Weight: 212 – Pounds left to lose: 52

Holding steady at 212 this week. I’m a bit surprised I didn’t gain because it’s the time of the month for that to happen. It’s also been one of those weeks when I’ve had to forcibly drag my ass onto the Pilates mat and out onto the trail. I keep trying to talk myself out of exercising, but I guess my salesmanship skills sucks since I’ve been keeping it up for the most part. It’s been tough though. Making yourself do things you don’t want to do seems to be a very valuable life skill. I had the same experience at work yesterday where I had to work on a project that was as fun as chipping out an infected tooth with an ice skate blade, ala Tom Hanks in Castaway.There are some weeks when I come home and feel all hyped up and can’t wait to go walking or roll around on my Pilates mat. It’s best to savor those weeks because weeks like this tend to outnumber them.

Coco • August 5, 2006 at 2:03 pm

Ya see? Now THAT’s why you inspire me; if exercise were always a “whoopy!” kinda thing, I wouldn’t be fat. But ‘forcibly dragging your ass?’ Out onto a Pilates mat, for God’s sake . . . that’s tough, and that accounts for your amazing success. Kudos! ;)

Coco • August 5, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Delayed Gratification, BTW — That’s definitely THE most invaluable life skill, “making yourself do things you don’t want to do.” Or at least in the top five, for sure. You’ve personified that. Me? I’m working on it!(Have you read Scott Peck’s *The Road Less Traveled*? Good stuff)

Jess • August 5, 2006 at 4:31 pm

Woo hoo! Your Blog caught my eye because I have recently lost half of me. Like you, I still have more to go. It is so weird when you have lost more weight than you weigh…

I keep thinking about the “old” me, and how she’s like the current me ridding piggy-back on myself… No wonder my knees are so bad!

I love your site! But of course you’d have a kick ass site, it’s your talent!

Cheers,

Jess

Liz • August 5, 2006 at 5:15 pm

Hang in there! I love your website – I just came across is last night. Like you I am dieting web developer – I’m 211 at 5’8″ and I started 10 days ago. Lost 6lbs and 3″ off my waist. I downloaded your flash program – thanks for that! I know flash but I’ve been too lazy to take my pictures yet. I have enough “before” pictures of myself already. Time for some “Afters”!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

Liz

Amy • August 5, 2006 at 7:51 pm

I think you’re doing great. You’re so right, remember those weeks when it seems easier to do the exercise. I agree with you..some days are soo much more easier than others. Hang in there, you are doing great!

Amy

K • August 6, 2006 at 12:29 pm

“Making yourself do things you don’t want to do seems to be a very valuable life skill.”

So true.

Hey there. Lots of interesting entries recently, on which I haven’t commented because I’ve been on holiday with no internet connection…

I would love one of those calorie-counting gizmos too, although it has to be admitted, when I count calories I have a slight tendency to eat nutritionally worthless things because I still have enough calories left to get away with it. Whereas if I’m not counting, I’m more mindful of nutrition.

I am one of those Disappearing Bloggers, I know. But I didn’t gain any weight (unless I did while I was on holiday, and if I did it’s very unfair because I did lots of strenuous exercise). I did get married, buy a house and decorate it within a very short space of time, though. Normal service resumes soon. I hope.

Shrinkingmom • August 6, 2006 at 3:58 pm

I love your blog. I also linked to it on my blog (The Amazing Shrinking Mom)at ClubMom.com. :)

Jennah • August 6, 2006 at 9:26 pm

You probably already realized this when you wrote it, but when I read, “I tried to talk myself out of exercise…” I thought a far cry from where you started when you probably had to talk yourself INTO exercise. Hehehe. Great job hon. I bow to the Queen. :)

Karina • August 6, 2006 at 11:36 pm

I have now finished reading you entire blog and just wanted to say that you are an inspiration to me. I am starting out on my weight loss journey and over the last few weeks when I wanted to quit your blog has keep me going.

Thanks !!!

little miss ess • August 7, 2006 at 10:27 am

I just cannot make myself exercise these days. I had been really doing so well, and consistently, and now. Feh. I’m still losing, but it’s because of counting calories. But I feel guilty about the not exercising. Maybe I should simplify and walk/do pilates/yoga tapes at home for a little while, and that might get me motivated to go back to the gym?

PastaQueen • August 7, 2006 at 11:11 am

little miss ess – I read something last month that said exercise habits like going to the gym are harder to sustain in the long run because they are pure exercise. Lifestyle activities, like playing tennis with friends, gardening, etc. are less difficult to maintain because they have other benefits besides just the exercise. I know I like walking out among nature better than I like staring at the wall while I’m on the treadmill. So if going to the gym has gotten boring or is a chore, maybe you need to find something else you can fit into your life. Which is not necessarily an easy thing to do either. Maybe you could try balancing a new activity with less gym time? I’ve been getting a little bored with Pilates and I think it’s because I’ve been doing the same DVD for too long. Switching things up can help maintain your interest.

Mark • August 7, 2006 at 12:13 pm

Better even than recreational lifestyle activities are everyday necessity lifestyle activities, like walking to the market and carrying your groceries home (only what you’ll eat in the next couple of days), walking to work or parking far from work, living on an upper floor in a building without an escalator, etc. “Convenience” is the enemy of fitness.

iFitandHealthy • August 7, 2006 at 3:21 pm

When it comes to weight loss, doing things you don’t want to do, is what separates you from those that failed. You are a living proof, that in a “game” of losing (weight), you’re a real winner.

DKN • August 7, 2006 at 4:44 pm

I’m going to start reading your blog. I’m trying to lose weight (40 lbs) but am seriously struggling with getting to the gym enough. So I need to start thinking about what you said with forcing yourself to do something you don’t want to do. You are correct, it’s totally a life skill. That’s one I have yet to master. And for me that’s going to the gym and cutting out unnecessary carbs like beer.

Keep up your good work!