I will be fat at FitBloggin’

Possible FitBloggin’ sponsor? Um, not:

Possible FitBloggin' sponsor...not.

There is a part of me that wishes I could lose 50 pounds before the FitBloggin’ conference in two weeks. I can’t deny that. I’m not as thin as I used to be, but I’m not as fat as I used to be either. I could get into all the reasons for that, blah, blah, blah, excuses, defensiveness, marshmallows. But that’s not really important. What’s important is that I’m going anyway.

One of the things I learned from my weight loss is that your body isn’t holding you back in all the ways you think it is. Most of the problems you had before you lose weight will still be there after you lose weight unless you do work on your inner self as well as your outer self. And while the fat me from 6 years ago (dear me, has it been 6 years?) probably would have been too self-conscious to attend a conference all about health and fitness, the less-fat-but-still-undeniably-fat me of today shall not only be attending, but presenting too. ( I should really start putting together my presentation, shouldn’t I?)

It’s not your fat that holds you back, it’s you. And I’m not going to hold myself back, because I’d really like to see all my friends who will be attending. Shauna is flying in from Scotland! Roni is running the whole darn thing and raising a newborn! I’ll get to meet Rebecca in person after working on her web sites for months! And all these lovely people will be there too, some who I do know and many who I don’t.

So, yes, I will be there. And there will be more of me there than there would have been two or three years ago. If you’re going to be fat at FitBloggin’ too, don’t worry. I’ve got your back, and I’ve got your back fat too. See you there!

Dawn • May 6, 2011 at 9:19 am

I hope I get to say hi to you again this year (I was the person that came up to you last year and told you that you are the reason I started a blog).

I’ve said it all along that it’s definitely a mind game losing and keeping the weight off. It’s sure not easy. Sounds like you are doing ok if 6 yrs has already went by and you’re still holding your own. Will be good to see you and remember meeting and seeing people isnt’ about what they look like but about who they are and what they have to say *smile*.

Jennifer Wilson • May 6, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thank you for this post – I am going to my high school reunion (25 years!) this weekend and have been freaking out because I am 50 lbs overweight. Your words are helping me to refocus.

Jack Sh*t • May 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

I hope I can get you to sign my copy of your new book… and while you’ve got your pen out, could you go ahead and sign my tab at the bar? You’re awesome!

jen (jeninRL) • May 6, 2011 at 10:17 am

Thanks Jennette!! I totally needed to read this post – I have gained since last year’s fitbloggin and it was starting to worry me.

I know that its ME holding me back – I just finally admitted it but that doesn’t make it easier to go to fitbloggin 25 pounds heavier than last year.

BTW – not sure if you remember but I saw you in the bathroom and I told you I was in the macaroni militia with ya!

anyway, I look forward to seeing you again!

much love and big hugs, jen
and THANKS!

Gina • May 6, 2011 at 11:43 am

It’s nice to know I’m not alone. I would have loved to lose about 20-30lbs before FitBloggin. But I’ve been struggling with the inside issues for awhile. I’ve been holding myself back and realize only I can change myself. Can’t wait to see you in a few weeks!

Gail (@its_gail) • May 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

When I saw this headline, all I could think of was “Oh, sweetie, I’ll be fat, too.”

My goal was to blow everyone away from last year’s Fitbloggin to this year’s with an astounding weight loss.

Didn’t happen. But I am 20 lbs lighter so I’ve got that.

LisaM • May 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Why not be there as a great poster girl for the Health at Every Size movement? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_at_Every_Size)
I know your foot has been keeping you off the road lately, but other than that, aren’t you happier and healthier mostly because you changed your views & habits regarding physical activity? I personally will never reach the realm of the skinnies, but I’ll never go back to the lump on a log I used to be, and that’s enough for me!

Carbzilla • May 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Great attitude! I’ve been losing weight AND hiding, so it’s always something, ain’t it. I wish I were going. I need a boost like that, but I just didn’t know if I was going to have a new job or what (I don’t).

Have a GREAT time!

JourneyBeyondSurvival • May 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I think you’re awesome.

If I’d have gone I’d have been heavier than last year. Good thoughts, and wishes to you.

rose • May 7, 2011 at 2:39 am

Your attitude is wonderful, you have your thoughts in the right place.

I’m sure you will have a wonderful time at Fitbloggin’.

