Billy the bookcase’s long short lost twin

The universe loves to toy with me. Evidence?

Billy 1, the original

Object #1: The brown/black BILLY bookcase I bought on impulse at IKEA last month for $59.99 (plus tax).

Billy's evil twin

Object #2: The brown/black BILLY bookcase abandoned at the bottom of the stairs outside my apartment 5 days ago. (Note: This is not the same bookcase. They occupy two different areas of the space-time continuum.) I checked the front and back and the shelf notches, and there is no doubt that this is a BILLY bookcase. Looks like he made friends with the abandoned umbrella that has been there since I moved in.

Considering the length of time that this bookcase has been sitting literally at my doorstep, it’s safe to say it’s been abandoned, probably by the college students who were moving out this week. Soooooo, if I had not been so impulsive at IKEA, I could have scooped up BILLY 1′s twin brother, BILLY 2, for free. As it is, I’m probably going to grab BILLY 2 and put him in the kitchen to use as a huge spice rack.

I would really like to know what the probability of something like this happening is. Yes, there are probably thousands of BILLY the bookcases in the world, if not millions. But seriously? The same color? The same size? Only a month after my first trip to IKEA? So totally bizarre. If this were a plot element in a novel I would say it should be rewritten because it’s impossible to believe.

On a totally different note, if you were wondering who won the Omron Pace/Distance Tracker, it was Shelley from Boston who has already claimed her prize. Thanks to everyone who entered! Don’t feel bad if you didn’t win. At least you didn’t spend over $60 on a bookcase the universe decided to give you for free.

The Mama • August 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Oh my goodness I can’t believe that! Well, might as well drag Billy 2 into the house…

Lanie • August 6, 2010 at 9:15 pm

put that thing on Craigs list and see if you can get twenty bucks out of it!

Debby • August 6, 2010 at 9:58 pm

PQ, what are the two things sitting on top of BILLY? Are they lamps?

PastaQueen • August 6, 2010 at 11:00 pm

@Debby – The thing on the right is a Chines style lamp I got at Target. The thing on the left is Albert, my electric bugaloo fish.

angie • August 6, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Think of it as “buy one, get 1 free” kind of deal.

Elizabeth • August 7, 2010 at 2:08 am

That’s beautiful. If that happened to me, I’d be sure that the universe was trying to tell me to buy more books. :D

gazellegirl • August 7, 2010 at 2:51 am

Yeah, I was gonna say it’s like you got 2 at half-price!

adrienne • August 7, 2010 at 7:55 am

Or the universe thought your Billy needed a mate.

But if you don’t believe in cabinet romance, there’s always sheer furniture magnetism.

Debby • August 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm

@PastaQueen – Thanks for the link! I absolutely LOVE Albert! He’s too cool for words! :-)

Lyn • August 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Awesome! Now if you are lucky, there will be a Java Bean clone in one of your closets!

Suzanne • August 7, 2010 at 10:32 pm

You have manefested Billy 2—he is yours, contact IKEA and see if you can buy more little nubbies to hold the shelves and maybe get some extras shelves…I saw that Amazon box sitting there by yur desk, you know you love books and you’re a writer so you know you will need more book shelves…even if you stash it in a closet to make a secret bookcase…go get him.

Anna • August 8, 2010 at 6:26 am

…and the best part – it comes pre-assembled!

Denise • August 8, 2010 at 6:40 pm

There’ s a line in this song that goes, “Billy the bookcase says, ‘hello.’” I thought it would amuse you:

julie • August 8, 2010 at 11:27 pm

if you still have your receipt, you could return billy #1 or try to sell it on craigslist, if you dont need two. or just keep it.

Heather • August 9, 2010 at 11:15 am

What a great find! I wish I found a treasure like that on my doorstep.

Plus you don’t even have to assemble it – bonus points for Billy the Bookcase!

Nell E. • August 10, 2010 at 5:39 am

Just look at it that way: Not only do you get 2-for-1, but the second one is already assembled! No fighting over too many pegs!

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine