Things never happen the same way twice

2010 Calendar

My neurologist told me to lose weight and I thought, “So, it has come to this, has it?” The last time a doctor told me to lose weight, I weighed about 350 pounds and was preparing to have my gallbladder removed. To make the day even more perfect, the neurologist’s nurse had weighed me on one of those old scales with big metal counterweights that slide left to right. I thought the digital revolution had rid us of those scales and the drawn out torture of watching the nurse politely start at a lower number and then slide, slide, slide, slide you up to a much bigger number.

I know people have various reactions to a doctor telling them they’re fat, but my first thought was, “Yeah, of course I need to lose weight.” Let us not forget the pant-splitting incident in January precipitated by the 50-pounds of headache weight gain (which I actually had forgotten until I was searching the archives for something else and found that entry). And losing weight has been on my mind for at least two years, ever since the headache screwed up so many of my routines. I do find it bizarrely twisted that I gained so much weight because of the headache, and without it I would have no reason to be at a neurologist’s office nor on his ancient scale to begin with. My life is a real-world logic problem.

So, this August I have been making changes, which was another reason I decided to move to Chapel Hill. It is easier to be healthy here. People ride bikes, not just for fun, but to get places. There are walking trails. There are sidewalks. There are trees and creeks and butterflies flitting about all over the place. It is effing idyllic. I fully expect an animated deer to follow me to the grocery store any day now. And now that it’s not 100-freakin-degrees every afternoon, it’s quite lovely to walk around town.

I have been walking daily for almost two weeks now, and I swear to God I try to talk myself out of it every morning. After I roll out of bed and dispense cat food, I sit on the couch for about an hour watching TV and then sit at my laptop going through emails until I eventually put my head down on my desk. Why? Because my doctor also made me give up caffeine and I do not know how human beings remained conscious before noon without it. Actually, I do know—by walking. Going for a 40-minute walk is the only thing that wakes me up now that I can’t suck down coffee. Last Friday I was going to give myself a day off for recovery, but eventually pushed myself out the door because I knew I’d flop on my bed and go back to sleep if I didn’t. And since I haven’t mastered the art of doing work in my sleep, consciousness is required for my continuing financial solvency.

Along with the caffeine killing, my doctor has made me give up artificial sweeteners and preservatives. My neurologist is a whole lot of fun, isn’t he? At my next appointment I suspect he’ll ban dancing and I’ll have to form a secret underground dance club for migraineurs. The diet changes mean I have to eat real food, which means I’ve had to start cooking again. I’ve also had to use real sugar or real honey as sweeteners, which I’ll admit FREAKED ME OUT. I have a sweet tooth, and I was concerned about how I was going to make my food palatable without drizzling it in 50 billion calories. However, as much as I hate to admit this, and I really do hate to admit it because I don’t want it to be true, I think my cravings have decreased now that I’m eating more real food and less Lean Cuisines and Diet Dr. Pepper. (I still love you, Dr. P! Come back to me!) So Goddamn this diet for being good for me. I hate you healthy eating!!

Reflecting on the past month and comparing it to my big weight loss between 2005-2007, I notice one big difference. I am much more resentful about healthy living than I was five years ago. The first time was a happy, fun adventure of self-discovery and change. This time, it’s been a drag-me-by-my-pony-tail-down the trail, begrudging return to healthy habits. I’ve haven’t been doing it because I particularly want to, but because I know I NEED to. And I do know it’s good for me, and I honestly do feel better because of these changes, but Dear Lord I miss my coffee and my sodas and sitting on the couch all day. I suppose this is how people who give up smoking must feel. They know it’s for the best, but they’d still kill a hobo for one last cigarette.

All of which reminds me of the time I saw the film Prince Caspian a while back, and the lion Aslan is talking with Lucy, and according to the Internet she says “Aslan, why didn’t you come roaring in and save us like last time?” and he say “Things never happen the same way twice, dear one.” And when I watched that I paused for a moment and thought, Damn, that stupid fucking lion, but he’s right. Things don’t happen the same way twice. The way I lose weight today is not the same way I lost weight five years ago. I can’t just repeat the things I did before. I’m a different person now, who got a headache, traveled to Europe, and moved to another state. What worked for 25-year-old Jennette is not necessarily what will work for 58-days-until-she’s-30-years-old Jennette. I don’t feel the same way about it all as I did then.

That is the challenge of it all. What works now won’t work forever. You have to keep changing and adapting, because life keeps changing whether you like it or not. So I will take my morning walks and cook food on a stove instead of in the microwave. I don’t like it in the same way that I did five years ago, but I’m starting not to loathe it with the intensity of my back gas burner. I might even start to like it again. Who knows? And if I see that damn talking lion on one of my walks, I’ll tell him thanks.

ChrissyS • August 30, 2010 at 8:16 am

Very proud of you for taking a walk to get you going in the am. [since you had to give up coffee.] Seems like a great idea; although an effort to implement, for sure. Who wouldn’t prefer a similar feel from simply drinking something.
So yeah, not the easy route for sure, but impressive. Great job.

Oh, and this gives ME something to ponder now..(thanks a lot. haha) Not a coffee drinker, but I sure have a hard time waking up! Have to get up early w/my dd for school now. And yes, I still have weight to lose, so I guess it could be a win win..I usually walk or workout later in day.

Hope you get some headache free results to make all these changes worthwhile. Do you think it is harder this time and you aren’t feeling in to it bc this time felt more like an order from Dr., not your choice? [of clean eating.]

Debbi • August 30, 2010 at 8:26 am

Amen, amen, amen. I can’t tell you how much time I’ve wasted being frustrated because what worked BEFORE doesn’t work NOW. It has made me crazy, until I finally learned to just accept that truth and move on. In January I thought I might be able to lose one pound a week. Turns out I can lose one pound a month. It’s still a downward trend, and it’s teaching me boatloads of patience!

barbara raab • August 30, 2010 at 8:32 am

Hi Jennette,
I really liked this post alot. Since it was through reading your blog that I discovered Kalyn’s Kitchen, I wanted to remind you that she posts lots of great recipes that are pretty simple to make and would be consistent with your current way of eating. I have come to love making most of my own meals (except when I have the good fortune to go out to some fabulous restaurant, and/or order sushi, which I am never going to even attempt to make), and I predict that is what will happen to you — once you give up “fake food” (which includes most food in boxes), it’s hard to go back. One day you wake up and realize you don’t even want to. Looking forward to the next book — I think it’s out soon, right?

Lanie • August 30, 2010 at 9:04 am

I bet he lets you keep dancing, but tells you to stop watching TV. What a jerk. I’d totally take it out on him.

Mandy • August 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

We gave up all artificial stuff a couple of years ago because the colors, flavors, preservatives, and sweeteners were causing my son to go ballistic. My theory (which your neurologist seems to agree with) is that these petroleum based items cause migraines that a 6 year old cannot articulate and causes him to become easily agitated.

I did have something the other day (I cannot remember what it was though) that was not prepared fresh. It tasted “off” to me. I really wish I could remember what it was! But I do remember thinking, “I could make this better at home!” It is amazing the flavor explosions you will experience when cooking from fresh, simple ingredients!

BTW, I met your aunt yesterday! I’m not stalking you either ;)

Lisa • August 30, 2010 at 9:29 am

LOVED this post! I could have written it 58 days before I turned 30, and I could have written it today, 81 days before I turn 50. You absolutely do have to keep reinventing the wheel to make it continue to work (and obviously if I’m still working at it, I’ve had my share of backslides along with the successes). But the learning curve gets shorter every time you recommitt to getting back on the bandwagon. And the spaces of time off the bandwagon get shorter, because it’s so much less of a hassle to come to your senses sooner rather than later. Do not despair Jeanette! This time might not be so life-changing, but it will also not be so much of a paradigm shift for you. Happy trails to you!

Julie T. • August 30, 2010 at 9:38 am

Thanks for that. You hit the nail on the head for me, again and and again and again…

Sheri • August 30, 2010 at 9:39 am

I really enjoyed this post. It is true, things don’t work the same as they did before, success doesn’t come around exactly how we would like it to. I am close to that 350 mark, and I cannot tell you how many times I have ‘restarted’ in the past five years.

The lowest I’ve gotten in that entire time as about 325. The battle is more with my inner tantrum than anything else. That and that fact that right now success in the weight loss arena seems like nothing but constant work. I guess in some ways that Lazy gene rules the roust far too often. Then there’s the aspect of doing it alone. Blogging is someting I do, but comments are very few and I believe readership low. Recently had to restart the website too after I got locked out of it, so with that is the relaunch of my weight loss attempt. Not going like I’d hope.

You mentioned headaches. I get migraines too, and have found that food additives like monosodium glutamate (MSG) and excessive salt are behind them a lot. Then theres the toxic ones that disperse substantially after a good trip to the bathroom to alleviate more than liquid.

What I’ve been doing more now is working with clean eating. Theres a Great book about clean eating by Tosca Reno who puts things into perspective in ways I wish I’d seen five, ten, even fifteen years ago.

Rambled enough… love your humor lady!

Lisa • August 30, 2010 at 9:40 am

Wait – forgot to say – I might not have it licked entirely, but by golly I’m turning 50 at a much lower weight than when I turned 40. And as with you – lot o’ water over the dam in that decade besides just weight control!

Rhonda • August 30, 2010 at 9:54 am

I feel just as cranky about the whole weight/healthy thing! But the thing is, I WANT to feel better and look better. So I ‘spose I better suck it up and get back at it like you are…. sigh.

LISA- you are dead on right! Thanks for that perspective.

Mindy • August 30, 2010 at 10:12 am

Great post and very timely for me right now as I climb back on the wagon for the bazillionith time. I have a new attitude this time and hope to just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Fake it ’til you make it!

RG • August 30, 2010 at 10:15 am

Does stevia count as artificial sweetener? How about agave? Both of them are “natural”; I like using TJ’s stevia because it comes in a tiny super-strength bottle; an aspirin sized bottle has 600 servings, no messy paper. I empathize with that morning procrastination, I hate trying to run first thing in the morning even though that’s the only bearable time in this sweltering summer. And once I’m off schedule it’s a bear to get myself back on it.

Carbzilla • August 30, 2010 at 10:55 am

Awww big hugs!

(And Hooray for Lisa, who, like me, is over 40!)

I’d say you’re coming out of the Inner Brat phase. I’m dragging myself out of it at the moment. The IB does NOT want to have to do this again! I fed mine a LOT of cake for my birthday and now it has to shut up for a while so I can get back on track.

Of course there’s resentment, but you almost have to treat it like a new thing to overcome that. You KNOW you can do this. Go there and go forward! We’re with you!

Lyn • August 30, 2010 at 11:01 am

Yeah, it kinda sucks when ‘weight loss’ becomes a Thing that changes our lives and won’t let us do stuff we want to do. But the results will feel good, anyway.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • August 30, 2010 at 11:11 am

I LOVE this post! Damn, losing weight 7 months ago is not the same as today, excellent insight! Curious, has the headache dissipated with the lack of articifical stuff?

Anne • August 30, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I had 3 years of migraines….they went from once-a-month to every-other-day by the end. I thought I was going insane. They were “curl up in a ball in a dark closet and sob” sorts of headaches and they really affected my health and lifestyle.

Then, this last Jaunary, I dropped gluten / wheat from my diet and the migraines began to go away and after a full month or so off of wheat, they were gone. Heaven!

Of course, stupid me, decided to test it – I had a muffin and the next day had a massive migraine. OK, body…OK…I hear you. No More Wheat. LOL Best of all, I lost 30 lbs.

So yeah, I know how your feel about the whole “give up stuff to get rid of headache and gain back your sanity” thing. Good luck!

Anne

Trish • August 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Damn you Jennette but I guess you are correct! No it won’t be the same this time. I too lost half of me back in 2000 but got sick and let a lot of it come back. Truth is nothing changes if nothing changes. I’ve been carrying that motto with me for sometime now but had not applied it to my current weight loss journey.
Thanks (LOL I think!) for the reminder!

Jackie • August 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Jennette,
I live in Chapel Hill and now that the kids are back in school and the temperatures are a little bit lower we have started up our morning walks again. If you feel like a change of pace once in a while you are welcome to join us. We walk either in Duke Forest off Whitfield Road or on the trail by the Church across the street from Chapel Hill High School. Drop me an e-mail if you are interested and I’ll give you more details. I know that for me walking with someone else makes walks more fun than walking alone.

Kristin • August 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I read your book recently after I recently found your blog. I have never read a more inspirational weight loss journey book – ever! I am so sorry that you are having to re-create the wheel, but I am sure that this next journey will be inspirational to even more people. Especially those that live with a chronic condition. I wish you much success and look forward to following your journey.

Jenny • August 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Good luck with it all. I hope by eating clean and healthy you’ll feel much better and it will feel worth it! I think kalyns kitchen has a lot of nice healthy recipes, plus I love 101 cookbooks.

I ride my bike a lot and actually really enjoy it, I hope you find other exercise you enjoy…

Donna • August 30, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I’m rooting for you, PQ. I’ve been a fan for a long time and will enjoy reading about your journey this time because your blog is always so insightful, entertaining, and sometime both. :-)

Allison • August 30, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for making my day happy. I look forward to your posts at feeling that I can relate to your ups and downs of life.

Magnarama • August 30, 2010 at 5:01 pm

In addition to joining in with all the “Go girl!” choristers, I have to add vigorous applause for your prose skills, Jennette. Your writing just keeps getting better and better!

This post could be a textbook example of modern casual writing form. Well done.

…Maggie

Karen • August 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm

And I thought I was alone. I lost a lot of weight 5+years ago (though nothing compared to you). I still needed to lose more, but then the cancer diagnosis came. Along with the steroids to improve appetite (the LAST thing in this world I needed). Now I am back (of course with the friends those pounds made while away from me), but I just can’t get serious about losing the weight. The thought is just more than I can bare – and my health is suffering for it. Thank you for this post (and the other comments) where I see I am not alone.

Debby • August 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Aw, PQ, hang in there. {{{{{hugs}}}}}. I’ve got 3 doctors on my butt telling me to lose weight. As one so severely put it, “This is your life we’re talking about here.” I don’t think doctors have any idea how hard it is to lose weight or do a lot of the other things they tell us to do. I hope your headaches go away. Good for you for taking charge of your life. I hope you know how much you help me and others just by being you and sharing so much of yourself on this blog. Take care.

Amy • August 30, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I read somewhere that an apple is supposed to wake you up better than caffeine, but maybe that’s a bit of healthy eating conspiracy.

Mich • August 30, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Sometimes I think that “lose weight” is the doctor’s “get out of doing work” card.

A fat person walks in to the doctor’s office, and whatever the complaint, the response is “lose weight”. A thin person walks in presenting with the exact same condition, and suddenly the doc remembers that part of his/her job that involves listening to the patient, doing a thorough history, ordering appropriate tests, and not assuming that the visible is the only thing that could possibly be wrong.

To mangle the blessing for the Tzar from Fiddler on the Roof: “God bless doctors and keep them, far away from me.”

Lydia C • August 30, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I love the flavor of coffee yet can’t have the caffeine. I’ve gotten used to drinking decaf over the years . . . maybe someday you can drink decaf with a similar appreciation for the drink that you used to have for the “real” stuff? Drink it at night, when you can enjoy the flavor, yet you know it’s not going to keep you up, and in the p.m. you don’t need its kick.

shutchings • August 30, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I totally agree with your sentiment. But do you remember who Aslan represents? His eyebrows might rise upon reading your colorful language. But that’s probably just the headache talking. :)

Merry • August 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm

@shutchings – headaches are atheists. Well known phenomenon :)

Mrs. Thighs • August 30, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Loved this post. Having lost and gained weight multiple times, I’ve so been there. It’s frustrating, isn’t it? I have to say, though, that eating real food is working for me. I tended to eat a lot of fake sugars and boxed meals and I definitely started to get more energy when I stopped. Keep up the walking — it ought to be beautiful there in the fall.

Bonniecello • August 31, 2010 at 1:34 am

Came across a Feng Shui book over the weekend that said:

Cooking at least 10 minutes a day will lead to a healthy and prosperous life.

Makes sense! No eating out (saves $$) and cooking usually means healthier choices.

I am going for ‘at least 10 minutes a day’ — i can do that!

Laurie • August 31, 2010 at 6:33 am

Beautiful entry, PastaQueen! Great writing ~

Natasha • August 31, 2010 at 6:45 am

Well, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks it is so much different the second time around. My first time losing weight was easy, I had no kids and I could go to classes to exersise every evening, I could walk or bike whenever I wanted (weather permitting) and I could have time to prepare the healthy meals I love to cook.

Now, 10 years and 2 kids later, my life does not seem to entitle me to the same freedoms as it once did. I have no energy or time or want to do most of these things any more but I know I need to do something to take off the extra pounds put on by 10 years and 2 kids!!! I have not lost anything in a year and it is frustrating. I guess if I look on the bright side, I have been maintaining weight for the last year. Unfortunately not at the weight I truly want to be at.

I guess it is now time to re-invent the wheel and find out what will work for my weight loss this time around. At least I have the tools I need, I just have to learn to use them differently!!!

Anna • August 31, 2010 at 8:41 am

I love that you won’t go down (haha) without a fight.

Fuck. Just realised you are 12 days YOUNGER than me, isn’t anyone older than me any more?!?!?

chris • August 31, 2010 at 12:44 pm

what a great, thought-provoking post! we are working on it to.

about turning 30? I have LOVED my 30′s! I’m more confident, feel comfortable with who I am and in my own skin. I’d like to give you an early welcome to the club :)

Roni • August 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm

WOW LOVE this post. Here I am pregnant wanting it to to be the same experience as the first time. But it’s not. I’m different. The baby will be different. Everything will be different. ANd that’s O…. K…..

And like Anna… Jesus… you are 4 and half years YOUNGER THAN ME. Ugh. I’m so freakin’ old.

Debby • August 31, 2010 at 6:20 pm

@Anna – If it makes you feel any better, I’ll ‘fess up to being 57. But I feel like a 10-year-old in my mind. :-)

R • August 31, 2010 at 8:54 pm

PQ, as a long time fan, can i request a post on why you stopped posting your weight?

Angela • August 31, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I have to say I am glad you are working on getting back on the wagon. I lost 90 lbs a couple of years ago by figuring out some health issues, running and eating very healthfully. Then I was diagnosed with cancer–it was stage one so I didn’t have to go through all the terrible treatments that make one’s hair fall out but I did have to take a drug with the main side effect of weight gain. They actually give this drug to the chemo cancer patients to help them feel like eating. So, I gained about 75 lbs.

Now I am off that drug but it is really hard to get back into my old weight loss regimen. I think being fat again contributed to hurting my foot so I can’t run (and I LOVED running, couldn’t wait to get out there) so I am stuck at the gym on the elliptical.

So, I am looking to you for inspiration :) Or, at least someone who understands my frustration and can articulate it well.

Cristy • August 31, 2010 at 9:43 pm

5 things:

1) You are right, just thinking about quitting smoking makes me want to kill a hobo.

2) I always thought that lion was just a little too sanctimonious for my taste.

3) I miss you!

