Walking the walk

I have become that which I used to hate – a fast walker.

When I was apartment hunting yesterday, I drug my mom along to have another set of eyes in case I missed anything like leaky pipes or holes in the walls. I’m not too observant about that sort of stuff. I’m the kind of person who will open the refrigerator, ask where the cheese is, only to have someone point out that it’s right in front of my nose. My nose isn’t even that big, so I can’t claim that it obstructs my view.

We got out of the car and I was halfway to the rental office when I turned around to see my mom was lagging at least 2 or 3 yards behind me. Mom weighs about 20 pounds more than me and is 30 years older. I then had flashbacks to every time I would be walking with a skinny person and get pissed because they were walking fast enough to win the Iron Man triathlon. It was one of the most annoying things about being a fat person. Everyone else seemed to walk as fast as roadrunners on speed and think absolutely nothing of it while I’d be huffing and puffing just to keep half their pace. I was the semi-truck straining to pull my load uphill and they were the Volkswagon Bug passing me carelessly on the left.

But all those hours on the treadmill must have changed my pace, or elves have been stretching my legs out in my sleep, because I realized now I’m the one zipping around at the speed of light. I noticed it again when I was walking around the mall yesterday and passing people. I am a fast walker! Just chalk this up as realization number 57 about the multiple ways my life is changing as I lose weight.

Liza • May 1, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Not to deter from your fantastic progress, but this happens when I’m with my parents and I’m still VERY fat. I think it comes from living in a city. My parents are of average weight, but live in the suburbs and drive EVERYWHERE, so walking three blocks for them is a big ordeal. Heh.

kathryn • May 1, 2006 at 4:22 pm

I’ve always walked fast – for me it’s more an impatience thing than fitness. It’s so frustrating walking with people who are slow and as for people who get in my way….grrrr!

K • May 1, 2006 at 5:29 pm

Well, the fast-walking thing has happened to me too – must be more to do with fitness than weight in my case. Though my sister (who was always the fast walker in whose wake I would trail hopelessly) says it’s happened since I started going out with Jon. There’s something in this. I’m 5’5 with short legs; he’s 6’2 with long legs. Somebody had to make an accommodation.

Marly • May 1, 2006 at 6:07 pm

I power walk without even meaning to, and my friends get mad at me when I leave them in my wake. In my defense, I have somewhere to go and somewhere to be, I don’t want loll about, stumping along.

Josie • May 1, 2006 at 10:00 pm

I think regardless of your mom’s age and size, if she used to keep pace with you, and now she doesn’t- you’re probably are moving a little quicker! I’m glad you gave yourself credit for this. Every little thing you notice should be a thrill because it’s so hard earned.

We all talk about the ‘big’ moments in our lives- when we get to the top of the stairs without pausing, being able to fit into a smaller size, etc. But these little accomplishments matter too.

Marla • May 2, 2006 at 6:36 am

Your poor mom! You are such a bad daughter, leaving her in the dust like that! :-)

I had the same thing happen walking with MIL and SIL – I’ve never been all that fast a walker, no matter what weight (I think it has something to do with being 5’3″ and having 12″ legs…) but I couldn’t believe how sloooooooowly they walked! I literally couldn’t keep my balance moving at that speed.

Anyway congrats on the progress!

Suey • May 2, 2006 at 11:10 pm

I suck at grammar, so is ‘drug’ really the past tense of ‘drag’? When I read that sentence where you “drug (your) mom along”, I really thought you had, you know…’drug’ (or rather drugged) your mom. Then I thought that it must’ve been really difficult for you to ask your mom to come along…

Anyway, yay for zipping around at the speed of light :]