Weight: 224 – Pounds left to lose: 64

I have basically resolved myself to the fact that I lose all my weight for the month in one week and then plateau for the other 3 weeks, at least as far as the scale is concerned. So this is the week this month that I get to lose weight. Yippee! I’m down five pounds.

I’m happy because this week was a little screwy. We had the carpets professionally cleaned on Thursday, so I had nowhere to do my Pilates and the treadmill was up on plastic blocks, so I couldn’t walk either. Well, I guess I could have left the house and walked, but I just only thought of that now as I was typing because the obvious sometimes escapes me. Also, me, leave the house? I’d have to give up my official “Hermits of America” card.

Then yesterday, I drove to Kokomo (Indiana, not the one in the Beach Boys song) to see my friend present at a women’s studies conference. I was invited to their official luncheon and was reminded of why everyone in America is so fat. There wasn’t a very good food selection and I basically had to go with the carbilicious ziti if I wanted to eat anything substantial besides the side salad.

However, I tried not to freak out about it because I hate picky eaters and would loathe to become one. I also don’t want to be someone who feels guilty whenever they eat something that tastes good. There’s got to be some middle ground here. I did indulge in the scrumptious frosted brownie that was served at everyone’s plate since I figured this counted as a special occasion. I was in a different city and everything! I even took the day off for work, so it’s practically a vacation!

The one thing I was curious about was why some people ate their brownies and others didn’t. I wondered how gender might play into it since this was a women’s studies conference and it’s basically the law that you have to wonder how gender affects everything while you’re at one of these things. It borders on gender paranoia.

Were some of the women generally not hungry for dessert? Were they watching their weight? If they were males of the same size or level of fatness/fitness would they have eaten the brownie? Previously, I might have had some concern eating a big old brownie in front of a group of strangers because I wouldn’t want to fulfill the stereotype of the fat girl with a bottomless stomach. However, I feel so much more comfortable with myself lately that I honestly didn’t give a shit what they thought and just enjoyed the damn thing. It was delicious.

scone • April 8, 2006 at 5:45 pm

Some people are diabetic, so eating the brownie might mean taking a blood sample at the table, and/or adjusting the insulin, etc. My late Auntie Bettie had to do that, and sometimes it was just less hassle to forego the brownie.

As for me, that brownie would be an instant ticket to a nasty migraine, via the chocolate. Searing pain and nausea doesn’t go with a festive outing…

PastaQueen • April 8, 2006 at 11:04 pm

You know, I actually did get a headache later that day. I assumed it was from hanging out with my friend on her smoke breaks, but I guess the brownie didn’t help either.

hopefulloser • April 9, 2006 at 12:10 pm

I’m don’t typically like desserts. I prefer extra french fries instead. I wish it was custom to serve potatoe chips or cheetos for dessert.

You’re kicking butt lady. You’ve lost 148 pounds or so! That’s absolutely amazing.

...jus me • April 10, 2006 at 3:23 am

Wow, Congrats on the five pounds…for as much as you have lost, five pounds is great for a month! Kinda cool on the weight loss week, huh?

I would have eaten the brownie too if it was brought to my plate. I probably would not have got up to get it tho! That would require making a consious decision to eat it! Boy, if it is within my reach, it is history!

I wish that when we go out to dinner, that I could make myself ask to have half of my food put in a to go box. Then I would just have to go to bed early with hubby so that I don’t drag it out for a late night snack! lol!

I really do tend to sabotage myself!

Kirsten • April 10, 2006 at 3:57 am

I would have got up to get the brownie. The only way I can resist that kind of thing is to have to pay money for it. (My brother made a cake the other day that was basically a very large squashy brownie. Evil brother. Fortunately, it was mostly gone by the time I got there.)

little miss ess • April 10, 2006 at 9:11 am

Congrats on the loss!

And you know, even before I started South Beach, I doubt I would have eaten the brownie if it was served after lunch. Even when I go out to eat dinner, I won’t get dessert. I might have a taste of someone else’s if they offer, but I don’t order my own. And it’s not from some Chicks shouldn’t eat thing, but from the simple fact that I am usually already full before dessert, and I absolutely won’t keep going if I am full, because I know how miserable that overfull feeling is.

If I’m going to have something like that, I’d rather have it by itself, you know, in the afternoon with some coffee. It seems like I appreciate it better and enjoy it more when I do that.

Amyt • April 10, 2006 at 11:47 am

“fear of group showering” you crack me up!

Bigg Blue Lue • April 13, 2006 at 6:02 pm

What a wonderful accomplishment — congratulations on the loss, and here’s to many more….

Forthright Fattie • February 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I’m reading through the archives and have been avoiding commenting because the entries are years old, but I had to chime in here. Believe it or not, I do not like brownies. Period. I’m generally a salty person rather than sweet, but put it in front of me and I’ll eat it. Except for brownies. Truly bizarre.

In other news, greatly enjoying the read–thanks for putting it all out there!

Lauren • April 12, 2011 at 11:46 am

You probably never read these comments anymore seeing as it’s years after the fact, but I will throw this out there anyway, for anyone who might be interested:

You say you lose 5 or 6 lbs in one week then plateau the other three. I don’t think this is the case. It’s most likely your scale.

I had a digital scale once that I have since gotten rid of. Why? Because I found out that the scale caches weight. You being a programmer should know what this means, but I’ll extrapolate.

You see, I would weigh myself every day in the beginning. And I noticed a weird thing happening: I would stay EXACTLY THE SAME weight for the whole week… until I weighed in on Sunday and BAM I dropped 3 lbs. Weird huh? Well, like you I attributed it to some kind of mystic phenomenon. Water weight, whatever.

But then I started weighing myself once a week. And I would notice I would go a week or two and be the same, then BAM drop 5 lbs.

This got me thinking that maybe it’s not ME, so I did some research. And sure enough, the scale I had cached weight, which meant it “remembered” the last weight and would NOT change unless there was a significant difference, i.e., 2, 3 or sometimes even more pounds.

So, if you are still using that crappy scale I suggest getting a new one and making sure it does not cache. It’s fine for people maintaining (so maybe it’s fine for you now) because you don’t care if you fluctuate 1 or 2 lbs. But for someone losing it can be very confusing and frustrating to see the same number for a couple weeks then miraculously drop 5 lbs then stay the same, etc.

Hope that helped clear some confusion.