4) I know you can do this whole weight loss thing, dude. You are my inspiration…I know yr probably sick of hearing about how inspiring you are, but just accept it. You are awesome. You can do it. I am sure of it.

5) Did I mention that I miss you?

Osa Morena • September 1, 2010 at 1:13 am

You got me with this post. Thanks for articulating what I was starting to figure out. I’m not the same person as(any of the times) when I lost weight before, why should the weight-loss process be the same? And even a sanctimonious lion could be telling the truth occasionally. Sending good thoughts and encouragement to you!

Lisa Johnson • September 1, 2010 at 11:29 am

Wow, such a great post. I was also completely addicted to all things “fake sugar” and also wound up in front of a neurologist. I have a tendency to pass out and stop breathing which was rather upsetting to my family.

When I cut out all the fake stuff and went back to honey and raw sugar (hey if I’m gonna do it, might as well go all the way) I found I needed less sweetener and therefore less calories to get by.

Good luck with the migraine control and the weight loss, we met briefly at FitBloggin’ and I know you’ll get to where you need to.

Lisa

Helen • September 1, 2010 at 1:59 pm

@Roni – PQ is a year younger than MY DAUGHTER so that must make me ancient ;-)

Wendy • September 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm

“BTW, there’ a super great book, Food Rules by Michael Pollan you can read it in about 45 minutes flat and it’s go great tips in there. ”

I love this little book and have also found it very useful.

I’ve have “given up” diet coke many times over the last few years but never for more than a few weeks. I had two diet cokes today and my head is buzzing (and not in a good way). If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this easier without using other artificial sweeteners, I’d love to hear about them!

Fiona • September 1, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I feel your pain! Keep it up though, the resentment will lessen, I promise!!!! It takes 21 days to form a habit I am told!!!! I have not had what I call a full on vomiting migraine since May 09 by cutting out all processed food, sodas etc. 15 Months I am a new person. I also cut out dairy completely so no cakes or cookies along with butter, milk, ice-cream cheese etc. I have the very odd baby migraine, more of a headache compared to what I was having on an almost daily basis. I have lost the 55lbs I put up on the various meds I was prescribed and feel wonderful, bursting with energy. And best of all I have been able to fit back into my pre migraine crisis clothes!!! And this was really just a by product of “the cure”. Skinny Jeans, Fan-bloody-tastic. You will overcome. You really will.

Emily • September 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm

@Amy – I’ve heard that, too. I’ve heard the same thing about a big glass of water in the morning. It’s never worked as well as coffee for me!

Mary • September 3, 2010 at 10:03 am

Question–have you been off the sweetners long enough to notice a difference with the headaches?

For me sweetners along with soy and being lactose intolerant tends to wreak havoc on my intestines. Being lactos ova vegetarian, I’m just not ready to give any of it up. Funny story–earlier in the year I was flirting with a guy at work, who was 23 and I’m 40, so of course the sort-of relationship blew up in my face. I heard through the grapevine that he thought that I was on purposely farting around him, as some sort of revenge.
Anyway, thanx for writing Half Assed, I enjoyed reading it and looking forward to you next book.

Jim Scheibel • September 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Be proud of your accomplishments but also honour that after you conquer one challenge, the next one waits for you…attack it vigour and KNOW that you can do it..thanks for inspiring others…

Happy Friday

lee • September 4, 2010 at 5:57 pm

i hate doctors. you arms could be falling off, stabbing people to death and then reattaching themselves to your shoulders. a doctor would tell you to lose weight. i think “lose some weight” is doctor-speak for “i don’t know what the fuck is wrong.”

Samantha • September 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm

sounds like your neurologists has a lot in common mine is who is also whole barrel of laughs…not. The caffine wasn’t hard for me to give up though as I had already recognized it as a cause of headaches long before I even realized they were migraines. He banned advil and sudaphen however as I was taking what he thought were unsafe doses….my own home my migraine medication is what he called it….my old friends- now forbiden….so sad, they got me through until now.
As far as regaining weight…roger that too. I even trained for a triathlon and still kept gaining, I think some of it is the migraine meds (I have like 5 different ones, 2 I take daily), I know topamax sucks my energy like nothing else I’ve ever experienced, but it does wonders for my head so it’s a trade off….

tess • September 4, 2010 at 9:09 pm

hey, 2 recommendations for you that have helped me:

1) Raw Family/Victoria Boutenko (website/books)for info on green smoothies, eating raw (to what ever degree), drinking green smoothies daily helped me lose weight effortlessly because I lost cravings for sugar, salt, junk food
2) The Ultra Mind Solution (and other books) by Mark Hyman

Zoe D. • September 5, 2010 at 1:16 am

I’m feeling you on both levels, PastaQueen. I had to give up all caffein cold turkey a couple of years ago due to heart arrhythmia. We have a great espresso place on every corner out here in the Pacific Northwest, and the smell makes me want to weep.

I also TRULY GET the change in weather (NOT the geographical kind) that you’re grappling with. I’m coming back after (oh god, this sounds bad) 12 years of being off the healthy lifestyle bandwagon. Whatever it takes to shift gears, PQ, hang in there. I’m doing it right there with you.

mdputhoff • September 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I just want this post to pop up every day to remind me that while I need to do something, I don’t have to like it. But that I still need to do it. I’m off to put on my walking shoes and take my walk. *sigh* Get it done and then it is over with for the day! *even bigger sigh*

Thanks for the reminder! :-)

Johanna • September 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm

@Sheri – Just wanted to say that I’m rooting for your. One step at a time. You can do it!

Johanna • September 5, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I’ve was ill all spring and lost 10 kg. But when my appetite returned I gained it all back and then some! I don’t weigh that much, but I’m at the heaviest weight ever and cannot exercise like I used to because of an operation wound that is still a little tender. I find walking so boring and would love to run, and it’s extremely frustrating watching others do it but not be able to myself. So I’m in the same boat as you, need to walk and get my weight down but don’t much feel like it!

Pam • September 6, 2010 at 12:14 am

@Lisa – I hadn’t thought of that. I will be 60 in less than 120 days (haven’t stopped to count exactly how many yet), and will weigh much less at my 60th birthday than I weighed at 40 or 50! So maybe getting really old isn’t so bad. That, and I can retire in a couple of years!

Pam • September 6, 2010 at 12:16 am

@lee – So true, when you’re overweight, that is your one and only problem, according to the medical profession. Now that I’m getting to a normal weight, I wonder what exactly will be my doctor’s response to my complaint that my knees still hurt like a mother, and so does my shoulder.

Ana • September 6, 2010 at 11:10 pm

@Jackie – I just moved to CH and I’m trying to get involved in activities and meet people. Are you taking any other newcomers to your walking group? If so, drop me a line at Ana (dot) alvarezv (at) gmail.com. Thanks!

Maringa • September 7, 2010 at 7:09 am

Loved the post – thanks for the perspective…I was wonderin why this time (tryin to loose weight) is so much harder… A change is as good as a holiday – fresh thinking might just give me the needed booste to go for it!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers • September 8, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I randomly picked up your book at the library the other day and absolutely loved every word of it. I had no idea you were a blogger until I read the book then saw you’re speaking at Fitbloggin AND in NC. (Umm I’m not a stalker… just excited since now your book and your blog have both made me laugh out loud;))

Tracy • September 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm

PQ–I’m sure you are tired of hearing people’s suggestions on what to eliminate from your diet to help with your migraines.

Have you ever considered the LEAP approach? It involves a blood test that can pinpoint what foods you need to avoid. You can find more info at nowleap.com. I am a Registered Dietitian and have heard from other RDs that work with LEAP that the results can be truely amazing. It might help you to take out some of the dietary trial and error.

Hope you find a solution!

Multifunction and multi-user desk is shared by people and cats : TreeHugger
If this works I totally need one. My left hand is half-numb because I've got a cat draped on it.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Site Meter