Weight: 236 – Pounds left to lose: 76

What a pretty number to wake up to this morning! Two times three is six. 236. I love numbers like that. I’ll probably bounce up a pound or two next week just with water weight, but I’ll take what I can get.

Now I’m off to paint my bedroom. Bleh. We’re putting our house up for sale in a month, right as the housing market is falling. Yay, great timing! The sight of these walls are not going to bump up the asking price.

Looking at that photo you might think, “Well, she’s obviously halfway done.” No. This is what my bedroom walls have looked like for the past year and a half. There used to be a nice gray patterned wallpaper on the top half of the walls with the grey part of the wall showing on the bottom half. My brother, who lived in the room before me, decided he didn’t like this perfectly lovely wallpaper and tore it all down to reveal that the wall wasn’t painted grey all the way up. He decided he liked this avant-garde look and just left it. He’s an architect. He has a weird aesthetic.

I didn’t like the walls, but they didn’t annoy me enough to actually go to the trouble of painting them. When we first moved into this house I got a bedroom with crazy pink and white striped wallpaper that nearly drove me insane. The contrast between the dark pink and the white was a visual assault on my senses. It looked like the walls were vibrating. Seriously, they should wallpaper interrogation rooms with that stuff. That was enough to get me to paint the walls.

Now I’m basically painting my room for whoever buys the house. It is rather ridiculous to know we’re making this place all nice and pretty just when we’re not going to live here anymore. At least painting will be good for my arms. Plus, I now have plenty of old, badly-fitting clothes to paint in.

kathryn • February 11, 2006 at 4:10 pm

When I sold my flat a few years ago I did heaps to pretty it up for sale. It seems stupid cos the new owners prolly moved in and repainted it to suit themselves. But the real estate agent reckoned we added heaps of value to the place so it was worth it for a weekend of hard labour and a few tins of pain.

zara • February 11, 2006 at 7:29 pm

I love the litter box in the corner…gives the photo a certain je ne sais quoi. heh!

And kathryn…I love the Freudian slip in your comment…”few tins of pain”. Lol!

Peg • February 12, 2006 at 9:33 am

When we sold our house last year, we painted the whole house with two coats of white primer. It made the house seem very big and bright (two things that it really wasn’t) and it was ready for whoever bought to paint without having to do any patching, sanding, etc. Good luck, I know how hard it is getting it ready!

hilly • February 12, 2006 at 2:59 pm

What in the world? Okay this whole time I have known you and read your blog, I realized that you and I keep weighing like the same thing and are in the same place, so I always relate exactly to where you are but I just noticed your start weight and OMG you so rock!!!!!!! I am so in awe of you; I thought that I was a badass for starting at 339 but you win, sistah! Ok, I am a dork cause this has nothing to do with walls, but yanno…I don’t do anything crafty so I thought I would just comment on your rocking ways!

Kirsten • February 13, 2006 at 4:38 am

The Royal Shakespeare Theatre used to have walls like that in the auditorium, on purpose (only they were dark purple and grey). They did look rather as if the workmen needed a longer ladder and didn’t have one.

I know what it is to have an architect in the family – my sister is one. We all need to watch what we say about modern buildings just in case… Her room looks perfectly normal though, if rather full of tiny models of buildings.

Stacy • August 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Reading through your archives (again)…I LOVE those kinds of numbers too!