Body Update – The Thighs, They Are A-Changin’

I am currently in love with my collarbones. I frequently find myself sitting at the computer tapping them with my fingers like I’m playing an xylophone. Sadly, I have not been able to chime out “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” just a low thumping sound.

Also, my thighs are definitely shrinking. I’m a bit amazed by how thin my legs look when I’m sitting on the edge of a seat where they dangle down and not when the fat is smushed up against the sofa cushions. Not to say they are thin, but they used to be gigantic Redwoods and are now just mighty Oaks. I also have a waist now, which is totally bitchin’. I may not have breasts, but I am grateful for my pear-shaped figure.

My wristwatch is starting to get loose again, but I’m not quite ready to go down another notch. However, when I do it will bring me down a total of five notches from where I began. I tried on some old rings the other day and ones that used to fit my ring finger now only fit my thumb. Good thing I’m not engaged or married because there would be some serious resizing needing to be done..

On the negative side, I’m beginning to notice looseness in my skin. Though the looseness itself is not as bad as the strange crinkling texture that appears at certain angles to gravity. Yesterday, I was leaning over to pick up something before my shower and I noticed that all my faded stretch mark stripes on my belly puckered up like crushed velvet. It was… er…unappealing, to say the least. Screw you, gravity! Though I have to wonder if things would look better or worse at zero gravity.

The skin looseness is odd too. Previously, my body was like a Ziplock bag completely filled with water. It was cushy, but firm. Now it’s like someone let 1/3 of the water out of the bag so it’s still cushy, but it’s less compact and flops around more easily.

John • May 3, 2006 at 12:00 am

Doesn’t the hanging skin issue just suck? About 6 months ago, 19 years after losing 100 pounds, I finally had a tummy tuck to take care of mine. Stretch marks I don’t mind, but that skin…

amyt • May 3, 2006 at 7:35 am

the partially emptied ziplock is a perfect analogy. when i was fatter i always thought “well, atleast it’s firm fat” but now it ripples like skipping stones on a pond. i have to wonder if progress is the right word.

Gretchen • May 3, 2006 at 7:51 am

Did you ever see that episode of The Simpsons where they start Homer’s fat jiggling and it just doesn’t stop. That’s how I feel about my stupid skin, it’s deflated and jiggles a lot!

It makes you feel like Dolly Parton my not be so insane after all. She says if it bags, sags, or drags, she fixes it.

Debbi • May 3, 2006 at 7:53 am

I have that crinkly skin texture issue, as well, but I think [hope!] I’m the only one who notices it. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s related more to the reduced amount of fat I’m eating, rather than to the amount of weight I’ve lost.

BethK • May 3, 2006 at 9:44 am

I am totally smitten with my collar bones, but my first love will always be the return of my jaw line. The day I realized my face and my neck were no longer a single unit was pure magic.

My understanding about the skin thing is that it comes down to age and genetics. You have the youth, maybe the genes be the type to eventually bounce back. At my age, with my very fair dry skin; I’ve resigned myself to a tummy tuck.

scone • May 3, 2006 at 10:03 am

It’s a bummer, but there are strategies that help. Weight training, for one. Lots of water, and cut way back on the salt, even things like pickles and sliced lunch meat. A lot of veggies, especially asparagus, which has a natural diuretic effect. The anti-oxidants in fruits and veggies are crucial. Moisturizer doesn’t make the crinkly texture go away, but it protects the skin while it’s shrinking and healing, so that gives a better chance. And finally, you have to be patient. My skin is still changing, even a couple of years after the weight loss. Good luck.

Nicole • May 4, 2006 at 9:02 am

I know about the skin flab….still waiting for collarbones and loose watches!

Tonibaby • May 4, 2006 at 9:36 am

This is one issue that scares the crap outta me! Especially since I don’t think that a tummy tuck is anywhere in my financial future :(

Joie • May 5, 2006 at 11:19 am

I so get the skin thing!

Not sure if I liked my firm chunky body better than this thinner one with lose skin….I think I did…

Then I am borderline 50 and for me I’m sure some of it must be the aging process.

So far the skin thing has been hard to accept with any sort of grace…

M, the fat girl • May 5, 2006 at 3:32 pm

Oh, man, the loose skin, for real. My arms are the major sufferers. At this point they’re way disproportionate to the rest of my torso. Sweaters that fit in the torso don’t fit around my upper arms, which hang like—well, exactly, like deflated bags.

I consider plastic surgery on a regular basis.

kd • May 6, 2006 at 4:11 am

That’s so funny- I touch my collarbones all the time, too! I remember the first picture I saw of myself in which I could see my collarbones jutting out a bit; pure heaven!

The loose skin is tricky. I’ve been losing (regaining, and losing again) about 40 pounds over the last 3 years. I had some stretch marks to begin with, but everytime i’ve gained back even up to 5 lbs, I end up getting lots more stretch marks. It sucks, but it’s just the way it is, so I try not to worry about it too much.