Notes from the Theatre

Seeing a musical tonight was so much more enjoyable than it was about 100 pounds ago last March. And the performance and the quality of my seat had nothing to do with it. Know what it was?

1) Parking for free on the street and walking a couple blocks to the theatre did not leave me panting like a marathon runner.

2) I felt no fear climbing the stairs to the third floor ladies room which had the shortest line. I walk to my fourth floor office everyday now. Third floor? I laugh at you, third floor. Ha, ha! Challenge me, please.

3) My ass actually fit in the seat without spilling over or touching the person next to me. Granted, the person next to me was an 8-year-old girl and a thin one at that. But I don’t think I would have invaded the space of an average adult either.

4) I got to wear my cute new black corduroy blazer which I got at the plus-size thrift store for one dollar. One dollar!

Sitting next to the 8-year-old girl made me remember what it was like being a child, when kitchen counters are too high and chairs are too big. The world is not sized to fit you. I’ve felt that way for a long time, for the opposite reason. Now the pendulum is swinging back to the center.

The only partially bad part of the night – eating at a Mexican restaurant for dinner was a bad idea. Everything comes wrapped in a burrito or taco shell or covered in white rice. The only thing on the menu that was South Beach Diet friendly was the Naked Chicken Taco Salad. The taco salad was naked, not the chicken, meaning it came in a regular bowl and not the tortilla shell bowl. I suppose the chicken was probably naked too, though it could have had clothes on when they killed it. I cannot say for certain.

Kirsten • October 21, 2005 at 3:33 am

Ah, but what musical did you see? And how was the performance? I know this isn’t what this site is about… but I still want to know :)

I hear you on the difficulty of finding appropriate dishes while eating out. It’s worse if you’re vegetarian, because every healthy option seems to contain chicken – which is a tiny bit awkward.

(By the way, I’m not hovering over the site obsessively clicking refresh until a new post comes up so I can be the first to comment. I think it’s timezones – it’s morning here.)

PastaQueen • October 21, 2005 at 10:00 am

I did totally forget to mention the play, didn’t I? We saw Movin’ Out which is basically a rock ballet set to Billy Joel’s music. It was really good. I don’t usually go to the ballet, but having it set to music I knew and having the dancers wearing fairly modern clothes made it very accessible to me.

You’re not? :( Well, okay then.

M, the fat girl • January 23, 2006 at 12:20 am

Okay, I hope you get comment notification, because this is an important question: “plus-size thrift store”? WHERE? I dream not only of frequenting, but also of opening such an establishment, and I would love to see one in operation. Please, please, clue me in!

PastaQueen • January 23, 2006 at 9:22 am

The plus-size thrift store is in Indianapolis and it’s called “Finders Keepers.” They have two branches in town, but I’m pretty sure they’re independently owned. I actually managed to drive by this place on my way to work for a year without seeing it. Made me feel like a big idiot. A big blind idiot. I sold my old winter coat there as well as a bridesmaid dress and made some good money.

Sten1626 • January 7, 2007 at 9:34 pm

I just don’t have much to say these days, but so it goes. Today was a total loss. I guess it doesn’t bother me.

Sten47445 • January 8, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Basically nothing noteworthy happening right now, but eh. Today was a complete loss. I haven’t been up to much recently. I’ve pretty much been doing nothing worth mentioning.