Feline Observation

I wonder if my cat has noticed that I’ve lost weight. Yes, I have officially run out of interesting weight-loss topics to blog about. We have now moved on to “random” and “inane.”

It will come as no surprise that fat people make good cushions. I spent many a long car trip as a child cuddled up against my mother’s chubby midsection. So when my cat jumps up on his human bed and starts kneading my body, does he notice that there is a lot less to feel up than there was a year ago? Ow! Watch the nipple!

I have no idea what the mental capacity of a cat is or how well they are able to compare current situations with past events. My cat was a stray for the first 8 months of his life and I sometimes wonder what he remembers of that early time in his life. Where did he come from? Where did he sleep? What did he eat? Actually, he is very manipulative and I’m sure he was able to get food from some friendly humans with a carefully timed head butt and a perfectly, pitiful meow.

There’s no doubt he can remember when feeding time is or how to get my attention – sitting his butt down between me and my keyboard. So I don’t think it’s too absurd to think he may have noticed I am getting slightly less cushy. Of course, being a cat, he probably wouldn’t mention it even if he did notice. Unless, of course, he was trying to weasel a treat out of me with compliments.

hilly • February 3, 2006 at 12:44 pm

Oh the cat will find something ;).

My cat finds any squishy area he can to knead….LOL.

Amy • February 3, 2006 at 4:14 pm

It might be the same as it is with some people. Since the cat sees you every day, he probably hasn’t noticed the gradual change. If he hadn’t seen you for a couple of months, he might have thought, “Wow, has she lost weight!”

I’ve noticed with my cat, her long term memory is not the greatest. She’ll remember things over a period of a few months, but more than that, it’s completley new to her.

Mar!a • February 4, 2006 at 8:52 am

“I have no idea what the mental capacity of a cat is..” Heh. Judging from my cats, about that of a turnip.

kathryn • February 5, 2006 at 12:09 am

Ha, I have a 19 yo son and he hasn’t noticed I’ve lost weight! I’d bet good money on your cat noticing before he does.

Jester • February 6, 2006 at 2:36 pm

Thank you, your highness! I’m glad I’m not the only one who wonders such things about her cats!!

When I sleep on my side, my ‘little’ boy (about 18 lbs.) likes to sleep on top of me, from my hip to my shoulder. Every day, it gets to be a little bit more of a balancing act as I lose weight. He has to be thinking, “Wasn’t this a little easier a month ago????”

Jester

scfrogprincess • December 24, 2008 at 12:42 am

I am not sure what they think about our weight changes, but I know the first time I got my hair cut short my cat freaked out! She stared at me like I was a stranger, but she knew who I was in the dark when it was time to find a perch to sleep on!