Taking the trash out…way out

I didn’t think anything could top last year’s forgetful Christmas when my family left a crockpot of meatballs on the sidewalk. But someone in my mom’s apartment complex is in competition to beat us for the best humorous short-term memory lapse. See exhibit A:

Trashy car

Yes, that is a bag of trash. Sitting on the trunk of a car. A car that we followed out of my mom’s apartment complex, up and over a hill, through a traffic light, and then another half mile before they turned off into a random driveway, presumably because they finally realized they were driving around town with a bag of trash on top of their car.

There is only one trash compactor in my mom’s complex, so people who live at the far ends of the development sometimes put their trash on top of the trunk of their car and drive it over to the dumpster. Why not put it in the back seat? Because it’s trash. It smells nasty and could possibly stain the seats. I’m guessing this person forgot they’d put it there and couldn’t see it out of their back window because it was covered in snow. Since the bag is white, I also wonder if it took them awhile to realize it was a trash bag and not snow.

Thankfully, they did not launch a trash missile into traffic and they gave us a good laugh. Just remember, when you take the trash out, don’t take it out out.

Lanie • December 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm

haha. Shouldn’t you have honked or somehow signalled to tell them? oh wait, I’m the mom who ran to get the camera when my toddler fell feet-up into her toybox. Don’t listen to me.

Katherine • December 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

That is hilarious! When I was moving I had to put trash in the back of my SUV to drive to the dumpster since my trash can was already full. That was disgusting! My car stank for days afterwards. But a huge mound of trash sitting on top of my car would have been a sight to see!

MelPo • December 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Ha! This summer I accidentally took 2 bags of trash on a weekend getaway (forgot to stop at the dumpster on my way out of our complex!)

After 2 days of driving around with trash in the trunk, we sneaked it into a dumpster behind the mall…sshhhhhh

Julia • December 30, 2010 at 3:25 pm

That’s a common sight in Atlanta as well as bags that have already fallen off into traffic – peeeuuuu!!

Sarah • December 30, 2010 at 4:22 pm

That is too funny. I used to do the same thing with my trash to get it from my apartment to the one trash dumpster. I often felt so lazy, but so much better than walking with it hitting my leg and getting trash water all over me

Auntie Mandy • December 30, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Um, I think some of that could have been recycled! I think you need to publish their license plate so that we can report them to the trash/recycling police!

Nina • December 30, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I did that with a pair of shoes once, drove about 20 block to my sisters house and they were both still there when I arrived! You see people do it with coffee cups too all the time, we all try to multitask way too much! LOL!

Chrissy • December 31, 2010 at 9:50 am

Nope, the crockpot is still the winner. haha

So you got to be with Mom for Christmas? Yay!

Happy New Year!

Rebecca Hoover • January 1, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Ha Ha Ha, thanks, needed that!

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine