Jorge Garcia

When Whoopi Goldberg first saw the character of Uhuru appear on her TV screen during an episode of Star Trek, she said “Look Mommy, there’s a black lady on TV!” When I started watching this season’s hit show Lost, I had a similar moment of incredulance, only I could be heard saying “Look Mommy, there’s a fat person on TV!”

Jorge Garcia plays Hugo “Hurley” Reyes, the practical yet funny plane crash survivor and one of the show’s most popular characters. He also weighs at least 250 pounds.

Sure, there have been some fat characters on TV before. Roseanne. Camryn Manheim. Half The Sopranos cast. But I’m still pleasantly shocked when I see a new overweight character appear who isn’t just there to be the butt of everyone’s jokes. (Fat Monica from Friends, I’m looking at you.)

I applaud Lost‘s creators and producers for putting an overweight person on TV who is not just the stereotypical “fat guy.” Hurley is as textured and real a character as any of his fellow survivors. More Americans are overweight than aren’t, so it’s nice to see one depicted humanly on TV.

George • January 17, 2006 at 9:59 am

Nothing to do

tug • January 26, 2006 at 12:33 pm

I just came upon your blog while looking for information on jorge garcia’s weight loss and went to your “progress” photos and wanted to say “wow!” you have made amazing progress and i love the grab and spin. FUN and EDUCATIONAL! :)

Wandajean • April 25, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I appreciate the the positive character Mr.Garcia is portraying on Lost. As an overweight individual I know what it feels like to be extremely heavy. However, in 2000 I realized the impact this was having on my life and that of my family. I took what some would think of as a risk, but it changed my life forever. I had a mini-gastric bypass, done by Dr.Robert Rutledge. I was back to work within 3 days of the surgery. As of today I went from 300 lbs. to 175 lbs. I’ve noticed this season “Hurley” seems to have gained more weight. I hope Mr. Garcia will check out Dr.Rutledges website and give some thought to his health. He’s a wonderful actor and I would hate to loose him due to health concerns.

Kathy • May 12, 2008 at 8:19 am

My wake yp to size was when I heard an ESPN broadcast and the were talking about the basketball player “shaq” and they said at 325 he is really pretty mobile guy! I realized at that time (NOT NOW) I weighed more than SHaq who is 7 feet tall! I now on the back of a business card carry a picture of Shaq on one side and the phrase you have to change the way you think before you change the way you look!

Stacey • August 5, 2009 at 11:43 am

I loved Hurley too but in the later episodes they have him hoarding food that they find. REALLY dissapointed me. It was as if they were telling us that all fat people are greedy and selfish just like we are portrayed on every other show. That the stereotype is true. I doubt that they could get away with that if it were anything but the lowly obese. Sorry to be so negative but that was something I found to be personally hurtful. :(

Brooke • May 23, 2010 at 4:19 am

I agree he’s gained more weight. I saw him on Jimmy Kimmel and he looked a lot more heavier.

He needs to do something about that because it’s unhealthy.

Alabama • May 24, 2010 at 7:40 pm