Moving Diary: Farewell, Indiana! Truckin’ it to North Carolina.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010
12:00pm – Drive to Budget with Baby Brother to pick up truck that I reserved with 20% off coupon. Beat that, U-haul. After visual inspection, decide to get 16′ truck instead of 10′ truck to be sure everything will fit. Desk clerks are answering phones and swearing at their 1980′s dot-matrix printer that is malfunctioning like any printer older than my Baby Brother would. Remembering my Jetta vs. armored truck incident, I buy extra insurance.

12:30pm – Dial Baby Bro’s cell phone from my Saturn as I trail behind him on the way home, totally disregarding Oprah’s No Phone Zone campaign.

“Hey, did they put a dolly on the truck?”

“…”

12:40pm – Say hi to clerks who hate their jobs and grab last dolly, tossing it in the trunk with my back seats folded down.

1:00pm-4:00pm – Baby Bro and I load the truck with approximately 70 boxes, two bookshelves, a night stand, a kitchen cart, and a TV stand. Process goes so amazingly smoothly that I fully expect the truck to explode tomorrow morning.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010
3:00am – Wake up in middle of the night, certain thieves have broken the padlock on the truck and are stealing my She-Ra action figures. Realize She-Ra is fully capable of protecting herself with her magic sword and talking horse. Go back to sleep.

6:30am – Wake up to sun, dreading 13-hour trip ahead of me, yet also wanting to get this show on the road.

7:30am – Crawl out of bed. Make coffee. Eat oatmeal. Pack electronic items and remaining miscellaneous materials into car. Baby Bro hands me Tekken 3 PlayStation Game that he borrowed many years ago. Grateful for the return, but where the hell am I supposed to put this?

8:50am – Say good-bye to Mom who is bawling her eyes out and doing the ugly cry. Give one last hug, tell her I love her, and tell her she can visit anytime.

The ugly cry

9:00am – Baby Bro leads in the Budget truck and I follow in the Saturn. Carolinas, here we come!

9:10am – Expected my feline company to be crying like I’d revealed cat chow was made from baby kittens. Instead, it is frighteningly quiet and I can see Java Bean in the front seat cowering in the back of his carrier.

11:00am – Nearly careen into bright yellow semi-truck and a mini-van as Baby Bro and I merge into the far right lane on the I-65 bridge to Louisville. Didn’t check to see if they did, but wouldn’t blame anyone for flipping us the bird.

12:00pm – Stop for gas in Lexington. Baby Bro shields the price on the pump from me. “How much do you think it is?” he asks.

“I dunno, $40?”

Baby Bro cringes, removes hand. Price is $50 and still climbing! Does not bode well for my chances on The Price is Right.

12:10pm – Park truck in Meijer parking lot and drive with Bro in Saturn for lunch at the busiest Chic-fil-A in America. There are two packed drive-thrus and a line literally out the door. Fast food only considered fast to geriatric snails.

12:20pm – Convinced thieves are breaking into the truck and stealing my Cowboy Bebop DVD collection.

12:30pm – Return to parking lot and glad to see padlock in place. Get back on the road after eating lunch. Merge onto highway without pissing off any truckers this time.

3:30pm – Stop for stretch break in Knoxville, Tennessee. Feline company is uninterested in getting out for food or pee break.

4:00pm – Back on the road. Baby Bro is getting sick of same three songs playing on pop radio over and over again. Glad I have MP3 player filled with music, podcasts, and audio books, but feel a bit guilty for it. The random-play-all function would work better if it didn’t keep pulling audio book chapters into the mix. “Chapter Four” is really hard to dance too.

5:00pm – Wow, the mountains are BEAUTIFUL!

5:20pm – HOLY SHIT, the mountains are SCARY! SLOW DOWN! SLOW DOWN! For the love of GOD, SLOW DOWN!!!

7:00pm – Bladder is about to burst. Tell Oprah to go BLEEP herself and call Baby Bro on cell phone, asking for pee break. Stop at Morganton exit in North Carolina. Let the feline company out. Java Bean hides under pedals, still too terrified to pee. Officer Krupke is particularly cuddly today.

I'll press the pedals. You steer!

7:30pm – Back in the vehicles for one final push to Big Bro’s house in Durham!

8:30pm – Sun is setting. Turn air conditioner down and take sunglasses off. Headache has been playing fairly nice today, but is starting to kick the inside of my skull. Pop a pill from my purse. Realize it has been MUCH easier following someone on this drive. No need to monitor speed, decide to pass people, or watch exits carefully. Has most likely saved my headache from squeezing my brain particularly hard and causing me to careen off a scenic cliff.

9:30pm – See exit sign for Chapel Hill! If I’d signed my lease already, I’d be almost home now!

10:00pm – Arrive at Big Bro’s house in Durham. Stagger out of car, carrying feline company with me into guestroom.

11:00pm – Crash in guestroom where feline company is presumably hiding under the bed, grateful the truck did not explode and that I am still in possession of She-Ra action figures.

To be continued…

2 Trackbacks

[...] some underwear, plus everything that is currently hanging in my closet. I felt rather ridiculous moving all these boxes of clothes across state lines last year, and felt rather sore carrying them up the stairs. (Or rather, my Lil’ Brother felt sore for [...]