As a “role model” you show that staying skinny is a challenge and people do fluctuate.. That is actually more of a motivation, you lost a tonne of weight and I’m sure if it really means that much to you, you will lose a little bit more if you so desire. But its great to see we are not alone, we are human.

Anyway, you are SOOOO much healthier and have come on so far in your journey.. you have done more than99% of us.. so stop worrying :D

Rose

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition • May 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I love this post! I’ve had the same doubts in my mind recently as I anticipated the scale would have gone the other way by now but I am not going to let it hold me back!

I look forward to meeting you at Fitbloggin!

Debbie Clark • May 7, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Jennette, I so needed to hear your words. I am at my heaviest, and it is more difficult to be physically active. I blame my weight and my migraine for stopping me from doing what I want. Then I realize what you’ve accomplished – a lot! – at a much younger age than I, despite the obstacles. You are so right – we hold ourselves back. It’s not the weight or even the migraine, although that’s a bitch, isn’t it?

Thank you for that little kick in the pants!

Alison C. • May 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm

This post, my dear PQ, is one of the reasons I love you.

I never have and never will go to Fitbloggin (for one thing, i don’t blog), but this is applicable to so many parts of life. I have a wedding to go to soon, and I have to go there fat. But I also have to remember that my family loves me, regardless of the fat. One of the things I tell myself is “I am more than my outward appearance,” and that is true for everyone.

Relax and enjoy yourself – and love yourself! We love you!

Laurie • May 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Ditto on the weight. It’s my first time at Fitbloggin’ and I’m at I’m close to my highest weight ever. Yeh, thought about and blogged about losing wt. weeks ago, didn’t happen.
By the way, I heard your podcast with Miz and Shauna. I ordered both your book (half assed) and Shauna’s today from Border’s.
Can’t wait to meet you…no matter what you weigh :)

Sophie • May 8, 2011 at 2:45 am

I love your blog, and I’m glad you’re going to FitBloggin’ again this year!

Maria @ my waist loss journey • May 8, 2011 at 8:04 am

Jennette, repeat offender here also, a couple of years ago I lost 50+lbs and have put it all back on, but as of March 2, I am in the losing mode again…I cannot wait until fitBloggin and thank you Roni for this great conference and the ticket…Would love to meet you…

Bethlin • May 9, 2011 at 10:04 am

I wanted to say something, but it looks like Lisa pretty much has it all covered, “aren’t you happier and healthier mostly because you changed your views & habits regarding physical activity?”

RunEatRepeat • May 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I totally “get” this and am glad I’m not alone :) See ya there!

Yoonmee @ MoveLaughAloha • May 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm

You have a great attitude! Weight loss and body acceptance/love are both journeys with highs and lows and in betweens. Who cares if you weigh a little more than you did at the last conference? You are who you are and have inspired many others. That’s what counts! =)

rebecca • May 9, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Not to cast a less-than-rah-rah-rah pall on these comments, but the Fitbloggin community might want to have a special session about fitbloggers who regain. It is, after all, a huge (no pun inteneded) part of many, if not most, dieter’s experience. As someone who has lost 90 pounds, and kept it off for almost seven years, I can say from experience that each of us has has to chose that “this is an okay place” wieght that we can actually maintain and live with, and let ourselves get off the dieting rollercoaster. If it’s 50 pounds more than your “ideal,” so be it.

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? • May 9, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic, Jennette. I, too, will be heavier at FitBloggin this year than last…and I was self-conscious and uncomfortable last year already. I don’t have everything figured out (not sure if I have ANY thing figured out), but I keep trying to learn and change my way of thinking, and I think that has to be the goal for me because “all or nothing” thinking just makes me crazy. And makes me regain hard-lost weight.

Long story short: I look forward to seeing you in Baltimore next week.

Foodie McBody • May 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I already love you! (and have been a fan for yrs) When I signed up for Fitbloggin six months ago, I swore to myself I’d be in the “best shape of my life!” Well…err….I’m not really at that point right now. I’m far from the worst shape, but life has intervened and I’m hardly at peak form right now. It’s OK. It’s NOT A FITNESS CONTEST. It’s going to be a rocking wonderful community. I can’t wait.

Brittany • May 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm

So excited for Fitbloggin! Can’t wait to meet you! I’m not in the shape i’d like to be, but oh well, that’s okay and i’m me!

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

The Citicorp tower design flaw that could have wiped out the skyscraper: 99% Invisible by Roman Mars.
Glad someone figured this out before disaster happened.

Site Meter