The pajama question

I went to the Country Music Hall of Fame when I was in Nashville, because I was a tourist and it seemed like a tourist-y thing to do. There were some weird things there, like this taxidermy band made of squirrels that Hank Williams shot himself, which I definitely didn’t want:

Squirrel band

And this oboe clarinet lamp, which I totally did want:

Oboe lamp

I wonder if you can blow through the light bulb socket and make it play?

Of all the items at the museum, the one that stuck with me was a pair of Hank Williams “cinnamon-orange silk pajamas.” I didn’t take a photo of them because…I didn’t. Sorry, live with it. First off, it seems odd to me to describe pajamas as cinnamon colored because it makes them sound edible. I’m 99% sure they were not edible. But secondly, it made me wonder, at what point do your pajamas become museum worthy? My pajamas—not currently museum worthy. However, if I were to put my pajamas in a vacuum-sealed container for the next 1000 years, I bet they would be considered museum worthy by our descendants. They might not even wear pajamas in the future! They might all be living naked on the moon! The pajamas of a 21st century, middle-class woman would be considered a relic, just as the pajamas of a 11th century, serf would be museum worthy today.

But Hank Williams is not 1000 years old. His pajamas are in a museum because…I really don’t know why. Do country music fans really care about his pajamas? I guess if you’re a big Hank Williams fan you might be interested. If you consider Hank an icon, seeing his pajamas humanizes him and makes him seem like a real person who wears bed clothes like the rest of us. They’re the pajamas behind the persona. So, within that particular subculture, Hank’s pajamas are museum worthy. However, they’d never make it to the British museum or the Louvre. I mean, the Louvre doesn’t even display textiles, do they? Maybe they do. It’s a huuuuuuuge place and I don’t care enough to look it up.

So, that’s what I got from visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame—a pajama puzzle. I’m weird, I know. As for the rest of the museum, it really wasn’t that big so I didn’t feel like I got my money’s worth. But I’m not big into country music either. The sound design of the museum was rather cool though. They had directional speakers hanging from the ceiling so you’d hear different songs at different spots in the building. I wouldn’t qualify the place as a must-see though, unless you’re really into pajamas.

One Trackback

[…] Pasta Queen has some thoughts about pajamas. […]

100 DAYS IN BED • June 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm

That taxidermy band of squirrels made me pee my pants. HILARIOUS!

Alan • June 15, 2010 at 12:02 am

My wife, an oboist, tells me this is a clarinet. (But it took her a minute, so don’t feel bad). And I have admit, I wondered how an oboe made it into a country music museum.

Andrea Lee • June 15, 2010 at 12:36 am

yah.

check the fluted base. My bro checked that place out – you gave it a better review than he did, though he ALSO loved the taxidermy done by HE HIMSELF. :D

Kyle • June 15, 2010 at 3:29 am

I would be interested in Shakira’s pajamas if they were in a museum.

Shea • June 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

I heart the clarinet lamp. There was a place in San Francisco that sold them (along with other instruments) and I lusted after them. I though about having it done to my old oboe, but I just couldn’t render a perfectly good instrument unusable.

I don’t really get the the PJs in a museum either. Was he known for his pajamas? I could see maybe Hugh Heffner’s (though I wouldn’t really go out of my way to see those, either), though I guess he’s more known for his robe. When it comes to museum-worthy clothing, I don’t think it’s nearly as important as Mr. Rogers’ sweater in the Smithsonian.

PastaQueen • June 15, 2010 at 9:46 am

@Alan – Oh man, I debated whether it was a clarinet or an oboe, but I went with oboe. I was even in band for 6 years, so it’s particularly sad I got it wrong.

Jean • June 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I was just talking about this place today w/a co-worker. While this ‘new’ one is bigger, it’s definitely not better than the ‘old’ one.

Suzanne • June 19, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Hey, YOU ARE A CRAFTY GIRL! You must have forgotten for a moment. Buy a crappy student clarinet(or oboe) off EBAY or a pawn shop, buy a lamp kit from Lowes or online, buy a piece of wood or have Lowes cut one for you, paint it/stain it…drill a hole in the bottom and expoxy them together and epoxy a harp on top (like where the reed goes and get a cute shade or make a cool shade…voila! YOU can do it girl! (sheet music glued to a cheap shade would be cute w/a black border.)