Weight: 214 – Pounds left to lose: 54

Just a quick update today since a friend’s visiting. The numbers went up again this week, but it’s the time of the month that happens, so it’s not too devestating. Also earlier in the week my mom gave me some Hawaiian sweet bread mix (since I have the breadmaker) that her realtor had given her after the house sold. I foolishly thought I could just cook it and save it to bring to my mom, but of course I ended up devouring half of it instead. Damn you, Hawaii! Why do we need a 50th state anyway? Take your Spam and hula dancing and sweet breads and be gone! I’ve stashed the rest in the trunk of my car so I’m not tempted to eat any more of it. Hopefully it won’t get moldy before I can deliver it to her, but if it does, oh well!

Ros • August 26, 2006 at 12:15 pm

What is Hawaillan Sweet Bread and what is so bad about it?

JJ • August 26, 2006 at 5:12 pm

Okay. You KNOW what you have to do, right?

Either the bread maker or your mother … pick one or both … and well, get rid of it/her!

I’m guessing you love your Mom. So, maybe that’s not an option.

BUT, perhaps you don’t need a break maker so that your Mom can sabotage your healthy eating!!!!

(btw … I L.O.V.E. Hawaiian sweet bread.)

PastaQueen • August 26, 2006 at 5:49 pm

Ros – I’d never heard of it before, but it’s a sweet tasting bread. If you just have one slice, I’m sure it’s not too bad for you. However when it comes to bread I always end up eating half the loaf, which is definitly bad.

JJ – Pick one? How?! It’s like choosing between two children!

JJ • August 26, 2006 at 8:05 pm

I know … I know!

Okay then, keep your Mom…

BUT get rid of the bread maker.

Me? I HAD to! There’s nothing like a nice, warm, loaf of …

nevermind … I can’t even go there!

Ros • August 26, 2006 at 8:48 pm

I solved my bread problems.. I keep it in the freezer and pop it in the toaster when I want it.. Its stopped me eating a whole loaf of bread cos I don’t want to waste the money ( student mentality is not diet friendly.)

Now a loaf of bread lasts me weeks, and somehow I enjoy it more. But breadmakers.. urgh.. don’t think u can freeze that bread. But mine makes a diddy loaf and I only let myself make one per week maximum. I just have to have bread as a meal.. not a snack as its that darn good. Anyway.. if I want bread,, I’ll have the damn bread.. Atkins lovers.. u go ahead with ur meat.. and leave me the flour and yeast!

christie • August 26, 2006 at 8:50 pm

Hawaii does offer up pineapple, mangos, and papayas… so I can’t hate it. :)

Homemade breads are the real evil at work here, not poor innocent hawaii. They are so delicious… man I want some friendship bread. :::sigh:::

Erin • August 26, 2006 at 8:57 pm

OR just lose part of your breadmaker…the mixer part..it’s amazing how must that little twisty piece matters… ;)

kathryn • August 26, 2006 at 10:16 pm

Stashing it in the boot of the car is brilliant. I might try that the next time I’m tempted to binge on something.

PastaQueen • August 26, 2006 at 10:43 pm

kathryn – It’s especially brilliant since I dropped my car off at the dealer today for service, so it’s halfway across town until at least Monday. See if I try to eat it now!

R • August 27, 2006 at 10:32 am

What if you use the breadmaker only to mix the bread, and then refrig the dough? There’s nothing like fresh bread, but maybe you can bake meal-size amounts of fresh bread with refrigerated dough?

I have a fabulous bakery between home and work – the best in the city for French bread, but good at everything. I’ve taken to buying a small roll instead of a loaf – even fat-free, it’s got a lot of calories.

kalmia • August 27, 2006 at 6:03 pm

I have the same solution as Ros — I keep all bread, bagels, and rotis in the freezer, then take out just the serving I want and microwave/toast it. If I make bread in my breadmaker, I slice it up and freeze it (although I also tend to sample way too much when it’s hot and fresh). Bread in the freezer is out of sight, out of mind. It’s not constantly tempting me; in fact, I forget that it’s even there. And it stops me from automatically reaching for a piece of bread and butter when I’m hungry.

On a general note, what I find discouraging about low-carb/low-glycemic diets is the way the weight immediately piles back on if a person transgresses even a little by eating some high-glycemic carbs. A low-carb diet seems to be the only way I can lose weight, yet I find it too restrictive to live on forever. I wish I could find some solution to this.

PastaQueen • August 27, 2006 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, ros and R and kalmia! I looked through the breadmaker recipe book today and lo and behold there’s a recipe for a 1 pound loaf of WW bread. I’d always made the 1 1/2 pound loaf. So I tried making it tody, ate two slices and then put the rest in the freezer and it worked. I didn’t pig out. Yay! So maybe I won’t have to destroy the breadmaker after all and my trunk won’t be full of bread either.

Kelly • August 28, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Yeah, this probably isn’t so good from one person who wants to lose weight to another, but can I get the recipe? I LOVE Hawaiian bread. My friend’s husband (who was from Hawaii) used to make French toast with it. Heavenly!

PastaQueen • August 28, 2006 at 10:46 pm

Kelly – Yeah, I guess that’s like asking someone in AA where a good bar is, huh? :) Actually, it was a box mix. I just added water. My mom’s realtor gave it to her when the house sold as a blessing on her new place. It’s from that quote from It’s a Wonderful Life, “Bread – that this house may never know hunger. Salt – that life may always have flavor. Wine – that joy and prosperity may reign forever.”

Josie • August 30, 2006 at 11:57 am

Um…let’s not forget that the 50th state has also blessed you all with the gift of poi! I’m sure you just accidentally overlooked a shout out to the purple paste!

Kari • March 15, 2007 at 12:03 pm

I lurve Hawaiian sweet bread, especially slathered with butter. I haven’t had it in a looong time, since I’m trying to lose weight and all. But now I’m jonesing for it! And I know the store across the street sells it! I will try hard to resist.