You’d better get used to it, Java Bean

I got the cat carriers out of the closet this week as a preemptive strategic maneuver against the felines in the household. If the cat carriers are already out, the cats won’t freak out and dash under the bed when I grab their furry behinds to stuff them into the plastic prisons. Bwa, ha, ha! I have opposable thumbs and a cerebrum, which gives me the ability to plan. You are no match for me, kitties!

Then, yesterday afternoon, what did I find but this:

Cat in a carrier

I bet he wouldn’t be napping in there if he knew what was in store for him this week. At least I know he likes his temporary prison!

SG • June 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm

when i moved from arizona back to ny, i brought my two cats with me. and i drove. it was about 4 days. i thought they’d be FREAKING out. i was sure i’d have to endure 4 doays of howling. surprisingly, that was not the case. they just sat in the carrier the whole time. i almost forgot they were there half the time. the harder part was taking them out each night (and finding hotels that allowed pets)…putting out litter and food and water….and then packing it all up again the next morning.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • June 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I remember having to close all the doors and it being SUCH a project to get the cats into the cat carrier. Holy cow did they hate that. Mine NEVER would have been napping in it like that, no matter how long it stayed upstairs. Hopefully he will like the new home!

msmezzo • June 28, 2010 at 4:59 pm

My little cat always goes right into the carrier as soon as I bring it out. The big cat? Not so much.

Carole • June 28, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Actually, they come to adore the carrier after you drive for half an hour. I’m not saying it’s Stockholm Syndrome, I’m just saying they get used to it.

Ruby Leigh • June 28, 2010 at 6:25 pm

my little kitty does this too… silly kitty!

The other two – not so much!

Tish • June 28, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Love the eyes, looking out on the world from the safety of his cave.

Coyote • June 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Evil overlord :P

The Merry • June 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Awww, he reminds me of Pepper, the family lab-mix. Since my brother (the ‘official’ owner) refused to have that operation done on his dog, Pepper used to jump the six-foot fence to increase the dog population in our neighborhood.
One day the dog catcher saw him, pulled over, and jumped out of her truck leaving the door open. Pepper promptly jumped in the front seat and sat there, tail wagging, eagerly waiting for a ride somewhere fun. Poor puppy got streetwise real soon — he had to ride in the back in a crate.
The dog catcher was laughing as she told me this tale. Pepper, alas, did not see the funny side. The next time she saw him, he streaked back home; she caught him as he was trying to jump back into his yard.
[Yes, eventually we nagged persuaded our brother to let the dog get fixed. Took awhile, though.]

Sandy • June 28, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Like other posters, we had one cat who absolutely adored the carrier – whenever we couldn’t locate him, we would just go look in the carrier and he would just be cuddled up in it asleep.

Hunter • June 29, 2010 at 5:24 am

How funny. I do what you do and get out my carrier the day before the vet visit. Somehow though, “the chosen one” knows and hides, while the rest of the bunch lounge in, out, on top of the carrier. I have a hard time getting them out in order to put “the chosen one” in. You’d think I was trying to maul her. And the fur loss…holy cow!!! Oh and, after the vet has finished poking and prodding, “the chosen one” can’t wait to get back into the carrier. Go figure. =^..^=

Donna • June 29, 2010 at 9:12 am

What about Officer Krupke?

PastaQueen • June 29, 2010 at 10:09 am

@Donna – Krupke’s smart enough not to go in there willingly :)

schmei • June 29, 2010 at 11:44 am

We do that, too, but our cat doesn’t chill in the cat carrier until after all the vet business is over and we’ve taken her home.

She does the cutest thing on long (3-4 hour) car trips: once we’re on the highway, she usually falls asleep, and then an hour or so later she’ll wake up, disoriented, and give a surprised “mrrrow?” which sounds like “Wait, where the hell am I?” We just have to talk to her for a minute and then she’s cool, but it kills me every time.

Good luck moving with the kitties! Do you have a rest stop planned for them? I know nothing about traveling more than 4 hours with a cat in the car…

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • June 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Ahhhhhh!!

Lynn • June 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Very cute! Be careful of the heat and don’t allow any possibility of escape. They will get used to the travel. Mine did that questioning meow once, too.

Mom Taxi Julie • June 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I had a cat absolutely shred his claws trying to get out. It was horrible!

Kristine W • June 30, 2010 at 10:24 am

Just please be super careful that they don’t slip out on you at any point. I lost a cat during a move once, bolted out of carrier and when I opened the car door, he was GONE into the woods at rest area. Looked forever, no cat. Be cautious. :)

Jeanne • July 1, 2010 at 1:30 am

I think it’s a great idea to leave it out like a piece of furniture. I have two cats and both also run and hide in fear. We have to sedate one because he goes so ballistic that he draws blood, our blood. My vet gave me
Diazepam to mellow him out half an hour before. Best of luck on your move.

Shiyam • July 1, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Hey Pasta Queen! Good luck with the move!! Just wanted to say hi, I bought your book and loved it :)

Site Meter