Chocolate & Vicodin: The book cover that’s good enough to eat

The book cover for Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn’t Go Away appeared on Amazon.com yesterday, so I guess that’s a sign that it’s time to unveil it on the blog:

Chocolate and Vicodin by Jennette Fulda

Please, resist the urge to lick your screen. I hear computers are dirtier than public restrooms because people rarely clean their monitors. I would hate for you to catch an infection because my book cover looked so delectable. Mmmmm, cupcake. Chocolate cupcake. With pills!

I first saw the cover concept for Chocolate & Vicodin at the end of March 2010, long before the final text of the book was completed, which is sort of odd and slightly scary since it’s like taking your wedding photos before you’ve met your groom. However, the cover is needed for placement in the sales catalog the publisher puts together each season to pitch their books to booksellers. Thus, it’s usually created before the book is complete to give booksellers enough lead time to place their orders.

I immediately loved the cover because, really, what formerly morbidly obese woman doesn’t love cupcakes? It’s also a great excuse to serve chocolate frosted cupcakes at any book events. I feel very fortunate that I’ve loved the initial cover concepts for both of my books. Sometimes authors and marketing departments have differing visions of what the cover should look like, but I’ve been lucky to avoid that type of battle so far. I hope you guys love it as much as I do!

Also, as you might have figured out from the link, the book is available for pre-order at Amazon.com in paperback and on the Kindle. It’s also listed for pre-order at other online retailers like Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Indiebound. If/when it becomes available for pre-order on any other e-readers or sites, I’ll let you know.

My birthday request
And since tomorrow is my birthday (my 30th birthday, oh my!), I would consider it a personal early birthday present if anyone who intends to pre-order the book on Amazon does it today. How high can we push that sales rank? Can we make it one of the biggest gainers in books today? I don’t know, but I thought it was worth the awkwardness I feel about any type of self-promotion to ask you to try! (In case this might affect your purchasing decision, I don’t think I’m going to sell autographed copies of the book directly this time like I did with Half-Assed. It was a lot of work, and I don’t really have the time for it now that I freelance full-time. And if I do, you can cancel your Amazon order any time before it ships.)

Thanks again for all your support, guys! I noticed that CHOCOLATE & VICODIN was assigned an Amazon book rank a few weeks ago, which means some of you have already pre-ordered it. I really appreciate that and hope you’ll enjoy the book this February!

One Trackback

[...] She writes on her blog Pasta Queen: [...]

barbara raab • October 26, 2010 at 8:12 am

I just got an iPad as a gift and would love to try the e-reader feature. Any clue about whether I can pre-order it in e-reader form? I guess I can try to figure that out myself. :) Anyway, love the cover and congratulations on your SECOND (!) book. Oh, and happy birthday. It is all uphill from here.

Mandy • October 26, 2010 at 8:26 am

That’s not vicodin on that cupcake. It’s generic benadryl and what looks like melatonin. I only know because it is part of my evening cocktail regimen. I still love it! Vicodin is a huge horse pill. Not that I’m an addict or pharmacist.

I can’t wait to read it! Judging by the cover, it should be great!

Shea • October 26, 2010 at 8:30 am

@barbara raab – I just pre-ordered for my Kindle, so you can pre-order e-book versions :-) Amazon is pretty good about that stuff, if it’s intended for electronic release.

Sarah Fowler • October 26, 2010 at 8:37 am

I just preordered on my Kindle!

@barbara raab – The iBookstore and Amazon Kindle bookstore are not the same format of ebook. You will only be able to preorder it if the publishers have made it available in iBooks… OR download the Kindle app for your iPad and preorder it there!

Kyle • October 26, 2010 at 8:46 am

Yay, happy birthday!!! I’ll be pre-ordering one for my KindleT Go Chocolate and Vicodin, go!

Kimberly • October 26, 2010 at 8:58 am

Speaking as someone that is still done not with becoming a former obese person that cover is beyond tempting. I can’t wait to read the book inside.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese • October 26, 2010 at 9:18 am

I love the cover…I would pick that book up in a bookshop based on the cover alone! Good luck with the book launch. I predict much success for you! Can’t wait to get it!

Mom • October 26, 2010 at 9:47 am

OH, so clever and pretty. Just like the author!!!

PastaQueen • October 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

Thanks, everyone, for letting us know if you can preorder on the Kindle. And thank you so much for doing so!

@Mandy – Yeah, I looked up what the pills were by reading the numbers etched on them, so I knew they were antihistamines. Since Vicodin is a prescription drug, I’d assume it would have been difficult for the photographer to get some legally. I don’t think docs prescribe drugs for photo shoots :)

Kalynskitchen • October 26, 2010 at 10:22 am

Congratulations! I like the look of the cover. Just pre-ordered it, and happy birthday! (Wow, how does it feel to be so young? Just thought I’d ask to put it in perspective for you!)

Tracy • October 26, 2010 at 10:27 am

I love the cover! (The fonts are beautiful. Any idea what they are? :D)

If I had any money of my own, I would, of course, pre-order it like I did with Half-Assed. I will, however, put it on my wishlist for Christmas, and hope that my parents or sisters are kind enough to listen to my Wishlist Rankings when I put this at “HIGHEST”. (And if I get any money BEFORE then, I will order it and take it OFF my wishlist ;))

And congrats! SECOND BOOK! I can’t wait to read it.

Amanda • October 26, 2010 at 10:37 am

I love the cover! It really does look delectable, pills and all. And happy happy birthday.

