Chocolate & Vicodin: Page proofs

When I was a kid, the UPS man used to bring me packages filled with Christmas gifts. Now he drops off my book proofs instead, but opening the manila envelopes they come in feels a lot like unwrapping presents.

Chocolate & Vicodin page proofs

Yesterday the doorbell rang and I dashed for the door as fast as any of my cats do when chasing ghosts around the apartment. (Mice ghosts, I’m sure.) I never know when book proofs are coming, so I’m always slightly surprised when they appear. The last set of proofs was for copyediting, so they simply contained the text of the book, double-spaced and printed like a really long term paper. Once we whipped the text into its most perfect version, it was handed to a book designer. The designer took that text and laid it out all nice and pretty like it will appear in the final published product.

The proofs I received yesterday are of that version which includes the copyright notice, the publisher’s logo, and all those little details that real books have. (I love what they did with the “i” in Vicodin!) Now I get to review the work again and look for any errors in the text or formatting. It’s also my final chance to make any corrections before the book is sent to the printing press (aside from any last-minute frantic calls to my editor in the middle of the night if I suddenly realize we misplaced a comma).

Chocolate & Vicodin

As a designer, I get a little thrill looking at the crop marks in the margins and reading the file name printed at the bottom of each page. It looks like they used Adobe InDesign CS5 to typeset the book, which is the industry standard, and they made it all fit on 294 pages. We keep getting closer and closer to the pub date, so it won’t be too much longer before you can hold a real copy in your hands, or view it on your e-reader. I’ll have to review these proofs first, though, so I guess I should stop blogging and start proofing.

shauna/dg • October 15, 2010 at 8:17 am

SO bloody exciting! Love the font! Counting down the days, PQ… can’t wait to read :)

Kelly • October 15, 2010 at 8:40 am

Just curious, which do you make more money on? Physical copy or ebook?

Jules • October 15, 2010 at 9:43 am

Looking forward to reading the new book, and I have to admit, it’s been nice to read your more frequent blog entries the past week or two. I know you wrote recently about scaling back on entries in the interest of quality vs. quantity, but it’s like a little present to me when there’s a new entry to read. So, thanks! :)

Shea • October 15, 2010 at 10:06 am

I can’t wait to read it. Happy proofing.

Mom • October 15, 2010 at 10:22 am

I am one of the select few who have been priviledged to read the new book due to my unique relationship with the author. My totally unbiased opinion is that it is FANTASTIC!!!! Yall will thoroughly enjoy reading it! And I love the cover art on the new book–gets the idea across and brings a smile to the beholder’s face.

Merry • October 15, 2010 at 11:34 am

Excellent! Nothing like an unbiased review. I’m sold :)

mom taxi julie • October 15, 2010 at 11:35 am

That is so exciting!!

Becca • October 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm

will it be available through B&N or just Amazon? i have a nook so I want to KNOW!!!!!

Julia • October 15, 2010 at 1:04 pm

It should be ‘Nutella and Vicodin’ cause since you blogged about Nutella last summer when you were in Paris my family has been thru a 100 jars at least.
Everytime I see it on the counter I think of you cause before that the last time I had Nutella was in HS a long long long time ago.

Have fun proof reading :)

Jackie • October 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I hope you will do a book reading and or signing either at the Chapel Hill library or at one of the many book stores in the area. That would be so much fun.

Zandria • October 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm

It’s so exciting to read about the progress of your book, Jennette. I’m sure it’s a tremendous amount of work, but how rewarding as well! Very, very cool.

PastaQueen • October 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm

@Kelly – For HALF-ASSED, I get a higher royalty on the ebook than on the paperback. For CHOCOLATE & VICODIN, I’m not sure which will be higher because the contract is different.

@Becca – I’m not sure if it will be available on Nook or not. I’ll let you know when I find out.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • October 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm

This may be WAY too personal of a question but roughly how much DO you make on a book? Obviously it depends how popular it is but I really have NO idea how much is made on books. I’ll be buying one though! Loved the first one.

PastaQueen • October 15, 2010 at 4:41 pm

@Debbi Does Dinner Healthy – There isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer to this. If you contribute a story to an anthology, you might only make a couple hundred bucks on a book. If you’re incredibly famous or Oprah loves you, you can make millions. Most everyone else makes something in between those extremes.

Debby • October 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I love the look, and the “i” in Vicodin done up as a pill capsule is so cool! I can’t wait to read your new book. Yippee!

Terra • October 15, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I can’t wait it’s getting closer!!! Congrats to you on another great accomplishment!!!

Peggy • October 15, 2010 at 7:55 pm

@Jules – I agree with you. I always feel deprived when a new entry isn’t up. It’s such a treat to read a new entry! It’s a good day when Jennette writes one up for us.

; ] Thanks, Jennette! You rock! Can’t wait for the new book! I’ll order it as soon as it’s available. Keep us in the release-date loop, okay?

Kimberly • October 15, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I can’t wait to read it. You are such a great writer.

I read Half Assed a few times a year just to keep me inspired in my own quest to lose 1/2 my body weight. It was you that kept that spark of hope alive through this here blog. I may not comment a lot but I am especially happy to see a new PQ entry show up in Google Reader.

Lanie • October 16, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I simply cannot wait another moment!

Kelly • October 16, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Just a bit of business, it appears that your RSS feed to MyYahoo is broken. I’ve tried re-subscribing to no avail. The last post that appears there is Word Recycler. I have to click through to your blog to find out the latest. Just thought you’d like to know.

PastaQueen • October 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

@Kelly – I was able to subscribe to the feed in MyYahoo and get the latest headlines. Try deleting the feed and then adding it again. Otherwise, I can’t really do anything about it. The feed is fine, so this is MyYahoo’s problem.

Quix • October 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I’m behind the curve *blush*. After I finish this book series I’m working on, the next thing on my list is to devour the books of the bloggers I love. Yours is among the first on my list. ;) Good luck with the proofing!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • October 21, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Please make it available on the NOOK!!!!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada