Breakfast

Confession: I haven’t been eating breakfast. For months. I might cook up an omelet on the weekends, but during the work week I’ve been skipping eating in the morning in favor of more minutes spent drooling on my pillow. I know this is the cardinal sin of dieting/lifestyle changing (pick your favorite terminology). Most successful weight losers eat breakfast. I instead have been snacking on pistachios and cheese sticks until lunch.

I’m mending my ways. Last night I made an omelet and stuck it in the fridge for today and ate it at work. Wow, it made such a difference! Usually I get hungry right around 12, but today I was full until 1 and even then I only felt the need for a yogurt. This breakfast thing is a good idea. The trick is that I have to make the food beforehand because my love for sleeping is deeper than the REM cycle.

There is almost nothing I won’t do to squeeze out one more minute of sleep in the morning. I take showers at night. I stopped wearing contacts because those two minutes it took putting them in was just too much. There was even a year in middle school where I would actually sleep in the clothes I planned on wearing the next day. I know, I was a total freak, not to mention a fashion disaster! But that’s what happens when they make you catch the bus before the sun has even risen.

I think I might just start cooking a couple omelets on the weekend for the rest of the week. Just go on an egg-breaking rampage and get it all done at once.

truhope • December 19, 2005 at 2:21 pm

I mixed the ingredients for a quiche (really the same as an omelet) and poured them into muffin tins. Bake for 35 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. These can be stored in the fridge and just heated in the microwave – so easy!

PastaQueen • December 19, 2005 at 3:13 pm

Hmmm, that sounds promising. I’ll have to give it a try.

Dee • December 19, 2005 at 5:44 pm

LOL egg-breaking rampage!!! too cute. I totally agree tho, before being ‘serious’ about the whole weight loss game I hadn’t eaten breakfast in forever. I picked up the bad habit of missing it when I was 13, and I’m 24 now so that’s pretty much says it all. But you’d be surprised how great eating brekkie will do for ya heh.

As for the squeezing sleep – I was that way but now I wake up so early and when I jump up thinking I’ve had a great sleep in on the weekends it’s 7am. BLAH!

p.s. I remember sleeping in clothes for the next day being a kid too LOL here I thought I was the only one.

Kirsten • December 20, 2005 at 3:48 am

I feel the same way as you about sleep. But if I didn’t eat breakfast, I’d never wake up properly at all.

Then again, I don’t think I could be trusted with anything involving cooking at that time in the morning. Cereal doesn’t take much effort.

Ellewiz • December 20, 2005 at 6:14 am

I’m a big oatmeal fan, and I cook it in a microwave rice cooker, spoon it into a Tupperware, and take it to work. (We have a cafeteria, so ppl eating breakfast at their desks is not unusual.) You can also make a big batch ahead of time and reheat. Or you can get the serious steel-cut oats and cook them overnight in your microwave. Hope these ideas help!

hilly • December 20, 2005 at 1:19 pm

Good for you – I was about to be a nag and tell you how important breakfast is but nahhhh…you got it. I feel so much better on the days I eat breakfast and like sommeone else said, I am big on oatmeal. I can carry little packets to and from work, I can make plain oatmeal with raisins, blah blah.

Kashi Cereals are good too…mmmm.

I Can't Fit • December 20, 2005 at 1:20 pm

Newbie here and just let me say a HUGE congratulations on the 123 lb weight loss – that is like losing both Mary-Kate & Ashley…..