Katharine • October 26, 2010 at 10:38 am

Happy, happy birthday, PQ! And congrats on a marvelous book cover!

Jim • October 26, 2010 at 11:25 am

I would totally eat that.

Please bring some to Fitbloggin’.

Happy Birthday, too!

Wendy • October 26, 2010 at 11:36 am

Congratulations! I just pre-ordered from Amazon. Have a very Happy Birthday!

Mindy • October 26, 2010 at 11:53 am

I just pre-ordered. Happy Birthday! We share a birthday but I’m going to be 50…..double oh my!

fd • October 26, 2010 at 12:15 pm

fabulous cover! both amusing and juice bud stimulating at the same time…and i don’t usually like funny foods.
can’t preorder at the mo (no money) but will when the paycheck comes in. yay for you! 30 is not so old! – it can’t be as i too am turning 30 v v v soon.

Becca • October 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

LOVE IT!!

Erik Goens • October 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Happy early birthday. I have ordered my copy. ; )

Barbara Raab • October 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Hey, how’d your Mom get a comment in bright yellow? :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • October 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I just preordered it! I like the cover but I would have liked to see more chocolate frosting on the cupcake. Can’t wait to get it! Thanks!

Jeanne • October 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Pre-Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great 30th celebration. I just pre-ordered your book for my Kindle. You should be very proud of what you’ve accomplished. Continued success and happiness and maybe travel. I loved your travel blog.

PastaQueen • October 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm

@Barbara Raab – My mom is special :) She gets her own commenting style, like me!

Manic Mommy • October 26, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I cannot believe I have been gone this long that you have a BOOK OUT!! And a DELICIOUS LOOKING BOOK!!!!! So excited to read it!!!! Hoping the headaches are gone!

Quix • October 26, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Loooove the cover. Also, happy birthday! :) 30s are awesome…

Debby • October 26, 2010 at 3:01 pm

@PastaQueen – If I hire you to design my website, may I have a special commenting style, too? :-) (Just kidding, haha. Special styles are only for mothers and Trix are for kids.) Love the book cover and pre-ordered it at Amazon. Here’s hoping that your sales break all kinds of records!

rebecca • October 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

love love love love the cover and you’re right…i rarely clean my screen!

Happy EARLY 30th!!!!

Danielle • October 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Looks awesome, you must be so proud!!
Well done.

Elizabeth • October 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Whoo! Love the cover! Even if I didn’t know you/like your writing, that cover would make me pick it up off a display table at a store. Congrats!

And happy birthday! I hope that you do something special to celebrate.

Leora • October 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Super exciting. I read Half of Me as soon as it came out, but lost it due to lending it out too much. Am so excited to read your next one. I’ve been following your blog religiously since your brother’s wedding a few years ago. Amazing stuff.

Leora • October 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I mean Half Assed!

Lurker • October 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I don’t like that on Amazon the blurb (below) describes you as still having the headache 4 months from now! Can’t we hope it’s gone by then??? Even if your headache were gone by the publication date, I’d still want to read the book!

“Jennette Fulda went to bed on February 17, 2008, with a headache, and more than three years later, it still hasn’t gone away.”

Kate • October 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I just ordered it for my iPad – and I agree, that cover is awesome and makes me seriously want a chocolate cupcake. Happy Birthday!

Jill • October 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the cover! Just pre-ordered my Kindle copy! Hope your 30th b-day is a great day :)

Minda • October 26, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Love it! So happy it’s available in Kindle edition.

Ms Pj Geek • October 26, 2010 at 9:34 pm

What I want to know is, Will you get to be on the morning tv shows talking about your book?

Happy Birthday

Barbara raab • October 26, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Just prreordered – yay!

Merry • October 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm

So, only your mom gets a special comment style? Heck, I’m special. People tell me so all the time.

Oh wait. They actually say that I’m “special.” It’s different if it’s got quotation marks around it.

Sigh. Off to Amazon…

Alison • October 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm

CONGRATS!!!!
And that birthday request – consider it done! Happy Birthday!! (And I heart my Kindle)!

Jules • October 27, 2010 at 6:01 am

Happy Birthday! :)

Lanie • October 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Yummy! Can I have extra sprinkles on mine? lol

I’m sure it’s going to be a great book and I hope your birthday is as great as you are! Enjoy!

Tabitha @ Just Weighing In • October 27, 2010 at 7:29 am

I agree – good enough to eat! And congrats to you on the book!

Cindy • October 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

I cannot wait to read this. As another woman who has suffered from a chronic persistent daily headache for 4 years, it is “exciting” to be able to read something by someone who understands what it is like.

Good luck!

Holly Gee • October 27, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Happy Birthday!!! I just pre-ordered your book and I can’t wait to read it!

mom taxi julie • October 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

That looks awesome! Very “come buy me” :)

Tina • October 28, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Any word on whether Barnes & Noble will carry it in NookBook form?

I mean… I know Barnes & Noble is rumored to be going under, but I think the new Nook will give iPad a run for it’s money so the bookstore giant can stick around a few more years.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • October 29, 2010 at 10:59 am

The cover ROCKS!!!! So inviting, on ALL levels, brilliant!!!

PastaQueen • October 29, 2010 at 11:34 am

@Tina – I just got a message from my editor, and yes, the book will be available on Nook and all digital reader formats.

Tina • October 29, 2010 at 7:10 pm

@PastaQueen – Yay!!!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.