Chocolate & Vicodin: The galleys are here!

Last night there was a knocking at the door after sunset, so naturally I assumed it was a serial killer. I opened the door with the chain still on and discovered it wasn’t a serial killer, it was the UPS man. (At least, I assume he wasn’t a serial killer. I suppose he could be both a killer and a delivery man, and using a UPS outfit as a disguise would be a brilliant way to get into people’s houses. You could even hide your axe in the box you’re delivering. Okay, I have clearly thought too much about this.)

After he’d gone and I’d secured the deadbolt, I opened the box to discover this:

Chocolate & Vicodin galleys (delivered by a serial killer?)

It’s the galleys for Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn’t Go Away! A galley is a bound edition of an uncorrected proof of the book. That means that not all the typographical or formatting errors have been fixed as they will be in the final edition. The galleys are published with the actual cover on the front and a promotional pitch on the back that features a summary, favorable blurbs, author information, and contact information for the publicity department of the publisher. They’re sent to magazines, libraries, and booksellers in advance of the publication date to stir up publicity and give reviewers enough lead time to review the book. Right now is the time when most magazines are planning their February/March editions, so sending them a galley now allows them to include it in the edition of the magazine that will be out when the book is released.

Now, I want to preface this next bit by saying that I’m a supporter of digital books. I love that they’re lightweight, easily searchable, annotatable, and less clunky than a big, heavy box of books that make your knees hurt when you carry them up the stairs during your interstate move. I’m not upset that printed books will most likely become less common as more and more people adopt the digital format (assuming that the author’s royalty remains a fair percentage). All that said, I really, really, really, loved opening the box and catching the distinct scent of books inside. When I picked up a galley, I could smell the freshly cut paper and ink. I even started sniffing the spine, I was so infatuated with the sweet publisher’s perfume. And when I held the book in my hands, I loved sliding my fingers across the glossy coating of the cover. It’s a real live dead book! So, yes, I still think digital books are the wave of the future and I’m not upset about it, but even a tech girl like me is not immune to the seduction of a printed book, particularly when it’s my own.

Mom • November 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I can not believe that I am the first one to read this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I share your excitement! Can hardly wait to touch it!

Lisa • November 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm

How exciting! I can’t wait to read it. I loved your first book. It was so inspiring.

Jackie • November 9, 2010 at 2:59 pm

If you want someone to read it through the I’d be more than willing. I have a knack for spotting typos. Plus I live in CH so now postage!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • November 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm

How exciting! Not that I’ve ever written a book but I so know what you mean. I can see the practicality of the ebooks but there is something about seeing your own hard work in printed volume that must be so rewarding. Good for you! Can’t wait to get mine!

Naantje • November 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Amazing! The books look really cool. And as long as e-books are more expensive than paperbacks (I don’t know why this is, but at least on Amazon, it’s true!) I will prefer the actual books.

Also, thank you for teaching me something new today :) I had never heard of a galley other than the boats the Romans used.

Rachel • November 9, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Congratulations! It looks beautiful.

Colleen • November 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Congrats on a great looking cover! May I suggest that your next book be a crime novel based on a UPS serial killer who hides his weapons in the packages he delivers. It sounds from this very amusing post you have an outline for that novel already!

Denise • November 9, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Congratulations on a wonderful achievement…I can’t imagine what it would be like to smell your own book. Totally awesome, I suspect.

Quix • November 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Love the cover, and as someone who practically grew up in a library, that smell just takes me back… I like the digital form too but there is nothing like the smell of a book…

Cari • November 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Yay for galleys!! We haven’t been getting them in Twinsburg for ages. I thought they were a thing of the past. Glad you got some!

AF • November 9, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Cool! I’ve really enjoyed getting to know about publishing through your blog posts. Not that all the other stuff isn’t cool, but the publishing stuff is extra neat.

MaryP • November 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Hi,
Congratulations for your number two book! I know just how you feel about the real book, but I must say I have learned to appreciate being able to hold my “book” in one hand or prop it with no hands. I read very quickly, and using something to prop pages open is a real hassle.

Maybe if this gets off the ground more, it will be a way to go buy a hard copy of an ebook that you know you love and want to keep around. (if hard copies get few and far between in the future)

BTW, what do you think about the twinkie diet reports? I bet the prof didn’t expect the results he got on his med tests.

Anna • November 10, 2010 at 5:14 am

That is one sexy looking book! You must be so excited to finally be able to hold it.

I can’t imagine ever locking my front door whilst at home – I’ve even been known to just yell “come in!” to a knock when I am stuck on the couch breastfeeding- is there really that much crime in your area? or is it a big city thing? a US thing perhaps? Am curious now!

Boilergrad93 • November 10, 2010 at 6:18 am

Congrats!! I read your first book…TWICE!! Can’t wait to buy this one!! And I’m in the growing minority who has absolutely ZERO use for digital books. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE walking around libraries and bookstores, picking up books, reading their jackets, etc. I love the feel and smell of a new book. I hope I NEVER feel the need to replace the feeling a new book gives me with a ‘gadget’.

Terra • November 10, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Congrats!!!! I am so very excited to read this book! What great accomplishment for you!!! I can’t wait to buy it!! Thanks for writing again.

Deanna • November 10, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I already know my mother pre-ordered a copy for me and is going to stick the receipt in my stocking for Xmas. =P

Carbzilla • November 11, 2010 at 1:48 am

…”so naturally I assumed it was a serial killer.”

Nice to know I’m not alone.

How super exciting is this???? So cool!

(I’m an excellent proofreader. Just sayin’)

Mary • November 11, 2010 at 5:47 am

Congratulations on your new book, can’t wait to read it in either form.

cindy • November 11, 2010 at 6:31 am

I hope ebooks don’t replace the real thing… seriously. It would feel like the beginning of the end of the world. There is nothing like picking up a book=== it is an act of hope like no other.

Jenny • November 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

Congrats! Pre-ordered from Books-a-million!

Pam • November 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I can only imagine the feeling you get when you see YOUR book all done and ready to read. Must be quite a sense of accomplishment and pride. I’m going to Amazon.com right now and pre-order it. Laughed my ass off at Half-Assed (literally–I’ve lost 130 lbs. so far), and can’t wait to read the new one.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter