Visiting the farmers market for I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter

Disclosure: I received ICBINB coupons, a Flip cam, and a gift card to create this video and pay for groceries.

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter contacted me recently to ask if I’d like to visit a local farmers market to gather items for a lunch party with friends afterwards—created with recipes using ICBINB, or course. I turn down a lot of PR offers, but this sounded like fun, and I had a tub of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter in my fridge already, so I do actually use their product. I also tend to be a recluse, so I thought this would be a good way to force myself outside and see what Chapel Hill has to offer.

There are several farmers markets near me. The Carrboro Farmers Market seemed to be the most popular one, but I heard parking was a mess. So I decided to go to the South Estes Market instead since it’s held in a mall parking lot with plenty of spaces. It was also on the way between my place and my brother and sister-in-law’s house, who I invited to come with me.

You can follow my adventures in the video above, which I probably spent far more time editing than was really required. (At least that Digital Video 101 class I took in college finally paid off.) I did have lots of fun at the market, even though I was a little anxious about having to film people and ask them questions. (See above, recluse.) Strangely enough, I really enjoyed it and I learned a lot of things I would never have discovered otherwise. I guess it’s good to move out of your comfort zone once in a while (says the girl who just moved away from half her friends and family).

As for the ICBINB, it tasted good on bread and corn on the cob. (And damn, that was some good bread by The Farm Fairy.) Their pitch is that it has less saturated fat than butter, no hydrogenated oils (those dreaded TRANS FATS!), and no cholesterol. I’d never used it in the spray pump bottles before, but it made it a lot easier to butter my corn than it was with a knife. I tried it on some popcorn later, and it added flavor without making the popcorn too soggy. So, I feel fine recommending their product, and hopefully you found the video to be entertaining enough. You can learn more at the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter web site, including a contest to win a grill basket and a recipe library. There’s also an ICBINB YouTube Channel.

In case you’re interested, here is a list of vendors I spoke to. BTW, if someone was kind enough to talk to me and/or let me record them, I bought something at their stall or threw money in their banjo case. I had to pitch my book at book fairs, so I know what it’s like sitting behind that table.

Warning: Tech-girl ramblings ahead
The software that comes with the FlipCam wasn’t advanced enough for the editing I wanted to do, so to edit this video I used a trial version of Videopad Video Editor. I’d give it a C+ (and no, that’s not a computer science joke). It was able to open the MP4 files that the FlipCam exported, and I was able to split the audio tracks away from the video. However, if I tried replacing a video clip or inserting one into the middle of the timeline, all my placed audio effects would because misaligned. Also, when I exported, several of the title frames went missing, so I had to encode it and then edit that and encode it again, which is why the video is a little lower quality than what I’d prefer. Anyone got recommendations for a better, free video editing application for Windows? I considered Microsoft Movie Maker first, but it wouldn’t open the MP4 files.

Sherry R • August 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I love, love the ICBINB products. I don’t even know when or why I started buying the tubs years ago. I started using the spray bottles a few years back when I did Weight Watchers and I still use it all the time. (In fact I just used the spray on my lunch about 20 minutes ago – grilled chicken breast on an english muffin. )

Did you boil your corn with the husks still on? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it cooked that way. Is that how you were taught to do it? Or is there some other reason? I wonder if I was taught the wrong way! LOL

PastaQueen • August 9, 2010 at 1:24 pm

@Sherry R – We grilled them with the husks on so they wouldn’t try out. We just soaked them first, no boiling.

Julia • August 9, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Have been using ICBINB for years, botht he tubs and spray – looks like you had fun and got you checking out your new digs :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • August 9, 2010 at 3:46 pm

What fun!! Cool video! The music was a bit loud so it was hard to hear the voices. The kebabs looked awesome! I hardly ever make those. I love ICBINB too, we always have it in the frig! Thanks!

Maris • August 9, 2010 at 4:43 pm

The farmers market and ICBINB. Oh, the irony. Haha!

Skinny Emmie • August 9, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Haven’t watched the video yet, but had a video editing tip: If you open up the Flip software, you can right click on the video and choose the “Export” option. This exports a copy to the specified location that can then be imported into Windows Movie Maker for editing. I think it exports as an .avi file, which is importable into Windows Movie Maker- I do it all the time!
Now, off to watch…

PastaQueen • August 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm

@Skinny Emmie – Ah, thanks for the tip!

Debby • August 9, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Oh great, now I’m hungry! :-)

~liz • August 9, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Loved the vid. Keepin’ it real!

Nory Roth • August 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

Wow PQ!!! Now you’re right up there with Fabio!! Cool video, great editing, looked delicious. (I think you and your brother could pass for twins.)

Jackie • August 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Jennette, If you drive past the Carrboro Farmer’s Market, the Town Hall and then the Fire Station you’ll come to a huge gym parking lot. We usually park there to save dealing with the traffic in the Town Hall parking lot. Or we’ll park at Harris Teeter and walk. It’s fun to see all the people walking around with their bags of produce. And we either have breakfast at Johnny’s which is just a few blocks further down the street from the gym parking lot where the Parlez-Vous Crepe truck parks from 9 – 2 and you can sit outside and listen to music and eat and drink. Or we’ll have the breakfast buffet at Weaver Street Market. There is a ton more produce at the Carrboro Market.

Pam • August 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm

So why does the ICBINB spray contain NO calories. I’m sure the tub of ICBINB has some calories, although I don’t know for sure, because I have never bought any of it. But no calories in the spray just seems too good to be true. However, that’s not stopping me from using it on my sweet corn!

PastaQueen • August 17, 2010 at 11:11 am

@Pam – The serving size for the spray is one squirt, which is so small that the calories etc. get rounded down to 0. You can get the nutritional info for the tubs and other products here: http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/Products/Original.aspx

Angela • August 25, 2010 at 3:36 pm

It looks like you had fun making the video! I just bought some of the ICBINBS and can’t wait to use it again (been awhile).