but I was kind of giggling to myself because I don’t remember actually asking for tips. I’m not angry or anything. My pinkie is nowhere near the caps-lock key. But I did feel a bit like a football coach getting lectured on Hail Mary passes when all I wanted to do was eat some blueberry pancakes. You all mean well, I know, and there were definitely good ideas thrown out there. I’m sure all the tips will serve as a good resource for anyone reading through the blog in the future.

The reason I didn’t ask for any tips was that this plateau doesn’t really bother me. I’m finally at a weight where I can fit into restaurant booths, fly planes without seatbelt extenders, and easily find clothes that fit me. I was able to walk all over Boston without any exhaustion. My hip to waist ratio is below the danger zone. My resting heart rate is down to 50 beats per minute, which is pretty low. I’m still a fatty, but life is good, y’all!

The only bummer is when I have to come here every week and report on the weight stall because I know you guys are more down about it than I am. I think it’s good for me to keep reporting on the weight so I don’t slowly start to gain it back. A pound here, a pound there and it starts to add up to something. But from here on out I see the last 45 pounds as being 30% about health and 70% about vanity. If it takes another year or another six years (hey there, diet girl! *waves*) then that’s how long it takes. The things that bothered me the most about being obese are basically gone now. From here on out it’s just icing on the cake that I’m not eating.

Perhaps this is the best thing about having been morbidly obese. It gives you a great sense of perspective. If I had been thin all my life and had just recently ballooned up to 200+ pounds, I could see myself crying in my pudding. And who wants to eat salty pudding? Instead, I’ve lost 165 pounds to get where I am, so I appreciate it in a way a formerly thin girl probably never would.

On the last entry crankybee asked me: “I was just wondering if you’ve ever had emotional plateaus? You know, where you cannot be stuffed with the journey anymore?” I can’t recall having any extended sort of emotional plateau, but there have certainly been days or strings of days when I’ve seriously considered just sitting on the couch eating muffins instead of exercising. This past week has been one of them. At times like these the simple force of habit of exercising is my best tool. I’ve become so accustomed to walking and running most days that it feels odd and guilt-inducing not to exercise, like if I were to not go into work. Sure, it’d be nice to have a day off, but it would feel weird going to the grocery and seeing all the stay-at-home moms instead of the women in heels and suits picking up milk in the evening. Whereas when you are just starting out it’s the reverse, exercising itself is the weird event. Now, God forbid, if something disastrous or devastating were to happen to me I could see an emotional plateau happening, but lets just cross our fingers and knock on wood and hope that nothing bad happens to PastaQueen ever again, okay?

kalmia • October 16, 2006 at 12:03 pm

You really do know how to set a good example! I don’t think I’ve ever heard a healthier weight loss attitude.

Vickie • October 16, 2006 at 12:16 pm

You know – it is in the eye of the reader – because I thought they were all telling ME about plateaus since I had asked YOU to tell me about them.

I could tell you had been through at least one good one (me too) because you weren’t freaking out – and I did want to know if they were occurring at some regular intervals – because I think that it might be a chemical thing as long term “journey-women” work on going “down the scale.” Like the body adjusting to each new level.

Kala • October 16, 2006 at 12:40 pm

Sounds like your head is screwed on straight. Wish I had such a healthy outlook!

Debbi • October 16, 2006 at 12:54 pm

I had to go back and read all the comments from your last post to make sure I didn’t offer unsolicited advice. AS IF! Heh. I’m right there with ya, my friend.

I’m right there with you in not quite knowing what to do with – or about – unsolicited advice. I guess it’s a price to pay for writing “out loud,” instead of in a notebook.

Nic • October 16, 2006 at 3:57 pm

Hi! Just surfing by. You lost 165 pounds!! WOW! That is incredible! Congratulations! I am having trouble motvating to lose the 10 that I want to. You are an inspiration. WOW again! :D

AJ • October 16, 2006 at 7:54 pm

Hi PQ

I’ve been lurking here for a while now (thanks for a great, regular read) and just had to pop up, out myself, and agree with you. Reading yesterday’s comments I was giggling away thinking, she’s fine! Given her past experience she’s MORE than capable of working her way through a plateau PLUS it isn’t even bothering her!

If only we could all have such a healthy attitude to our weight. Congratulations :)

Monica • October 16, 2006 at 8:05 pm

If you have nothing else to blog about, could you talk a little bit about what you’re eating these days? I know a little bit about South Beach, but not enough to know what happens after 2 years of doing it. I know it’s not a diet but a “lifestyle change”, yadda yadda, so I’m just curious what this particular lifestyle is like.

Susan • October 16, 2006 at 9:42 pm

Hi PQ! Another fan de-lurking.

That is the perfect attitude! You rock!

Cherie • October 17, 2006 at 7:46 pm

Yes, yes, I see it, you are healthy and your pespective is great. But, could you please make sure you get down to 186 pounds? Because that’s half of the original you and I just need the title and you to reconcile themselves eventually for my mathematical peace of mind :) After all, isn’t it all about making me, one of your dear, faithful readers, happy? Otherwise it will be like the never-ending story on a TV show, when the writers keep dragging out the resolution just to keep you watching.

BTW, what is the hip to waist danger ratio? I didn’t know there was such a thing and I must know if I’m in danger.

Monica • October 17, 2006 at 7:47 pm

Had you taken pics more often, you could’ve turned your progress into something like this. Maybe it’s not too late to start? Hint… hint…

PastaQueen • October 17, 2006 at 10:06 pm

Cherie – Heh! Okay, I promise I will lose another 20 pounds just for you. Actually, I’m kind of psycho about math too. I’m the kind of person who would eat my M&M’s in an order so there’d be an equal number of each color left.

There is a hip-to-waist ratio calculator half-way down this article which also talks about why belly fat is an indicator of risk for heart disease, diabetes and stroke. Women should be under 0.8 to be considered okay and right now I’m at 0.75, a bit high but still out of the red zone.

Monica – I actually did think about making one of those time lapse movies because I saw an awesome one of someone’s braces moving their teeth. But the time and logistics of taking pictures from the same angle in the same spot in similar clothing every day just seemed like too much work for me. I also promise I’ll write up a South Beach entry sometime in the next month too.

Monica • October 17, 2006 at 11:02 pm

What the??!? Mine is 0.75 as well and I am pear shaped, so it’s really odd (with a low BMI).

Lynette • October 18, 2006 at 12:07 am

Wasn’t that diet girl post the best!? Glad you linked to it! I’m in my third year of battling down the numbers. Slow works! :-)