Clothing History

I wish spring would hurry up and get here already. Alas, I live in Indiana, the state where you wake up on the first day of spring to a snow-covered lawn. Flowers and birdies aside, I’m looking forward to the change of seasons so I can stop wearing the winter wardrobe that is mostly too big for me. Nothing’s falling off my shoulders or flashing my tits yet, but things are definitely getting baggy. But I’m not going to spend money on something new to wear just for the next week or so that won’t fit next fall. So I wait for spring and the promise of a new wardrobe.

In a sad/happy development, I am almost out of skinny clothes. I had a couple of boxes in my closet of old clothes that fit in college and high school. For the most part I can wear everything, or at least get it over my head and on my body, though there are still a couple shirts that are too short and/or ride up. While it’s very cool that I can basically fit in this stuff now, I’m a bit sad that I have no more skinny clothes to someday try on and get to think “Oh wow, I haven’t worn this since Bill Gates was poor!” Okay, maybe not that long ago.

This is mostly due to the fact that anything smaller would have been worn in middle school, a time when my wardrobe consisted mostly of perfect attendance T-shirts. It’s rather amazing how every event you participate in as a child comes with its own commemoratory T-shirt. I think you could write the biography of the first 13 years of my life just by reading all those T-shirts. Girl scouts. Summer camp. Math-letes.

The only thing I have left that is actually, genuinely too small to wear is a Tori Amos baby doll T-Shirt that I bought in some wave of self-delusion or euphoria that accompanies such concert events. Maybe they put something in the water to convince me to buy something obviously too small for me. It’s a size Large, but when I tried putting it on I’m convinced it’s more like a medium. I guess this will be my goal shirt and when I can fit in it I really will be out of dream clothing. Only new stuff after that!

ic • March 29, 2006 at 9:30 am

Think of all the new smaller size clothes that you will be able to fit into. The old clothes you have in boxes are out of style by now so just give them to good will. Go on a shopping spree and indulge you deserve it. You only live once so don’t think of it as wasting money on clothes that will only fit a couple of months. Think of it as spending money on somehting you worked so hard for and earned. There is always money to be made but you can’t take back the time you are living in right now. Enjoy, buy some new stylish and sexy clothes and have fun this spring and summer!!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!:-)

scone • March 29, 2006 at 10:43 am

I can definitely second the “you deserve it” thought, but the process can get a little “spendy” as we say here in Portland (Oregon, not that other one). When I was coming down, I went from size 24 to size 12 in about 18 months, always thinking, “well, this is it, this is going to be my goal size.” But no. And when I did pass through a size, I didn’t want to wear that stuff any more, so I ended up with a lot of clothes that were too big for me.

If I had it to do over again, I’d head out to the nicer vintage charity shops. That way I’d still get “new” stuff, and recycle my “old” stuff. I’d spend less, get a fashion thrill, support a worthy cause, and help save the planet.

In fact, I’m now hooked on vintage. But then we have a lot of cool recycled stuff out here in The People’s Republic of Ecotopia. ;)

Amyt • March 29, 2006 at 1:08 pm

atleast it’s yardsale season soon, you can make come bucks off the old stuff to buy new hot outfits with.

PastaQueen • March 29, 2006 at 2:01 pm

Now that I think about it, what I really need is that shrink ray from “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.” Then I could just zap all my clothes down a size.

Amyt • March 30, 2006 at 8:17 am

i have a washing machine that will do that for you. no really, the thing came with an instructional video and i didn’t watch it. and then i shrunk EVERY ITEM OF CLOTHING I OWNED. beyond embarrassing.

Amanda • March 31, 2006 at 12:25 pm

I love your blog! I started reading weight loss blogs when one was linked in the Washington Post a few weeks back. I have read tons, but I think yours is my favorite. Ironically, the thing that made me comment though is that you are from Indiana. I am originally from a small town in NE Indiana, so I understand the weather thing! Congratulations on what you’ve done so far, and good luck!