Happy runners

Runner

I have been hating runners lately. As I’ve mentioned, the weather is lovely and idyllic around here, so I see them bouncing up and down the sidewalks all they time. They’re wearing their fancy running shoes and their cute running shorts and DAMMIT! I want to be one of them, but my stupid right foot has been hurting, so I’ve had to forgo any aerobic exercise for the time being.

My neurologist and I have found a magical mix of medications and behavioral habits that have been keeping my headache locked in a closet lately with only some occasional mumbles and door rattling. I’m at a 1 out of 5 on the pain scale most days, so I’ve had more energy and I want to get back into the running game. Yet, once again, my body is not on board with me. So I have to wait for my foot to heal, and I have to read people tweeting about their marathon training and how many miles they’ve run that day and it is turning me into a green-faced envy monster.

But I shall be patient, and I’ll wait for the stupid foot to get better. And then, THEN, finally I hope I can become a runner once again.

Lisa • February 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’m not seeing how bad foot = no aerobic activity. No spinning/biking? No rowing? No swimming?

Carbzilla • February 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I am SO happy you’re down to a ONE! Whoohoo!

I just found a migraine-free cooking blog, and I was like “Where have you been my whole life?” I felt like I was the only one complaining about additives and MSG. Begone headaches!

Diana • February 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Funny, but I sort of remember you hating running. Maybe I’m thinking of someone else. :)

missjsifuentes • February 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Ouch! This stinks! Maybe you can find an aerobic activity that doesn’t involve your foot or that involves minimal movement so your body can still keep up to par! Have you tried Exercise TV? They have all types of workouts online and on On Demand. Maybe one of those can keep your mind off of wanting to run and keep you active.

PastaQueen • February 7, 2011 at 6:22 pm

@Lisa – I don’t really like spinning, and it’s still a bit cold to go biking. I also don’t really know how to swim, just doggie paddle.

@Diana – After my half-marathon, I reached a point where I was burned out on running, but I’ve always enjoyed it.

Jenny • February 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I hate runners too, I recently did a half marathon, and it was really hard. I am extremely lucky to live in the sort of idyllic place where its not too traumatic, my longer training runs have involved running around the san diego bay, or along the coastline looking for dolphins, but I am done now!

I’m back to the bike, I love to ride my bike. I would recommend that you join a group like team in training, they will train you, and you’ll also make tons of new friends!

Hope the headache, foot problems improve…

Kendra • February 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I just broke my toe and can’t run either so I totally feel your pain. I’m having to search for other activites that don’t totally suck to do. I hate the exercise bike (boring) and the eliptical (feels like fake running and I probably can’t do it anyway) so swimming seems to be my next logical step.

SM • February 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Is it just the impact that running causes that bothers you? If so, use the elliptical. I use the Precor ellipticals at my gym and if you put the incline at about 10 and the resistance at about 6 and try to simulate running as much as you can (ie fast pedaling and no holding on to the rails), you actually get a helluva workout. I did that for a few months instead of running and by the time I got back on the race track, I was faster and had more endurance. It feels like cheating.

PastaQueen • February 7, 2011 at 7:28 pm

@SM – It’s not the impact, it’s putting weight on it for more than a few minutes. I was at a party last Friday and it started to hurt just from standing around. So, no elliptical for me!

Merry • February 7, 2011 at 9:04 pm

@PastaQueen – I suspect the pain left your head only so it could travel down to your foot. It likes you. It /really/ likes you.
I would love to offer some good advice on dealing with foot pain. As soon as I have some to offer, that is.

Emily • February 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I feel your pain. (literally) For lack of a better way of putting it, I have bad feet. It really sucks. They hurt all the time, but what I really enjoy is the high impact aerobics or running. I can’t seem to do those things without wobbling for 3 days after. Sucks.

Sarah Fowler • February 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I feel your pain… literally.

I fell last week and sprained BOTH ankles, plus some major cuts and bruises to my feet. I’m not even back to work yet, and I have a desk job!

Here’s hoping your foot heals (I almost typed heels… hehe) quickly!

vickie • February 8, 2011 at 6:47 am

bike, pool, rower

Cindy • February 9, 2011 at 8:33 am

If you wouldn’t mind sharing what is working headache wise (even privately) I’d be thrilled. I’m still suffering daily after 4 + years.

Quix • February 9, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Awww, bummer. Glad you’re feeling better though headache-wise! I know you said you can only doggie paddle but I cannot recommend swimming enough, I’ve been having a blast with it lately. If you doggie paddle enough (I started there), you’ll get better! I swear! :) Hope you can run soon though!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.