Bar stools are really uncomfortable

So I went to the Joseph Arthur concert last night and still have the black bee stamp on my right hand to prove it. Joseph Arthur seems to operate on some other plane of existence, like he’s vibrating between dimensions. At first I thought he might be stoned, but later on he complained that he hated when he read that on blogs since he’s been sober for a full two and a half weeks. (Well, you got to start somewhere.) He said he has ADD and he did remind me of that annoying kid Justin in my fourth grade class who would crawl on top of and under the furniture and run around in circles. Mostly I just wanted to stuff blackboard chalk down Justin’s throat, but if he could have rocked out like Joseph Arthur I probably wouldn’t have scratched out his photo in the yearbook. Joseph Arthur was pretty awesome and probably one of the most talented musicians I’ve seen live, right up there with Ben Folds.

The bar was indeed smoky and dark as most bars are. I think if I were a musician my health would go to shit. You have to constantly play in toxic environments, full of smoke and alcohol. You’re always on the road so maintaining a regular eating schedule of healthy foods must be difficult. And your exercise outside of jumping around onstage must be sporadic as well.

Not to mention the hearing damage you must sustain. I forgot to bring my ear plugs, but it was so loud that I decided to embrace my dorkiness and just stick my fingers in my ears for most of the show. They’re nature’s ear plugs, don’t you know? I hope the band wasn’t insulted, if they could even see me through the haze. I didn’t have any ringing in my ears at the end of the night, so I was quite glad I’d protected my eardrums. No one had tried to pick me up by the time he took the stage anyway, so I figured any loss of “cool points” was irrelevant at that point.

I did wear my pretty black lacy dress over some jeans and felt very well-dressed. There were a lot of fat people, which is unsurprising for a Midwest bar. In particular there was one girl who must have been about 5’2″ and 320 pounds who was wearing a green crocheted tank-top who I really admired for her bravery. I would never have worn a tank top when I was her size, but she looked bitchin’ and I have to hand it to her for rocking it out. Go, fat girl!

Debbi • October 6, 2006 at 4:25 pm

Go, PastaQueen! I probably would have left because of the smoke. At least I would have had to strip outside my door and leave the smelly clothes on the porch to air out before laundering them! Glad you went, and glad you had a good time.

Hilly • October 6, 2006 at 5:37 pm

WooHoo, you sexy thang!

I know people are going to chuck donuts at me for saying this but some artists are better when they are stoned, LOL.

crankybee • October 6, 2006 at 5:54 pm

Good on you for going – it’s hard to project yourself out the door when you are not used to it. When I lived in Scotland and weighed a huge 106 kg, I forced myself out of the lounge room and into a lot of dodgy bars to see bands. I had a laugh, upped the confidence, and had a good time! Keep it up!

christie • October 6, 2006 at 11:30 pm

The smoky-ness of places like that has had an awful impace on my social life. I absolutely can’t stand it. Firt of all the second hand smoke is so bad for you… but I also hated coming home and having my clothes, skin, and hair all smell like smoke and nastiness.

I am SOOOO thrilled that as of July Colorado passed the law for no smoking in bars and restaurants. SO HAPPY. I can now go out to places and actually enjoy it without being thoroughly distracted as well as disgusted. Rock on!

Monica • October 7, 2006 at 1:10 am

Actually, I’ve never wanted to smoke so badly as after they banned it in bars, earlier this year. I had smoked for about 10 years before quitting last year, and I want to smoke more now that it’s not permitted anymore. Oh well.

Kirsten • October 8, 2006 at 5:41 pm

I hate smokiness too, and am enjoying going out much more now that it’s banned in public spaces in Scotland… but on the other hand, I’d put up with it for a really good gig. (What I really hated was my hair smelling of smoke – and I have a lot of hair.)

Glad you went and the dress sounds cool – I have never been able to make dresses-over-jeans work, which is a pity as it’s a very cute style.