[...] lamps on the street, which I wish they would keep up indefinitely. (After all, I am the woman who moved 600 miles away to escape the cold Indiana winter.) To add to the confusion, streets are now sporting new signs [...]

Karen • July 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Absolutely cannot wait for next installment.

Jen, a priorfatgirl • July 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm

so glad everyone made it, safely! Hope you got a good nights sleep, I’m sure you needed it!

Carbzilla • July 5, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Hooray – glad you made it safely! Awww, leaving your mother in tears just broke my heart. My mom still cries when I leave from a visit. I’m like “Pull it together, woman.”

Glad the headache (it doesn’t have a proper name by now? Fred in your head?) was playing nice. Driving with headache sucks!

Sadly ItsTrue'yPants • July 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm

you are funnier than I could ever EVER hope to be.

wish youd moved to AUSTIN but Im happy for you and a wee bit jealous of your new home.

Mymsie • July 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Please drink a Cheerwine for me! *pine*

Coyote • July 5, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Glad you made it safe.

5:00 – 5:20 – Yeah, those mountains will do that to you.

Jolene • July 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Loved the update, glad you all made it safe and sound, looking forward to part II.

Sara • July 5, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Welcome to NC! I hope you love your time in Chapel Hill. I absolutely adored it for the 6 years I was there, but had to go slightly further east for job/better housing prices.

Cheryl • July 5, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I’ve made far too many cross-country moves to not know what this feels like. Of course, almost all of them I made all by myself, with only a cat for company. Mine usually yowls herself hoarse by hour 4, doesn’t eat, drink or defecate the whole way, and hides under that pedals when I let her out, too!

Kyle • July 5, 2010 at 3:37 pm

The first picture and captions made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants.

shauna/dg • July 5, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Oh I love the pic of you and your ma… so sweet :) Can’t wait for the next chapter… so happy for you! I know I say that every time :)

Kari • July 5, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Since you’ve lived in Louisville, what on earth were you doing not already in the right lane when you got to the bridge? LOL

Which interstate did you take through the mountains? I-26 is particularly fun with all of its “runaway truck” ramps…I’m pretty sure I-40 has them too though.

PastaQueen • July 5, 2010 at 7:09 pm

@Kari – We took the southern route, avoiding the steepest mountains and West Virgina. There were still mountains though, and one or two runaway truck ramps.

ChrissyS • July 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Aw, thanks so much for the update! Prior to this I had been wondering (I think I even commented/inquired at one point) about Mom’s outlook regarding you leaving. And her reply was most stoic, brave, & affirming, as any good Mom’s attitude should be. So I kinda had to go awww when I saw the pic of you and Ma, and poor Ma had come apart. =( Aww.. Hang in there to both of you.

Amy • July 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Sounds like (except for the temporarily missing dolly and pissing off a bunch of truckers) you couldn’t have asked for a better trip. Can’t wait to read how your transition unfolds.

Rachel • July 6, 2010 at 12:29 am

Welcome almost home!

MB • July 6, 2010 at 7:36 am

I’m relieved you, Baby Bro, Java Bean, Officer Krupke and She-Ra made it to N.C. safely. I can’t wait to hear about the rest of your journey. Enjoy!

Skinny Emmie • July 6, 2010 at 9:19 am

Haha, what an adventure so far! Sorry you have to experience the slowest Chick-Fil-A ever here in my lovely town of Lexington. We have 3 of them in town and I swear, each one is always busting at the seams. So glad you and She-Ra are safe.

Bridget • July 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I live and work in the Morganton area. Welcome to NC!

Vicki • July 6, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I applaud you for deciding to move to move away. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision. Luckily you’re not tied down to a job or other obligations. You are free to move and explore. It’s exciting, isn’t it? A little stressful too.

8 years ago I moved from NJ to the Washington, D.C. area. I transferred to D.C. for work, but also to start a new life. I was excited, scared, stressed and wondering what the hell I was doing. I only knew one person at work. I didn’t have any connections otherwise. It was just me and my cat. But 8 years later I have a circle of good friends and a wonderful boyfriend.

As you will find, moving to a new area is exhilarating. There’s so much to see and do. And when you long for a certain annual event back home or to see your family and friends you just go and visit.

While I don’t really fit in with all of the “stuffed shirts” in Washington I do appreciate the area for all of its history, free museums and national monuments and great cultural activities. There’s great trails here and lots of parks and open space. If I drive an hour out of the city I experience Virginia’s beautiful mountains, countryside and wine country. Also can make it to the Eastern Shore for a great day trip, and VA Beach for a weekend trip. You will find many new things to love about NC too. You will see.

As for me, I got laid off from my job in Feb. ’09 and am now working as a personal trainer and freelance writer. Like you I am seeking less cold, winter weather. My boyfriend and I are discussing the possibility of moving somewhere warmer within the next few years. Ready to start over again, but this time with a partner.

My cat had to be tranquilized for the move here and will have to be tranquilized again. She freaks out the second I put her in the carrier. She hyperventilates just going the short drive to the vet.

All the best to you in your new digs! Congrats!

Krissie • July 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Your Lexington stop? You were pretty much at my house. Like less than a mile away. Like I’ve ran into that Meijer for potty breaks during a run. Neat-o! We hate that gas station, though. It’s a bear to get out of.

All Chick-Fil-As around here are always packed. I blame it on the lemonade.

So glad you had safe travels!