I have bones!

Sometimes I’ll be driving to work, the same route I take everyday, when I’ll think “Hey, has that building been painted?” I won’t be able to tell you what color the building was the day before, but somehow I’ll notice that it’s changed. Lately this is how I’ve felt about my body.

Like last night, I’m laying on my side in bed when I notice I can actually feel the side of my pelvic bone. I have a pelvis! Who knew? (Besides the gyno, of course). I can’t remember distinctly if I could or could not feel my pelvic bone 110 pounds ago, but I’m betting I couldn’t because this just seems different to me. Not only that, but I can also feel my ribs. Like, actually count how many I have.

A month or two ago I noticed, again while going to sleep on my side, that I can feel the bones in my kneecaps pressing against each other. Again, I didn’t specifically make note of how much padding I had in my knees and legs before I started dumping all this weight, but I’m getting the impression my legs were equivalent to a vase packed in bubble wrap.

Other changes? When I rub my chin while programming, I feel like I’ve got less skin to play with.

So yes, I do indeed have a skeletal system. It has been confirmed. I can only imagine what new things I’m going to discover about my body as I continue shrinking.

hopefulloser • October 11, 2005 at 4:34 pm

Yay, I remember re-familiarizing myself with bones I hadn’t seen in years.

I’m so happy for you!

Kirsten • October 12, 2005 at 2:58 am

Cool.

As of this week, you can sort of tell I have a ribcage without poking me. Which is new.

On the other hand, my torso wasn’t too bad to start with, and my thighs are still well and truly bubble-wrapped (I certainly can’t feel my kneecaps touching). It must be true what they say about your worst bits vanishing last.

Mark • October 12, 2005 at 7:42 am

Uh, I don’t think your kneecaps are supposed to be able to touch each other, unless you’re a contortionist. If I were you, I’d get to an an orthopedist. stat. ;-)

The rib cage test is how veterinarians determine if dogs are overweight. They also check the base of the tail to see if it’s too thick — I wonder if that one can be adapted to humans?

Kirsten • October 12, 2005 at 8:30 am

Well, Mark, I can’t refuse a challenge…

…so I just stood up, turned my feet inwards and yes, I can get my kneecaps to touch that way (I’m bendy. It’s genetic). But I can’t feel bone by putting my knees together with feet facing forwards. That was what I meant :)

Queen • October 12, 2005 at 3:18 pm

And soon you’ll have wrist bones and tendons in your hands and feet. It truly is amazing watching your body transform. Congrats!!

Jan • February 23, 2006 at 7:01 am

Too cool!

I’m psyched for you, and can identify (almost) precisely. Coincidentally, I’ve lost the same amount of weight as you have (plenty left to go, hehe) and remember vividly the day on which I exclaimed “Look, BONES!” to my mother (FYI, I’m 16, not leeching onto my folks, lol). Similar parts, too, but my collar bone also took me by surprise… Though the ribs and pelvis came first, ’cause I’ve got the skeletal mass n’ frame of an adolescent water buffalo. -shrugs- Anyway, good on you, mate, and best wishes! I’ll be rooting for you. :)