Just 10 and a dorky blue bracelet

The blue wristband of dorkitude

A long time ago in a universe far, far away I ordered a lil’ blue “Just 10″ wristband from the Doctor Oz show. I ordered it so long ago that I do not remember how I heard about it or when I filled out the web form requesting it. I do think they said shipping could take 6-10 weeks, so I’m evidently incapable of remembering anything before October of 2010. How was Labor Day, y’all? I can’t recall.

The wristband is part of The Just 10 Challenge started by Doctor Oz (or more likely a producer of his TV show). The program motivates overweight people to lose just 10 pounds because even that small amount of weight loss can lower your blood pressure, reduce your risk for a stroke, ward off dementia, lower your risk for uterine and breast cancer, and lower your cholesterol up to 10%. So says the web site anyway, and the Internet would not lie to me, not the sweet Internet that sings me to sleep with digital MP3s.

Doctor Oz's battle call!

The blue “Just 10″ wristband was free, but it looks like the program is over because the web page to order one on Zapppos.com is now redirecting to their main site. Sorry! It also appears there are a few available on eBay if you don’t mind paying for something that’s supposed to be free.

Anyway, I’ve always thought these little wristbands made of rubber, plastic, or alien, space-age materials were rather dorky. I’ve seen the yellow LiveStrong wristbands and they rarely match what the person attached to the wrist is wearing (which might be the point: to stand out). I’ve also thought they make the wearer seem a bit smug and morally superior, as if they are flaunting their do-gooder-ness for a particular cause. But I am an evil girl who is going to get nasty comments, so you don’t have to bother telling me what hell smells like because I’ll find out on my own eventually.

I felt like a dork ordering this wristband, but I did it anyway because I do want to lose weight and I figured it wouldn’t hurt me, only the environment, because we don’t have enough plastic/rubber/space bracelets in the landfills as it is. How will future civilizations now about our weight obsession without going through our trash and finding this thing?

I’ve had it for three days now and…it sort of helps. When I was at the National Figure Skating Championships earlier this week, I walked past a cotton candy vendor and thought, “Mmmmmm, cotton candy.” But then I fingered by wristband and snapped it against my forearm once or twice and thought, “God damn you, Doctor Oz!” And I walked on.

Then the other night I was laying on the couch, my headache was amped up a bit, and I was seriously thinking of driving to the grocery to get some ice cream. Then I fingered the bracelet again, and I stayed on the couch cursing Doctor Oz instead.

The bracelet fits snugly halfway up my forearm. It doesn’t hurt, but it’s tight enough that I do notice it’s there once ever few hours. I like how it says “Just 10,” too. It’s the “Just” that’s endearing. It’s not, “Holy Shit, 50 pounds? For real?” or “Realistically? One year to goal.” It’s like an optimistic yet not overly perky friend who’s breaking down a big task into small parts for me. Just 10 for now! We’ll figure out the rest later.

So, yes, I like the dorky blue bracelet! I plan to keep on wearing it, at least until I forget it’s there or it cuts off my circulation and turns my whole hand blue to match. Either way, I plan to keep on hating Doctor Oz for awhile.

Debbi • February 2, 2011 at 8:26 am

At one time in my life, I made a little beaded bracelet that had four alphabet beads in the center: GRRR.

I could totally see myself making a JUST 10 beaded bracelet. Eating and exercising aren’t working so well (I’m maintaining, still not losing, no big surprise there), maybe new jewelry will help!

Lyn • February 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

Just ten is good, a decent goal. That would get me to a new low anyway.

Good luck :)

Heather • February 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I also ordered one last year and got it MONTHs later. I keep mind on my waterbottle. Everytime I take a drink, I will see it. Mine does fit but I don’t like wearing anything on my wrist.

Mindy • February 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

This week at Weight Watchers, they talked about having an anchor to remind you of your plan/goal, etc. So you have an anchor…a blue plastic anchor. Good job!

Carbzilla • February 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm

The snapping part is genius. Whatever works, I say. It’s taken me 7 weeks to lose 3 lbs on WW (no cheating even) so Jennifer Hudson can kiss my butt. I’ll stick with it though since I’ve lost 5 lbs since before Xmas according to my iPhone app.

Totally been thinking of you because my migraines are out of control. Was just enjoying a week free and then was walloped after a workout class last night. Maxalt helps but my shoulders and neck feel like they’re made of that blue stuff.

Hugs!

Kim • February 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love dorky things like this and I need some motivation. I don’t have a Dr. Oz bracelet, but I found a blue KC Royals bracelet and I’m wearing this sucker until I drop 5 pounds. For me it is Operation “Just 5″. Thanks for the motivation!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • February 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Too funny! Love the part about the environment! Well, I hope it helps! I’m on a rampage to lose weight and have been doing well. I’ve been involved in online challenges that are rather dorky as well but yet, they seem to be working. Whatever keeps us accountable, I guess.

kathy • February 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I’m one of those dorky Livestrong yellow band wearers. TBperfectlyH, I hate the guy. I’ve hated him since before he had cancer (we’re huge cycling fans here) and I started wearing the yellow bracelet when my dad was dx’d with prostate cancer. Added a cloth bracelet when he was dxd with bladder cancer and now have a 3rd for my sister who was dxd with leiosarcoma. The bracelets are a HUGE PITA but everytime I think DAMN, this is a PITA it reminds me of what a PITA it is to have cancer and I shut myself up.

PastaQueen • February 2, 2011 at 8:31 pm

@kathy – A guy I used to work with competed in the cycling circuit and wasn’t a fan of Lance either, for various reasons.

Emily • February 3, 2011 at 1:07 am

Hi – I have been following your website for a couple years. Last year you recommended a book, The Beck Diet Solution, and it really worked for me, lost about 13 pounds. I also like your idea here with the bracelet. But, the real reason for me writing a comment . . . I am a cotton candy vendor! Crazy, I know. I am glad you were able to pass it up though. It probably was about 100 to 200 calories of sugar depending on the size. In my machine, 2 cups of sugar makes me about 8 to 10 cones, so around a 1/4 cup of sugar per each. I work my business about 20 days in the summer and no, I never make it up at home. :o)

maxie • February 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I have a green bracelet that says, “make the better choice.” Got it from a guy on the Weightwatchers.com message boards a couple of years ago. It did work because, for me, it’s really annoying to have that thing on my wrist and it made me think about what I was doing. But, it makes my arm sweat and I quit using it.

Maybe I should find it again because I’ve been going the wrong way–gained 10 pounds since summer.

rebecca • February 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm

You wrote:
“Then the other night I was laying on the couch, my headache was amped up a bit, and I was seriously thinking of driving to the grocery to get some ice cream.” Sorry to be a stickler, but it should be “lying on the couch,” not “laying.” As someone who makes her living as a writer, I thought you’d want to know.

Good luck with your bracelet!

PastaQueen • February 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm

@rebecca – Hey, I’m a writer, not a proofreader. Do you want me to put someone out of a job? :)

Kari • February 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I wish it had come in sizes — I can’t wear mine because it’s HUGE. Small-framed people can be overweight too. In fact it’s worse when you’re small framed. My current weight is my workout buddy’s “goal weight” but it’s just shy of “obese” for me. :\

Sheila • February 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’ve disliked Lance Armstrong ever since he dumped his wife for Sheryl Crow. In a subsequent TV special, he sang the praises of his mother for helping him through the cancer crisis. As if his wife had done nothing! I’m glad the guy is healthy and I respect people who choose to wear the bracelet. But you won’t see one on me, no siree.

Pam • February 5, 2011 at 1:28 am

I too had a headache the other day and thought about you. I get those pre-migraine auras (flashing in my eyes), have had it for years, but usually never get a headache afterwards, Only this week I did. It wasn’t a migraine, but it hurt, it was annoying, and it didn’t go away for about 24 hours. I thought geez, I hope I’m not like Jennette and this headache never goes away. But it did.
Sounds like that dorky bracelet is working for you. I need something to snap me out of eating stuff I shouldn’t lately. Maybe I’ll just flick myself on the forehead like Monaca and Rachel from Friends did when they were fighting over Jean Claude Van Damme.

Jill • February 8, 2011 at 1:40 am

Oh My Gosh. I really, really, really want the “Holy Shit! 50 lbs” version. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada