The time I was shot (with a camera, not bullets)

Jennette Fulda

I’ve gotten a ridiculous amount of compliments on the photo I’ve started using for my icon on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I’m not an ugly person, but I’m not a serious contender for Miss America either, so getting this much attention over my photo is kinda weird. You’d think I’d bathed in buttermilk and hired a stylist or something, but all I really did was hire my friend Kyle Hepp, who’s a professional photographer, to take my picture. So I thought I’d take this opportunity to thank her and pimp her services.

Kyle is a girl (with a boy’s name, yes, she knows) who I met through our blogs. She is a US expatriate who lives in Chile for most of the year with her husband, Seba, who she met there during school. When I heard she’d be in Nashville last summer, I decided to trek down I-65 to meet her. I hired her to do a photo shoot too for several reasons.

1. I needed new promotional images of myself because everyone thought my hair was much shorter than it really was. My old photo pictured me the shortest haircut I’ve ever had, so every time I met an Internet-person or a friend who hadn’t seen me in person for awhile, they’d ask me when my hair had gotten so long. It was annoying.
  2. I was getting ready to leave Indiana and I wanted to give my mom some professional photos of myself as a gift
  3. I did not tell Kyle this at the time, but I wanted to get an author photo for my upcoming book, Chocolate & Vicodin. I thought this would be a lot of pressure though, so I kept quiet on that.
  4. Just because! Photo shoots can be fun :)

Jennette Fulda

So, we met in downtown Nashville and roamed up and down the streets and along the waterfront scoping for good shots. I did not understand half of the technical things Kyle and Seba were doing with their portable flashes and other gadgets. Also, Kyle would speak in English and Seba would reply in Spanish, which was like listening to one half of a telephone conversation. I mostly just turned to the left and turned to the right and moved my shoulders a little this way and laid in the grass with a million chiggers. I got nine bug bites while taking the photo below, but it was totally worth it:

Jennette Fulda

I got a great selection of photos to use and put six of them in a frame for my mom. I gave it to her the night before I drove off with the Budget truck leading the way. As I predicted, she started to cry when she unwrapped the gift. So there you go. Kyle Hepp: She’ll make your mommy cry. You can quote me on that.

I was very happy with the photos, particularly because I loved them despite not loving my weight these days. I’m not crying myself to sleep over my headache weight, but I would have preferred to be fifty pounds thinner while the photo lens was trained on me. The weight did not matter, though, because Kyle brought out my best features and made me look great. It can be unnerving being in front of a camera, but I was able to chill out and relax like we were just tourists who happened to hang out on window ledges.

Jennette Fulda

So, thanks Kyle! You can visit Kyle’s site, Kyle Hepp Photography to see more of her portfolio.

psychsarah • December 17, 2010 at 9:27 am

Awesome pics! A lovely subject and a professional photographer can make for some wonderful results. :)

Karen • December 17, 2010 at 11:27 am

Love the pics. She is a great photographer and she was able to get really nice not “posed” looking poses. The bug bites were so worth it!

Annika Q • December 17, 2010 at 11:55 am

Those photos are beautiful!

I haven’t finished with your archives yet (winter break project?) so I haven’t read how you gained back weight, but I have to say I think you’re still doing amazing. You still look healthy, you’ve maintained a LOT and probably the most important part of your losses, and you’ve retained your “fat girl makeover” as you put it in an earlier post. Even if you’re a bit heavier than your lowest weight, the impact of your weight-loss project on your health and confidence remains evident. :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • December 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I saw that photo and noticed how good it was too. Not that your other stank or anything, these were just extra nice. Is that kinda a backhanded compliment? :-)

Kalynskitchen • December 17, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Add me to the list of people who love that Twitter icon photo of you, but I also LOVE this one of you with your chin resting on your hand. All great photos!

(And I think you are a lot prettier than you realize!)

Rachel • December 17, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I think they’re lovely! And your smile is beautiful!

mom taxi julie • December 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Your photos look great!

Magnarama • December 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

All you in need is a few blonde puppies rolling around on you in that meadow photo and you could be the new J’Adore perfume girl.

Weight schmeight — you look lovely.

Jen @ The Short Years • December 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

A photographer who can take pictures that you like of yourself, even when you’re not at an ideal weight? That photographer is a gem. I am always the hardest critic of photos of myself–others will tell me a certain one is cute, and I just see the flaws. So if you like these pictures of yourself, then you know they’re awesome! And indeed, they are awesome. You look lovely in all of them.

Jules • December 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Lovely! You and the pics! :)

Lisa • December 17, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Having just recently found your blog, I don’t have your highest or lowest weight images in my mind’s eye as reference points – just the here & now. As one who has long battled self-image (but feel pretty good about where I stand with it now), I try not to but know that I subconsciously file first impressions into brain drawers. A long way around to tell you that the drawer you dropped in was labeled normal sized and very pretty!

Penny • December 17, 2010 at 11:57 pm

It’s always nice to have someone picture you in a way that makes you (more) proud of yourself, :) I like how the pictures look down to earth and relaxing.

Kyle • December 18, 2010 at 12:23 am

Thank you Jennette! I am a little late to the party because I’ve been ironically, away from the computer hauling my butt all over Santiago today trying to find an iPhone to buy so I could have easier access to the internet.

I am one happy camper that you did not tell me you were trying to get an author photo for your book because that would have freaked me out BIG TIME. And now that I know I’m just surprised and so happy!

Kyle Hepp: She’ll make your mommy cry.

ˆˆˆAnd I’m still working on the new logo with my tagline incorporated :)

Glad you love your pictures. I do too.

Samantha • December 18, 2010 at 2:25 am

Those look awesome!

Angela • December 18, 2010 at 3:54 am

You look healthy and very pretty in the pictures! Don’t be so hard on yourself about regaining some weight. You have kept off most of it, which is quite an accomplishment! I started losing in September and have lost 25 pounds so far. I have only lost a few pounds in the last month due to Thanksgiving and Christmas cookies (so yummy). I am trying to shift my focus to the positive. For example, I may have lost momentum, but at least I haven’t gained. So like you said in a recent post, it’s about small victories. Happy holidays!

msmezzo • December 19, 2010 at 10:34 am

Yes these are wonderful photos, and yes the photographer is certainly talented, but look at the subject she has to work with! Peaches and cream skin, lovely smile, self confident gaze at the camera, shall I continue? Own your beauty girl.

Lanie • December 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

You look happy, which is always beautiful :)

My favorite is the windowsill one. I may need to get that address for the next time I go visit my photographer friend who happens to live in Nashville :)

Kristin • December 20, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Whenever things in my internet world collide I find it funny and “It’s a Small World” plays endlessly in my head for roughly 23 minutes. I actually went to high school with Kyle, and enjoy her blog a lot. And I enjoy your blog. And you enjoy each others blogs? mind blown. The pictures turned out famously.

Emily • December 22, 2010 at 10:50 am

Love the pic in the grass – so the bug bites were worth it! Any photographer that can make a person love pics of themselves when they aren’t 100% happy with how they look is fantastic.

If, Like Renee Zellweger, You're Female and Have a Face and Body, Listen Up - NYTimes.com

In Minnesota, Abandoned Wheelchairs Are Just Part Of The Landscape : Shots - Health News : NPR
I've seen abandoned shopping carts before, but never wheelchairs.