Weight: 228 – Pounds left to lose: 68

Ouch! I think I prefer the plateau to going back up the mountain. Actually, as strange as this might sound, I’m not that disturbed by the sudden stall-out of my weight loss. I’d felt a little guilty that it had been so easy going for so long, especially when I read so frequently on other people’s blogs about their struggles. Up until these last couple months I was pretty much losing every single week, with only the occasional bounce back up. So it’s about time I hit a rough patch. We all need a little trauma, right? It builds character.

The other reason I’m not upset is that my measurements have not increased. I think I may have actually lost an inch or two, though I can’t be sure since I always seem to get a different result even when I measure myself twice in a row.

I did some reading about weight loss plateaus and the advice that seemed best for my situation was to mix up my eating and exercising. I’ll admit, I’ve been in a food rut lately. I haven’t tried a new recipe for months. But I surfed some message boards and have picked out some new recipes to try which don’t involve any advanced chopping skills or involve ingredients or kitchen appliances that I’ve never heard of.

As for exercise, I’m going to be moving in a month and my new apartment complex actually has a fitness room, so I’ll get to try out an elliptical machine for the first time. It’s also right next to a trail that runs through my city, so I’ll get to go walking, running, and maybe even biking outside instead of on a treadmill. Maybe this will help take some of the drudgery out of exercising. I suppose moving all the heavy objects to my new second floor place will count as a new form of exercise too.

Hopefully these changes will help. The other piece of advice I saw was to just go out and eat whatever you wanted for a day to shock your body. I don’t know if that will actually help. However, I do have to go to a wedding in a week and I was probably going to pig out anyway, so at least now I have a good excuse!

Marla • May 13, 2006 at 7:42 pm

I feel your pain! I do know, though, that pounds-lost and size-lost sometimes do a leapfrogging act, you have one for a while, then the other, not always both at one time.

There is definitely a school of thought that recommends taking a break from dieting in order to restimulate the metabolism. There are different opinions about when and how often the breaks should be, of course. I had some luck with a ‘three weeks on, four days off’ schedule. Hmm, maybe I should try that again…

It can be a risky thing if you have issues with binge eating, you have to be careful the breaks don’t trigger uncontrolled overeating. I think if you feel comfortable with being able to start and stop a specific eating plan at will, then why not try it?

Dee • May 13, 2006 at 9:46 pm

dang! I know what you mean about the whole plateau vs gain – heh bloody perspective!

I read about the eating fatty stuff and shocking your body, I’m pretty sure I’ve tried that “theory” unofficially a few times heh, for me – it does work, after a few weeks of being great, a slip actually makes me lose more. Weird I KNOW.

There’s a great SB Bored, which you’re probably aware of but here if you don’t know it http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=a309daf15151d37f0fd38ba3bb176c5c

It has like a gazillion recipes and all the ones I’ve tried have been SO GREAT. I think changing it up will do wonders for your body (and your mind heh it’s always good to have a bit of a change – says someone who loves routine …oy vey)

Wait, is this the wedding you were talking about posts ago with what you’d wear?! geez time fliess!! have fun at it!!! Did you end up getting something great? How’d I miss all this? bleh.

Btw you know ever since reading your post about the cartoons I’ve been reliving my 80s childhood haha Thanks

lynn • May 14, 2006 at 11:26 am

Hey, Ellipticals are actually fun.

I enjoy them, I hope you do to. Then again I don’t regular use them but enjoy the feeling of my calves and thighs get when I use one.

louann • May 14, 2006 at 2:39 pm

wow you have done what most people can only dream of , I have lost 55 lbs since feb 11 2006 I still need another 55 to lose,i joined a gym and curves, curves hours are to off for me.

so i just do the gym now.

also slimfast lol.

Chris • May 14, 2006 at 7:35 pm

I enjoy the elliptical as well. The only thing that annoys me about them is my feet fall asleep in them after about 20 minutes.

Keep at it, you’re doing amazing!

Jester • May 15, 2006 at 11:26 am

Chris – I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one whose feet fall asleep. Doesn’t happen all the time, but I find it very strange.

Echoing others who posted here – the elliptical is a good cardiovascular workout. I hate exercise, but I can say that I usually enjoy getting on the machine and tuning out the world.

Fat Bitch • May 18, 2006 at 4:36 pm

Hi PQ:

I wish I only had 68 pounds left to lose. Congratulations!!!!!! they will come off before you know it.

It’s wonderful for you that your new place will have a fitness room!!!!! That way you don’t have an excuse to travel too far to exercise. ;)

We’re so lucky to have the internet to help us lose weight. All of this information at our fingertips! Of course it goes without saying that these blogs are a lifesaver too. HUG Keep going. You’re doing fine. :)

melanie • May 19, 2006 at 12:18 am

ellipticals are awesome… all the great benefits of running, none of the joint-pain problems.

Kari • March 12, 2007 at 7:39 pm

Out of curiosity, do you recall what/where you read the info about plateaus? I feel like I’ve been in the midst of one for quite some time now. I’m probably in a food and exercise rut, though, and I’m not sure how to get myself out of it. I don’t like to cook, so that really limits my options for food. And I get comfortable in shopping for and eating the foods that I do now. I also find that if I divert from my regimen, I will go horribly off track. I feel like anything will derail me, so I try to operate in a certain comfort zone. I also do the same sorts of exercise, as my gym is fairly small and limited. The good thing is that the gym is at my workplace, and there’s really no excuse for me to NOT hit the gym. If I had to go to a gym near work or home, I have a feeling I wouldn’t go as often as I do now. Ack! I’m paralyzed by my own routines! Geesh, I had no idea I had such a control issue!

suzanne • September 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I have been on a plateau for about a month now and even though I lost 65 lbs so far I have more to go…and this stall in the downward plunge is not helping.

I have added more exercise and switched up the eating plan…sometimes to add in a day off of eating right or to make sure I was eating right or even eating enough so my body wasn’t getting confused and holding onto the weight.

Still nothing.