Help me design the FitBloggin “Design 101” session

Design

I’ll be hangin’ in Baltimore between May 20-May 21 at the second annual FitBloggin’ conference. I’ve been asked to lead a session called “Design 101: Simple tips to Build a Better Blog” because of the web design work I do over at Make My Blog Pretty. I would like my session to be free of snoring and people sneaking out, so I wanted to know what any FitBloggin’ attendees out there are interested in learning. You can comment either on this post or on this post at the FitBloggin’ web site.

I’m most interested in knowing how general or specific you’d like the session to be. Are you interested in learning some general principles of design? Or would you prefer specific instructions on how to change your header in WordPress or to use the Blogger template designer? Lemme’ know!

Oh, and if you’re not attending FitBloggin’, I still think you are a precious, unique snowflake, but since you’re not actually going to be at the session please let me know that in your comment. I’m still interested in what other bloggers and blog readers want to know about design, but I’d like to make sure the people actually at the session get the most out of it.

H-woman • April 7, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m not attending…you can design your own header in Blogger?! There’s so much I don’t know!

=)

PastaQueen • April 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm

@H-woman – You can edit the header colors, fonts, etc in Blogger. To create a custom image for your header you’d need to use a program like PhotoShop. You can then upload it to Blogger and insert it.

Sarah • April 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I live in Baltimore and may consider going. I have considering starting a blog. If I attended I would like basic info as I am pretty uninformed about web design and that is part of the reason I am hesitant to blog.

Chris • April 7, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I’m nowhere near where you are, and so am not going, but what about a list of “what *not* to do”s? I am very graphically challenged and sometimes cannot see teh ugly.

Merry • April 8, 2011 at 12:11 am

Were I to be attending, I would not only feel special and unique but would also be interested in something like a troubleshooting section, common errors such as What Not to Do (i.e. “Just because you can add loads of bells & whistles, that doesn’t necessarily mean you should”). I tend to avoid blogs with ultra fancy backgrounds that make the text unreadable, or ones that have so many blinking and flashing Bright Shiny Things in the sidebar that you can’t concentrate on what’s actually written.

Since I’m not going to be there, I’ll just have to resign myself to the fact that I can’t get my header to display crisp and perfect fonts even though I edited the damn thing in Photoshop and converted the text to outline and swore at it and stuff like that.

Merry • April 8, 2011 at 12:12 am

Huh. Not only did Chris steal my idea, he or she also invented a time machine and traveled back in time to insert her or his comment ahead of mine.
Either that, or I shouldn’t take so long to formulate a comment.

Maria mywaistlossjourney • April 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Hi Jennette I will be going to fitBloggin11 and I would like to learn how to do a new heading and how to do a link to progression weight loss photos. Also how to do a page of weigh ins that people can just click on. Can you tell I am very new to this… Left you a message on the fitbloggin site too…

Barb • April 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hi!! Love your book, =) I just found this page and I enjoy the hell out of you!!!
I am ordering your new book ASAP!!

Chris • April 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm

@Merry – lol! I have powers, apparently!

Suz • April 12, 2011 at 2:02 am

Hey , teach them how to make a “skinny” picture for inspiration or one of those spinning you lower weight around things. I bet they would be popular!

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? • April 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I will be at Fitbloggin and I would love to hear about best practices for making my site load properly on most browsers. (It makes my head hurt when I view it on someone else’s computer and realize it’s not displaying properly.)

Thanks!